It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Info required regarding Comet P76 and the moons of mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have recently been told some information that I need either confirming or debunking. I am not an astronomer, not even an amateur one so I need help with this from people in the know.

The info I received was that the Comet P76 struck Mars on June 3rd 2000 ... and the maximum solar flare also occurred on that date, sending a gravitational surge towards Mars.

The message then continues that ... there is no confirmation that the two moons of mars are still in orbit and that NASA is not talking nor is the European Space Agency, means that the reports from amateur astronomers have seen a moon size object floating around the earth, which is suggested that it was captured as it crossed the path of the earth orbit, drawn towards the sun from Mars orbit.

So - is this true. Did the comet hit mars and are Phobos and Deimos still in Martian orbit. (I had already heard that one of the moons was in a declining orbit and would eventually impact mars, but this was not to happen for some millions of years).

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This isn't scientific proof that the moons are still there. Searching the newsgroups with google, there is a message where Dave (whoever/wherever he is, "Dave's not here, man!" )says he and a friend saw the moons in August 2003:

One example is that last August during the Mars Opposition I managed to see only Deimos while another guy saw only Phobos, but after comparing notes we were able to see the other guy's moon, but it was interesting and puzzling why we both saw one but not the other, and why he saw the brighter but closer one and I saw the dimmer but farther one.

groups.google.com...

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
As of 8 March 2004 the mars rovers (that are on mars) took pictures of both moons in eclipse.

So I would say they are still there. At mars that is. heh.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by Xeven]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. They definitely help.
The Martian moons are still there. Anything about the comet ? Did it hit the planet ?

jra

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I follow space news a fair bit i'd like to think. I've never heard anything about a comet hitting Mars at all. But I might have missed that, so I can't say for sure.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
i never heard of any comets hitting mars within the past few years, but i may have missed that as well. i'll do some digging.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
i did some searching on google and the only thing i was able to find was that it made a very close approach, and that's it. also, as large as a solar flare could get i don't think that it could knock the moons out of orbit.

top topics

join