It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faerie Circles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Everything started to go downhill for me when some kid down the street told me that Santa wasn't real. No more magic, no more belief in something I couldn't prove, no more fun, and no more mystery.

I can't help but wonder that primitive life may be better. Some island where nobody goes, where fairy tales are real, animals talk, and Unicorns can be seen - but only if you are pure.

Do we really need science? I would trade quality of life for science any day. When I was little my father had purchased a few small metal signs that said beware of dragons. He went out that night and nailed them to the trees in a little forest near where we lived. My little sister and I walked through that forest shortly after that, holding my dads hands while he told us that dragons had been spotted in the area so we had to be very careful. It became real when he pointed out the signs but as long as we held his hand we knew that we were safe.

We gathered up a bunch of sticks and stones and built a ferry circle with a little house. We left little notes and cakes for the ferries because my dad said if the ferries liked the little house we built for them they would leave a present under our pillow. You can't imagine the feeling I felt when I found a little present under my pillow the next day.

I'm grown up now and can look back on it. The real magic that happened to me as a child was all because my dad felt it was more important to teach me about mystery and hope rather than science and academics. In every dream I had as a child I felt his love watching over me.

Is this world really that great that we should throw away everything that makes life worth living? The mystery, the fun, the belief in things that can't be proved, etc. Maybe dragons and faerie circles are not real, but how real would they have been 300 years ago? I can't help but feel that we are losing something very important.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by factbeforefiction]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by factbeforefiction

Not me man I love that kind of stuff... if for not other reason than to see the light of wonder in a young child's eyes when you tell them the old stories...
speaking of old stories like this go check this post
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thank you, I'm about to read it now. And I agree, we can't lose the magic, it's too important.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
When your a kid your open to everything! But because of the modern lifestyles we lead today many have lost the ability to be truly open minded!

Its sad but true...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When my thirteen year old daughter was about five she had a real fascination for fairies and would spend hours drawing them and asking me about fairy legends.

Anyway someone at school (a teacher) told her that fairies do not exist and this was very annoying to me because in the next sentence this teacher then went on to mention something about god. As I am about as religious as a barn door I decided to reinforce my daughters sense of a magical world by taking direct action.

That night I gave her a real boost to her belief in fairies when I went to the bottom of the garden and started flicking a pair of lighters on and off while hidden amongst dense foliage. Her face at the window was amazing, a five year old with eyes like eggs and a delighted squeal.

As she hurtled down the stairs to the ground floor, intent on rushing out into the garden I quickly rushed into the house via another door and nonchalantly asked what all the commotion was about as she raced through the ground floor and out into the garden. It was just before midnight and she was squealing at the top of her lungs “the fairies are real dad they are real dad, come see.”

At thirteen years of age (nearly 14 now) she still believes they exist and I have not got the heart to tell her it was a manic dad in the garden with a pair of lighters and a massive grin.

Oh, and I made an official complaint to the school about the teacher and her attempted religious indoctrination of my child. The teacher never tried to infringe on ground she had no rights to infringe upon again because I mentioned legal action in the strongest terms.

If my daughter wants to get into god and all that stuff later on as an adult, that is fine but while she is a child I say not on my watch.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Wow, I read it. Very cool. And now the question is, if so many diverse culture have so many similar stories, maybe it's not as unreal as we have been programmed to think.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

You're a good father sir. Your story gave me tears. Bravo for you - keep the magic.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I love my wife because she isn't like everyone else. She has what doctors describe as dyslexia. Uses both hands, writes and reads backwards sometimes.. and believes in fairies.

She swears that she visited the fairy realm. She says she could still see what was going on in this world, but that she was living in different one. She's never gave me a reason to believe otherwise other than I've never seen a fairy...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I believe in fairies and nature spiritis!

I've always believed in fairies and still do because I've never been given any reason not to believe they exist. I used to spend many hours in the woods near my home and had a great time climbing high in the trees and just feeling all the energies around me.

Magic is still all around us its just that so many of us don't take the time to stop and feel it, see, it, hear, it, play with it. Things like the wonder of a flower blooming, the beautiful songs of birds - not many stop to notice anymore - and they're magical things.

I regular visit the woods with my children and we're always thoughtful and careful of accidently standing on anything that looks like it may have been built by the fairies.

Where would we be without magic and fairies?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
I love my wife because she isn't like everyone else. She has what doctors describe as dyslexia. Uses both hands, writes and reads backwards sometimes.. and believes in fairies.

She swears that she visited the fairy realm. She says she could still see what was going on in this world, but that she was living in different one. She's never gave me a reason to believe otherwise other than I've never seen a fairy...

You are a very special man to be loved by such a person. Hold tight, it's a miracle when you find someone who believes in things they can't touch.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
I believe in fairies and nature spiritis!

I've always believed in fairies and still do because I've never been given any reason not to believe they exist. I used to spend many hours in the woods near my home and had a great time climbing high in the trees and just feeling all the energies around me.

Magic is still all around us its just that so many of us don't take the time to stop and feel it, see, it, hear, it, play with it. Things like the wonder of a flower blooming, the beautiful songs of birds - not many stop to notice anymore - and they're magical things.

I regular visit the woods with my children and we're always thoughtful and careful of accidently standing on anything that looks like it may have been built by the fairies.

Where would we be without magic and fairies?

Thank you, I completely agree.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by factbeforefiction

Wow, I read it. Very cool. And now the question is, if so many diverse culture have so many similar stories, maybe it's not as unreal as we have been programmed to think.

Many of us believe there was contact between old and new worlds on a much friendlier basis than we've been taught... Inscription rock down in Los Lunas might just be proof of that too..

[edit on 1-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The loss of my ability to perceive the 'magic' in the world around me was one of the most depressing aspects of 'growing up'.

I would walk through the woods and hills and everything seemed empty and hollow.

I hated it.

Then I realized it did not have to be that way. My perception that there was no magic in the world had such a profoundly negative impact on the quality of my life I realized it's importance and it's reality.

Now I actively work to keep the magic alive in my life. In as many ways as possible.

I embrace that which can not be seen and felt only known and I love it.

I have made my life into a ritual that celebrates magic and mystery and I am a better person for it.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Few years ago, I lived in a house with an old tree stump in the front garden.

One year I got some doll house windows, some doors and some wood, and made the tree stump into a little house with little lights behind the windows, it looked fantastic when it was done.

Kids would come and stare and giggle, convinced Faeries lived there, my Daughter loved it, she would leave cakes by the stump.

Then one night while we where out some yobs came and smashed it to pieces leaving just the stump again, my Daughter was so upset, but I told her they had moved to a new tree in the Forest somewhere.

Even now at 15, even though she knows it's myth, she still talks of them, and loves the forest when we go, like me she believes all myth has a hint of truth, and love to believe somewhere in a place untouched by man, there do indeed live Faeries.

It hurts none.

But if you have an old tree stump in your garden, give it a go, they look fantastic, and helps a childs imagination no end, not to mention a great addition to the garden.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What an amazing thread thank you op, you had a great father.

Seeing what a great muck up science has done to this world, I'm inclined to go back to chatting with the fey. It seems so many of these old tales were about sharing the land with all of nature and not disrespecting it.

We share a part of this great planet, we do not own it.

new topics

top topics

join