It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California to ban divorce

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I agree that this is a brilliant piece of legislation that not only points out the hypocrisy of the Family Values Pulpit but puts them in a corner where they need to put up or shut up.

It is a double standard to allow rights to one demographic while denying them to another...simple as that.

If those who embrace Family Values really feel that way and it's not just empty rhetoric, hollow words, or a matter of convenience, then they should openly embrace this legislation. If they don't then they have spoken very clearly what their real position is...being one of discrimination and nothing more.

I think John Marcotte should say "Check" as the Family Values camp has limited options before it is "Mate".

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
So what to think well till death do us part really fly in this day and age???
back in the days when till death do us part the church still had annulments but this would be the frist real law that states "Your stuck with her buddy"!

To take the divorce out of court and to put it back in the church is the right step.

It should already be banned since traditional marriage is a religious matter, and the court should not do anything for or against it based on the Constitutional rights.

Why hasn't it been banned already from court?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas

To take the divorce out of court and to put it back in the church is the right step.

Oh sure ... sort of like a Christian Sharia.

Hey, while we're at it, why don't just do that with them schools.

Sheesh ...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Banning divorce entirely would be Crazy.

But

I do think they should make it a damn lot harder to divorce reduce profits to be had by women when there is a divorce and return this to a MUCH more serious decision both in terms of getting married and getting divorced particularly when children are involved...

I'm not going to even take sides in my own divorce...

Both of us, would have behaved allot differently if there were things involved like....counseling before being allowed to be married... i.e no quickie marriages

If it wasn't a situation where a simple snake of my finances could make it easy to do.

If personal behavior had to be accounted for by both

i'm just saying, i'm no angel, neither was she and my story and 90% of the stories of divorce I have seen are stories of greed, lack of respect, no accountability

Above anything that went on in the relationship, which was mostly a decent relationship, mostly a financially successful union, on both parts a great set of parenting skills

Was the outside influence of ENCOURAGEMENT

In other words... a State of society which encouraged BOTH of us to do so, over crass reasons...

Friends who wished to have time and sought to create social situations that divided us...

Family who made no effort to make life easy for simple reasons like each side wanting us to live closer to the other and wouldn't so much as drive or get on a plane to visit making it emotionally hard alternatively for one or the other.

Friends and relatives that blatantly tried to encourage single behaviors like girls and boys nights out or partying.

Sexual temptation and zero rule of law for either to encourage the capacity to defend their spouse on either end.

Those who encouraged it as a method of financial gain

I'd say...outside influence and lack of respect for marriage in general was 95% the cause of my divorce.

And I'd say that goes for most people... even shrinks if you go for therapy will ask quneations about personal satisfaction, and are you happy very day etc etc almost encouraging that if your not in an almost impossible situation where, no one ever gets ill or has problems or sexual tensions develop then it's somehow your duty to be self pleasuring daily and succumb to utterly selfish behaviors... and this is not realistic...

it's supposed to be

Through sickness and health.... not eh, shes depressed i'm going to the bar with my boys...

It's supposed to be for better or worse... not There's an economic downturn so i'm going to leave so I cna date and go out more often...

and where kids are involved...

I think on that level we both failed... at least in my story

Because the truth, the things we expect to have daily is the life of a single person not a union with economic and child rearing goals and I freely admit at times I was guilty as charged too...

An 80% divorce rate...

Is an utter failure to kids

In a nation where we laughably say... NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND

80% of kids get left behind emotionally...

In many ways... I AM HAPPIER now...

Single, allot of my week free to act like a 22 year old when I am 39...

And I guess sometimes I feel a bit guilty about that, because I am living it up...

And my kids get me 2 days a week and never have mom and dad together... the divorce was not my choice I tried to change it, but was fighting a horde of people... she was on the fence too, but was and is,.... still affected by pride and a horde from girlfriends that want her company to a mom that sees collecting a check and being left free of responsibility to a system that makes it very every easy...

Truth is... there was nothing all that wrong worth fighting over beyond...personal greed and...

even as I wrote this... i'm not there trying to talk yet again, my pride is bruised...

so maaaaaaaybe

They should take this out of our hands.... a BIT

Make it allot harder, demand we take it a bit more seriously

Not ban it... because there ARE reasons sometimes...

But I find it's just real, real, real easy to be selfish with your emotions and efforts in regards to other peoples lives... encouraged...

Maybe...

No quickie marriages

The ability for counseling to be free under this health care bill

The capacity to SUE the life off of anyone who....cheats with a married person for damages, i.e. if you encourage by words or deeds actions that lead to the disruption of a Union, the partner male or female can seek real meaningful damages.And the allowance of a person to act "in self defense" i.e throw offenders from home, physically if need be come between those who would break your union...

I don't think pit viper woman would have come onto me, if my ex... could have, pulled the hair from their heads and not go to jail nor did I think the opposite would ever have happened if me and a bat were still allowed to have what to say, might sound barbaric but it worked through human civilization for the last 10,000 years until the early 80's

At the very least and maybe better the right to Sue effectively might make Milf lovers and gold diggers hesitate

Forced counseling before divorce mandated with the testimony of the counselor admissible in proceedings would encourage a bit more... courtesy to one another when it went beyond...he said she said, if there is a professional who would testify...she was real uncooperative or he was a real uncooperative....______

And a lessening of all support to a survival minimum....

My ex is completely unemployed LOL.... That alone is a good reason to divorce, "I CAN QUIT WORKING" yeah... that might very well tip the scales lol

My 10 yr old apparently needs enough per month to lease a Lexus...

And that's the worst and lowest of this system, the kids come to want it, they get double holidays, double presents and parents who compete for their favor because they want custody...

it's pretty disgusting

So i don't say BAN it...

But do something about it yeah, because obviously 80% of us wont given the ability to be selfish...

Just honestly... I can see often my ex thinks about having me back and admittedly vice versa...

But i'm screwing coeds now 15 yrs younger than me and shes collecting a pay check, how much effort will doing the right thing get given that there has been allot of hurt too to rationalize it.... hardly any

We wont reconcile after what has gone by without encouragement, someone to get us past pride and hurt...

There used to be priests, parents used to treat it as unthinkable...

Today "she's a whore" "i'm a bum"

Today Love and Children are second to frequency of orgasm financial collections...

I can trade up for a newer model, she doesn't have to work...

Under that kind of condition how can you stay married?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Interesting how many people didn't really read teh article and are just knee jerking on the title. You all do realize that its meant as social commentary and satire of the current ban on gay marriage 'to protect the sanctity of marraige', right?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Well yeah...

But we can't even give that respect lol

Banning gay Marriage is just as sick...

Total encouragement of lack of ties and monogamy in the Gay community which among men has to deal with Aids...

I've grown to be kind of conservative these days and the funny thing is, I totally want Gay marriage legal

The only thing actually bad about Male Homosexuality to me... is having seen the raw level of promiscuity and the terrible consequences...

i'd totally support Gay marriage and sure i know it's a commentary...

But over all, that Gay marriage is illegal shows how little emphasis we put on Love and how much on Sex... being Gay is legal but Gay marriage is not?

It really is retarded to even try and think about... it's Okay to be Gay? for sexual purposes.... Just so long as you never LOVE the person?

LOL WTH?

That's just....Mental

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I could envision the concept of marriage contracts that have initial time limits (i.e. marriage automatically dissolves after X number of years unless re-newed...) before I could envision a (legal not religious) ban on divorce.

Good way to make a point though!

[edit on 1-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

Now THAT'S an excellent idea!! I'd vote for that!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyDawn

Now THAT'S an excellent idea!! I'd vote for that!

Sure I can see it now ...

"So honey, how about renewing my option?"
"Erm, maybe ... btw, that trash ain't gonna throw itself out"

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Oh sure ... sort of like a Christian Sharia.

That is exactly what we are doing with the courts now, so I fail to see your sarcasm there.

The U.S. divorce rate is 47.9 percent, according to data provided by the National Center for Health Statistics reports. That figure, however, does not include California, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Louisiana and Minnesota because those six states no longer report their divorce rates to the center.

Of course they don't report, the court wants to handle every religious matrimony as its own.

Two people join together at church, yet the court has the final say on how each gets treated over the religious act.

Not so funny when it happens to you.

Why have laws to regulate marriage? Besides polygamy....

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Never gonna happen. And if it did, homicide and missing persons cases would sky rocket.

I do love me some satire though.

[edit on 12/1/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well with the mess of a situation we have In Kalifornia and the number of idiotic, incompetent bickering fools that are in the assembly, it is good that he has time for satire.

In this state it is illegal already to divorce someone.

If they are handicapped.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
hell why not try it... they have banned darn near everything else..... but it is not going to make it

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Do I believe this story to be true? No way. Nor would it pass if it was.

But my pesonal belief is that divorce should be made much harder. Extensive counseling should be made a requirement before filing for it. it it were not so easy to obtain it might make people think twice.

Other measures need to be taken in such as requiring couples to receive counseling before getting married.

If there was such a thing passed, there needs to be exceptions for extenuating circumstances such as abuse, contracting stds, felonies, and other extreme circumstances.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join