It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to deploy 30,000 troops to Afghanistan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
Did I dream it, or did Obama campaign that he would immediately start bringing troops home from middle east if he were elected?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Bombeni]

Yes he DID say exactly that. Some poeple like to play the forget game when it comes to their "obama-god".

Video of Obama saying he will bring home troops

[edit on 1-12-2009 by mikelee]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Did I dream it, or did Obama campaign that he would immediately start bringing troops home from middle east if he were elected?

Exactly, you did dream it. Obama never said anything like that -- only that he'd redirect troops from Iraq to Afghanistan. You need to follow the news, man.

Well, why should I follow the news when I have a completely neutral--choke, cough---person like you here at ATS to give me the er, real story?

Some facts for your thoughts

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

reply to post by buddhasystem

My gawd, Barry told so damn many lies, how am I supposed to keep up with all of them? I simply could not recall how he played this one in the campaign since all of what he said has turned out to be a LIE.

Beady eyes, I told my family the first time I laid eyes on him he had beady eyes and I was right. They got on that ridiculous CHANGE furor and I just sat back and shook my head. Now it is they who are hanging their heads in shame.

Good questions, how to keep out an eye on what he promised. Here use these fact checking website which are neutral websites:
www.politifact.com
www.factcheck.org
Political blogs and intentionally misrepresented views will not show you "facts" if you truly are interested in knowing them. Knowledge can be found in many places but "true knowledge" can only be found through "facts".

[edit on 1-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
why? doesnt make any sense. if the elected leader of the usa wants to show he wants to do something to make a real difference then he should. instead he shows he is a limp wrist leader who makes no difference at all. but he does show that he is the exact opposite of what he claimed to be. instead of being a powerful self motivated man who will make a difference he shows he is simply howdy doody whose strings are pulled by buffalo bob and the peanut gallery. shame on you obama. put an end to this. like you promised when you were telling lies to the people who elected you. war is a term that doesnt apply here. this is an exercise in futility. either win it by simply wiping them off the planet which is wrong or bring the troops home. do you like counting the body bags? do you like watching people cry as they grieve dead children you sent to die? do you remember that promise to bring home the troops, or are you already to far in to remember your own lies? must be nice to sit in your silk jammies with the news talking about your wifes outfits, and how you are so inept that you cant stop unknown people from crashing yet another dinner party we all paid for. i say we send you and every relative you have to the front lines tomorrow morning. then let's see hoe you respond. i was hoping for a man of change on many levels. instead you set your people up for failure. and i mean people in more ways than one. if i had 3 wishes one would be that i never voted for you. you make me ill. enjoy the next dinner party. set another couple seats for the ghosts of the people who died since you promised to bring them home safely. if given the chance i would not shake your hand but would turn my back to you obama.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It's all about the 2012 election. Got to keep people employed till economy picks up. By 2012 economy should be showing good life. Obama announces withdrawal and presto-

4 more years of Obama.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It's irrelevant whether it is 2012 election cause or not, Obama stated his policies on Afghanistan before elections and the man is doing them
. He is standing by his words on Afghanistan, no matter whichever way you want to spin it into.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hes nearly got the number of troops up to what the Russians had there.

The Soviet armed forces that invaded Afghanistan in December 1979 consisted of about 40,000 officers and men and their equipment. The fierce resistance by Afghan guerrilla forces mujahidiin, literally meaning warriors engaged in a holy war. forced the Soviets to increase the size and sophistication of their military units, and in late 1985 a United States government official estimated that Soviet units in Afghanistan comprised about 118,000 men, of which about 10,000 were reported to be in the Soviet secret police and other special units.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Some say that the Soviet/Afghan war was at least partly responsible for the collapse of the Soviet Union:

It may seem a bit far-reaching that a country like Afghanistan had any bearing on the fall of the Soviet Union. Anthony Arnold, however, compares Soviet Union with a sick old man and Afghanistan as the pebble which this exhausted sick man stumbled on and fell. One could easily dismiss Arnold's argument if he had been the only expert, or at least among the few writers who had articulated this point. But surprisingly, there are quiet a number of authors who suggest Afghanistan as one of the considerable factors in the demise of the USSR.

www.afghan-web.com...

The USA,still teetering on the edge of recession now has to fund all those extra forces.
It didn't work out too well for the Soviets(or anyone else for that matter),but Obama thinks his surge will fix Afghanistan.
I don't think so,but time will tell.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by December_Rain

Only 30,000 troops though.
If he were serious about winning this war, he would send in another 150,000 troops to go in and zerg the insurgents.

Spoken like a Russian Military Advisor circa 1986....

There are a lot of ex KGB that are saying to themselves...well we were stupid...but the USA? They saw what happened to us ......10 Years in Afghanistan...100k troops...and went ahead and repeated history...that is a special kind of stupid.

With the additional troops we are sending that will match the soviet occupation at it's peak.

255 Americans have died there this year alone...thus far.

As of November 2009, 4,528 American soldiers have been wounded in action in Afghanistan.

NO AMOUNT of troops will make Afghanistan into Disneyland...

I am more concerned with strategy than troop levels. From what I am reading the POTUS insisted the troop increase be contingent on an outlined schedule for training local forces and withdrawing.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
What exactly are we trying to win, in Afgan?

Been X, 8 years..

Whatever..

oh just for you War novel book writers..

What countries does afgan border?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

My gawd, Barry told so damn many lies, how am I supposed to keep up with all of them?

Being disingenuous is a dubious trait, and I feel sorry for you. Obama actually did as he promised and you grieve exactly that. Just amazing. And I saw it coming, too -- if he somehow found cure for cancer, you'd label it a Marxist plot. Just sick sick sick.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Yeah he gave us plenty of change alright, enojgh to last 10 lifetimes.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Yep but unfortunately those who don't follow facts even 1 lifetime is waste.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelee

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Bombeni]

Yes he DID say exactly that. Some poeple like to play the forget game when it comes to their "obama-god".

Video of Obama saying he will bring home troops

Thanks Mikelee,
I was going to look that up... MY how some sheeple forget
especially Mr (ehem) President.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SANTA CLAWS

specially would be good if Obama would have named the country he is talking about. I'd take a wild guess Congo, North Pole, South Pole? Also Facts point differently.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
It's all about the 2012 election. Got to keep people employed till economy picks up. By 2012 economy should be showing good life. Obama announces withdrawal and presto-

4 more years of Obama.

I disagree. I think he may have just lost the 2012 election. For the anti-war left, this decision is devastating and extremely demoralizing. The Democrats were already in trouble heading into this mid-term, but now? I think their base is probably going to stay home and the Democrats are likely to lose badly. If they lose the House of Representatives, and I think there's a very good chance that they will, Obama's domestic agenda is finished. He's either going to have to moderate his positions or he'll be a lame duck, both of which will depress his base even further.

I have to say, though, its his own fault. Obama was trying to have it both ways during the campaign, talking tough on Afghanistan but trying to kiss up to the anti-war crowd and in the process, he painted himself into a corner. He now finds himself in a no-win situation of his own making and he's probably going to take the Democratic party down with him over the next couple of election cycles.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Those who voted for Obama knew before election what his policies/promises were and he is doing what he said he would. If you doubt it, then read all posts in this thread. There are links to facts. Deny Ignorance

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Oh, I know what he said about Afghanistan prior to the election. Did all of his supporters know it? That's where I have my doubts.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

If they listened to him knowing what they were voting for they have no reason to complaint and those who didn't knew why they voted can continue living like sheeple as they certainly don't have that right.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Did you watch the video? He was clearly talking about the war in Iraq. You're aware that Iraq and Afghanistan are two different places, right? And you're also aware of the fact that Afghanistan is not in the Middle East at all, right?

Actually, I suspect that a lot of Americans didn't know that last one.

Listen, I'm no Obama fan. I hate the man. His policies are crap, and I think he's an authoritarian in disguise and a miserable economist to boot. But the one, sole, solitary thing I remember from his campaign that I agreed with was his stance that we should pull troops out of Iraq and boost our troop levels in Afghanistan.

Yes, you heard me - we need to boost troop levels in Afghanistan. Should we have gone there in the first place? That's a different debate. Right now one thing is certain: We can't leave that country in the condition it's in now, and we can't fix the place with our current strategy.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

He is talking about both wars in Afghanistan & Iraq. And while restraining myself while I answer this question of yours, I'm well aware that Afghanistan & Iraq are two different places because I served in both them.

Obama is making reference to "the war" within a culmitive statement meaning "both wars" which includes when he says "the troops". It is common knowledge & understanding that when any Commander including that of the CIC refers to or uses the two words "the troops" unless otherwise stated beforehand they are referencing ALL troops deployed in the region. Obama made the statement as an all encompassing one referring to troops in Iraq as well as in Afghanistan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join