It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Freeze Plunged Europe Into Ice Age in Months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
"ScienceDaily (Nov. 30, 2009) — In the film The Day After Tomorrow, the world enters the icy grip of a new glacial period within the space of just a few weeks. Now new research shows that this scenario may not be so far from the truth after all."
www.sciencedaily.com...

"New research shows that switching off the North Atlantic circulation can force the Northern hemisphere into a mini 'ice age' in a matter of months. Previous work has indicated that this process would take tens of years."

Whoaah, i hope that this doesn't happen when the gulf stream stops.... as it may be sooner than we could anticipate.
en.wikipedia.org...

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Man I hate winter.

If (when) this happens guess what will get the blame? Yep...Global Warming!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

My thought is this: human effected or not, climate change is real and it is melting the worlds ice.

Once enough Ice is melted the cyclical belts of warm/cold water will shut down, period.

Once they shut down, as you have just pointed out, Europe is in big trouble. Big enough that the shock waves of the current US economic downturn felt around the world will look a bit dull.

Signals
If (when) this happens guess what will get the blame? Yep...Global Warming!

So your denying that the Earth's climate is indeed changing?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Animal]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

NO, No not at all. I'm denying that Humans have anything to do with it...there's just no proof.

Ice Age scares the bejesus out of me though.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Yes!
Climate change is obviously happening whether man made or not is yet to be confirmed.
im am seriously worried about the freshwater from melting ice on greenland an the surrounding 1000 miles from the north pole, there is more than enough fresh water to stop the gulfstream... and if so we in the uk would be forced to move in with u guys in the u.s.

:/

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Yes!
Climate change is obviously happening whether man made or not is yet to be confirmed.
im am seriously worried about the freshwater from melting ice on greenland an the surrounding 1000 miles from the north pole, there is more than enough fresh water to stop the gulfstream... and if so we in the uk would be forced to move in with u guys in the u.s.

:/

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by Animal

NO, No not at all. I'm denying that Humans have anything to do with it...there's just no proof.

Ice Age scares the bejesus out of me though.

Fair enough on the first hand, on the second, there is a LOT of proof that humans are potentially a contributing factor.

This is what I do not understand about those who, rightfully so, question that reality of anthropogenic climate change, why take the risk?

The jury may be out, scientists may disagree, there may be no hard proof, but there is evidence, o why ignore it?

Not to derail the thread, I hope others see the connection between what I am saying and the OP.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The Earth is normally a colder planet with "warm ups". We are at the end of the most recent that we entered about 10,000 years ago. We had quite a warm up in the medieval time and had a cool off in the 17th centuray, and another mini warm up in the 19th century till now. Now the Earth is plunging back fast into a colder world climate which is the norm. It all has to do with a combination of things like solar sleeping (no sunspot activity to speak of), the orbit of the Earth and tilt of axis, and volcanic activity. If we get a real big blow from a major volcano like Mt. Pinatubo the cooling will speed up. So with that in mind a little global warming is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
maybe we should bring the Earth a bit closer to the Sun. I believe this is not so impossible. O, I forgot we should not do that as AlGore cound get upsed

90% of the history of the planet was / is ICE AGE ! The warm periods are comming in a cicle , however we are not sure about this cycle yet . Maybe the quiet Sun activity is a clue to that . It seem to be a 90 000 years - 100 000 years Ice Age followed by 10 000 warm period. It is happening for us to be right at the end of the warm period ? no clue.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This planet is about to go through change

And americans voted for it

new topics

top topics

join