It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

obama administrations new stance on medical marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
www.whec.com...

The Bush administration enforced anti-marijuana laws regardless of what states allowed. Monday, the Obama administration reversed that.

The Justice Department issued a new policy that says those abiding by state medical marijuana laws should not be targeted for federal prosecution.

this is a old story but has not yet been discussed here on ats

it is the obama administrations new stance on medical marijuana

the policy really speaks for itself

now we only have to figure out what it will take to get the rest of the states educated in order to gain acceptance nation wide

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

it needs singer songwriter guitar player potheads who are famous to support it. then the states will listen.
if i'm ever in that position i will

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

This forum has rules.

Those rules are for serious reasons.

Obey them.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

This forum has rules.

Obey them.

Goodness gracious. Who appointed you the watchdog for these threads? Try, just for once, to make a comment relative to the OP instead of spending all of your time attacking posters, which seems to be your "high".

Muzzle, please.

Its great to see the Obama admin. take a sensible approach to the matter. The day will come, through tiny steps like this, when your entire naion will be free from drug wars, and hopefully all the rest of the wars you have been mired in as well.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Mr Mask ,
You got some great advice from Wayno; think you should take it. And thanks, Wayno!
And I was being completely serious.
I think outside of the box, yes, but don't get pissy and tell me I was breaking rules when I wasn't .
Imagine Chris Cornell and well...
forget about it. You don't like the idea anyway I'm not going to try and explain it to you.
But it would work.
And if my music is ever internationally known I will campaign for the legalization of marijuana on a world wide level.
All I was saying , mr pissy.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

Its only going to take a matter of time, when states start getting a lot of money from these dispensaries in the form of tax revenue they will realize the cash crop it really is.

The Obama administration is just at least following the 10th Amendment and letting states decide for themselves what they can and won't let their citizens do within the state boarders.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have a feeling this will be a very short lived policy. I fear the U.S is about to take such a swing to the right it will make your head spin.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The most important thing will be actual medical studies demonstrating efficacy so the pro.
mar/med camp will have acceptable data to convince the hard nosed.The other side have enjoyed a near monopoly in all the science money could buy like Nahas.

Our findings were always dismissed as so called anecdotal.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

This forum has rules.

Obey them.

you are correct, in blatant situations it may be worth a mention in the actual post

in grey areas like the one you replied about are best left up to the mods, report the post if you think it is objectionable and let the mods handle it

no reason to clog up threads reviewing site policy

in the posters defense i dont really see anything objectionable about what he said

he was commenting that it would take entertainers to step up and be responsible and not just sing songs about marijuana but actually use their celebrity to spread the educational word and give the subject the respect and seriousness it deserves

maybe pothead was not the most tactful word, but it gets the point across

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueforger
The most important thing will be actual medical studies demonstrating efficacy so the pro.
mar/med camp will have acceptable data to convince the hard nosed.The other side have enjoyed a near monopoly in all the science money could buy like Nahas.

Our findings were always dismissed as so called anecdotal.

very correct, we need serious studies, we also need those studies to be accepted and treated with respect unlike the reception they have garnered in the past

while we may need many new studies, true studies, by groups that arent on either side of the agenda
we need unbiased studies that can be irrefutable

we also need to pass on the words and results of studies that have been done

there is a vast wealth of knowledge and experience out there, we just need people to really step up and support the cause

as much as we need big rock stars, actors, and politicians to step up, we ourselves need to step up big also

we need petitions, we need to hassle our government reps, we need to put pressure on companies and politicians in order to get the ball rolling faster

i read one poster said they didnt think the policy would last long, i have to disagree, i think that this new policy was the turning point for the medical marijuana revolution

the only way i see the tide turning back is if something extreme happens, like another 9/11 that is in some way related to drugs

even in that situation though i think it would be more likely to help the cause

lets say some taliban or al queda blow something up again and we find out they were getting money from the transportation and smuggling of marijuana

it would really be in the authorities best interest to legalize marijuana and take it out of the hands of the criminals and into actual economy stimulating businesses

whats interesting is that we know right now, today, that criminal organizations are making their money of marijuana, thats why i really dont understand why we still allow it to be illegal, its almost as if we want the illegal entities to continue thriving

the fact that there is marijuana being smuggled into this country by violent, illegal groups should be more then enough reason to legalize it

i mean sure the tobacco companies are bad, but whos worse the big companies or the gangs and terrorists involved in drug smuggling

sure thats a tough question, but id much rather have giant marijuana corporations that were legal compared to back alley, gun toting, smuggling criminals

ok so maybe they are the same thing legal or illegal

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
i feel tacky for doing this but i just wanted to remind readers of the flag button

those of us who support the medical marijuana movement should try to do our best to flag as many of the important medical marijuana threads as we can

the more flags a thread receives the more attention is receives

i know flags add to your "flag contribution level" or status or whatever here on this site, but that is not my intention, the only intention medical marijuana supporters should have is to get the right information out to the largest amount of people

so i ask medical marijuana supporters, take a couple seconds if you feel any thread is worthy and remember to use the flag feature

if even not for my threads, there are others on ats also that are making threads involving medical marijuana, lets do all we can to help the information get passed along

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Here's the problem as I see it,it's called the single convention ban treaty and the feds allways say that ties their hands,being an international treaty and all.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I am not Mr Pissy.

I am Mr Mask.

I am not overreacting.

I am simply sick of reading "you" use every post "you" make to make reference to your "hopes" on becoming famous over "your music" (no crime there) and then adding your personal "stoner story" or "hint towards your smoking practices".

PS-If you want to be internationally known...get out there...make business happen. You want to post in this forum, do not tell of your personal "illegal drug use".

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
IMO....

The war on drugs was not won.

It was not completely lost.

What it did do was run out of money.

No, seriously........

There is no money for the cops/jails.......

So, they are more or less giving up and taxing it.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

thats a very reasonable stance on things

we are running out of money fast so they really need to now utilize what they have the most efficient way possible

the war on drugs is absolutely not efficient

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's a Constitutional issue.As long as some states don't have an exemption to their controlled substances laws it needs to become the law of the land through the Supreme Court to not have a Tenth Ammendment issue.There is a solution to this dillema.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if the Obama administration backs off just because the State has deemed it legal medically speaking. The City of LA is hard at work at turning this explosion around. They are doing this turn around too late in my opinion as there are currently more dispensaries than Starbucks (In LA that is).......

There definitely needs to be a legal outlet for the meds, but the current situation is crazy.

rawstory.com...

[edit on 14-12-2009 by watchedbyskulls]

[edit on 15-12-2009 by watchedbyskulls]

top topics

join