It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study proves someones "god" is nothing more than one's own image! Religion crumbles...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Reason you seem to be very defensive on this subject, did you post here so that you could get other peoples opinions or so that you could talk down to everyone that replies? I am not a christian, tho I do believe in a higher power, and I agree that this proves nothing. In my opinion you must have a huge ego to believe there is no higher power than yourself in the universe.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
We don't need any more studies to prove God doesn't exist. It takes a logical, sensible and responsible human being to understand there is no higher religious being.

Can you explain how you came to that conclusion please. How did life begin? What is the purpose of everything? Show me infinity from beginning to end. To make such a bold statement as to say there is no higher being, these questions should be quiet easily answered for you.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Conclusion]

*sigh* And if it all began with God and His Word, where did God come from? You say that before there was the Universe there was God. Before God, what was there? How is your claim of this eternal omnicient being that always has been and always will be any different from the claim that the universe burst into existence or has simply always been here?

I don't expect an answer, but if this is the game that's being played, I may as well do my part to hurry the script along.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by RobertAntonWeishaupt]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Your logic is faulty.

This experiment has nothing to do with the existence or non-existence of God.

It merely has to do with people's ability to project, and their self-centeredness.

It only speaks to people's psychology. That God is often a mental construct for people to promote themselves does not mean that God/Gods do or do not exist.

If you use a knife as a fork, and call a knife a fork, doesn't mean that there are no forks.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

But you are missing what I am saying. We can only do what we are programmed to do. We Believe what we are programmed to believe, by deciphering info given to us by books written by other men.

The intent of their writings can be mis interpreted all over the place because of the varying stages of intellect, psychological make up, environment, and programming.

Until we are all cookie cut and wired the same...we will always have good debates. I'll take my uniqueness over "their" interpreted facts, any day.

I have faith, I just don't think I have to go to church to prove it.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Demoncreeper]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

The fact is that we cannot fathom what infinity means. We cannot wrap our mind around it to understand that one single word to be able to describe it from beginning to end. You may think of this as a game, but it is not a game to me. Your sigh's speak as if you know how everything is going to go. Like you have the ability to understand and know what is going to come of our reasoning before we even start. It shows how weary you are of hearing the same things over and over. Stop listening. Start researching for yourself without taking anyone's word for it. Look inside yourself and let yourself become open to possibilities.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

That is very true. Nicely said.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable
Didn't see that response coming
-sarcasm-

You lack an understanding of the article but it is to be expected.

I think you're the one who is lacking in understanding.

I'm still on the fence about the existence of a God and I definitely don't believe in the Christian idea of one but I think this argument applies to non-believers aswell as the believers. After all, regardless to whether or not someone believes, I would imagine that the principles behind this theory apply to the belief systems of ALL HUMANS.

They use their own beliefs as a starting point, which colours their final conclusions.

The OPs responses thus far in this thread show that the above statement is true of all people, believer or not. The comment about egocentrism also applies to the OP IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So according to this article I believe that I am an infinite formless benevolent conciousness who created and sustains every facet of existence? Gee, I never realised.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I think people in this thread need to take into account that SOME people on this forum:

Vondoomen if only I could applaud you.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

Maybe it should be viewed through the lens of not caring specifically what others' believe, but still caring. One's core perspective acts as a seed, which sprouts and grows into a tree. Some trees are poisonous, while others are life-giving. If someones belief is poison to the world, it is my business, as it is yours. It is all of our business, as we are all interconnected in a grand dance on this rock, whether or not we like it. There is both self and other. These necessitate the constant creation of reconciliation; otherwise, we fall back into the quicksand.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
And mad science has now proved , beyond doubt , that they're mad .

Who pays that Espley idiot ? The world is a mess BECAUSE people

refuse to think or act like Jesus ! .... God has a special place for

non-believers , but they just won't believe it , till they get there !

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

We don't need any more studies to prove God doesn't exist. It takes a logical, sensible and responsible human being to understand there is no higher religious being.

Nothing more than a lifstyle opinion. You yourself know different and all the illogical wishing him away will never work.

Sure logic is fine as long as you base it in reality.

And it was all foretold centuries ago.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by randyvs]

link   
Looks like reason accomplished something. Post an article, antagonize, belittle and laugh at anyone who disagrees and then run off without addressing any alternate points of view.

All that without mentioning the 27,000 children that died of starvation today, good job.

Del

link   
reply to post by Conclusion

Ah but I have looked within myself. I have opened myself up to the possibilities and it is that very opening that has allowed me to dismiss the Christ Metaphor and all scripture based religions as too narrow, reductive and outright insulting to the Universe.

I sigh because the believer -vs- non-believer debate is always running in the same sorry circles trapped in these semantic language loops that do not allow them to open their minds.

You say I sound like I know what's going to happen. The fact is that I don't know what is going to happen, but I can rule out a few things that are not going to happen. The scriptural concepts of the end times are patently absurd if taken literally and vague enough to have happened a half dozen times over already if taken metaphorically. The notions of Heaven and Hell are slightly more interesting from a metaphorical standpoint as each "soul" will perceive differently the disembodiment and transcendence to pure energy that accompanies death. Some will perceive it as Hell others as Heaven.

I for one see it for what it is: recycling of energy in a unimaginably vast though ultimately closed system.

For the time being, my trip to this plain of existence is simple enough to understand. I have been made aware of my general purpose and am working to assist in the betterment of the "souls" assigned to me, just as I have met others who are here to guide me.

Should things get excessively interesting on the Earthly plain, I will not consider it to be THE end times for such a notion is the pinnacle of silly hubris. I will instead see it as the latest in a neverending cycle of growth opportunities.

All of this will be done without having to buy in to the nearly Dadaist notion of a divine carpenter getting nailed to a gigantic piece of irony over 2000 years ago in order to "free" mankind from the "sin" of becoming cognizant of something beyond the weird conditional love of a neurotic skybound father figure.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This thread is just as ridiculous as the referenced article.

"People think that God thinks like them, therefore God can't be real because it's just a person's mind creating an imaginary figure that's secretly him- or her- own self."

Would the same not be said if someone were trying to figure out what their own pet was thinking? It's the exact same thing. We can only draw from and offer what we know when talking about "God" or your dog. The fact is, no one knows whether your dog is thinking about going for a walk, or about how it would like a treat. All you have to offer is what YOU would want if you were the dog.

So, tell me: Is the dog real? Does it exist? After all, since the dog "thinks exactly as we think" ... it must be imaginary.

The referenced article is laughable in the points it attempts to make.

As too is the nature of this discussion. It's obvious that the user "reasonable" only posted this thread to mock and name-call. That's childish - to say the least. As is participating in any discussion that attempts to prove or disprove someone's faith or belief.

Where do you really expect to get with this thread? The only thing that this discussion is going to accomplish is childish arguments and bitter name calling.

No Star. No Flag. Another useless hate thread.

Try again.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

"We don't need any more studies to prove God doesn't exist. It takes a logical, sensible and responsible human being to understand there is no higher religious being."

Wow. It seems like your logic has been severed from your emotion. Your little logo thinks it is the perfect logic of the universal LOGOS. Moreover, you, as have we all, spend much time in life running in circles. We manipulate in order that we might later dominate. We dominate in order that we might quell a manipulation that seeks to usurp our AUTHORity. I would argue that God is not religious. But God necessitates that we run around in circles until we find the logic of our centers. Only having faith in something, whatever that something might be, beyond us and transcending us gets us out of the ritual of chasing our own tails. Perhaps that something was within us the whole time, but we must still not get a fixed view, or we are stuck. The belief in nothing transcendent inevitably leads to the return to feces-slinging in the jungle.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
OP. I am going to tell you something that these scientists have left out.

Science can only study and acknowledge existence. One of the greatest thinkers in our time even admits that Existence was created from nothingness. That makes nothingness a dimension we know nothing about.
And its not that nothingness is totally nothing. Its just that its not existence. That's why we call it nothingness because to us that dimension dont exist. I dont expect you to grasp this.

But if Nothingness is the source to existence. It must be a lot more complicated then our existence.

And just to point out. Science can't and will never be able to disprove the existence of God. Therefor to them God will always be non existence. In other words nothingness.

And what created existence? Nothingness did. "God"

they will not grasp it... but I am glad someone else came so close to the truth as I am...

yes, The Nothingness is the key, but it is also The Paradox

read my signature

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy

And mad science has now proved , beyond doubt , that they're mad .

Who pays that Espley idiot ? The world is a mess BECAUSE people

refuse to think or act like Jesus ! .... God has a special place for

Really? Why do you hate God so much that you insult him by projecting the petty and useless human emotion of vengeance upon him? He has a special place (presumably of suffering) for him to cast non-believers. Is his ego really so fragile?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

Ironically enough, considering your handle, the map is not the territory. It seems to me that you are entangled in your own web, that you are the other side of the coin to that which you hate. This perspective necessitates that you would see the same cycles, the same drama, repeating ad infinitum. You are stuck in the circle, and you cannot see beyond it. The drama is about to dissolve, and something new is emerging.

Either that, or you are playing the anti, which is a view I do not hold. You are maybe trying to put up a resistance in an effort to prove that humanity is not yet ready to evolve, that they are not yet ready to overcome your arrogance. Playing the demon to the angel, so to speak. But the angel who truly wants what is good for all makes sacrifices. The demon exploits the current paradigm. Yes, they eventually cancel out, and the one necessitates the other, but those who play the demon seek to create a hell for others in order to create a heaven for themselves. What you forget, however, is that more and more are seeing things through a lens more transcendent than that through which you "see."

Edit: You do understand much logically. But what are you doing and are going to do to resolve the drama?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Oh and to OP just so it's clear I'm not just here to F with the religious folks:

Do you honestly believe that religion is going to "crumble" as a result of this study?

That's funny.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join