It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study proves someones "god" is nothing more than one's own image! Religion crumbles...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

Yep, once you're at least somewhat enlightened you begin to understand that your ego is just an illusion. Modern "christians" seem to think that their ego is with this christ(laughable).

"Christians" play a game they cannot win. Follow "christ" or follow the bible. And to this day, these ignorant bunch still have not figured it out nor do they seek out wisdom from those that are more knowlegdable. You people just keep drowning yourself, generation after generation, in this sesspool of dogma mind suppression and mis-information.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
This is worse than that one experiment that dealt with trying to emulate an out of body experience.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
This is worse than that one experiment that dealt with trying to emulate an out of body experience.

IIRC there was no "trying" to emulate it, they DID emulate it with ease..

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable
reply to post by semperfortis

People are learning how the human mind works = the end times are coming.

hot damn I love ATS!

That's what I thought.. and also, if disclosure is coming, it seems to fit in line with that, as well. The religious people pose a big problem for it, so now is the time to start scientifically disproving God..

And the Vatican now says that ETs are God's creation too, so it's okay to believe in them. Which is completely opposite of their previous stance on aliens.

These things just not what religious people want to believe. It sounds like the beginning of the end of religion.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

IIRC there was no "trying" to emulate it, they DID emulate it with ease..

Perhaps we may be thinking of different experiments. If, indeed, you're thinking about the one with the person wearing a helmet, then they didn't even emulate or explain an OOBE at all. They just completely ignored it and just came up with something else entirely.

I don't remember the details of it, but I remember that it was insulting.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I don't subscribe to any religion but I fail to see how this proves or even indicates something.. this means pretty much nothing, it's common sense. You need scientists to tell you that?
Yeah, you atheists are soooo smart, all of us other people are barbaric savages left in the middle ages clouded by superstition.. tiring.

Some would consider atheism some sort of religion, worshipping the five senses and a materialistic world.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Many people post their 'amazing' finds.

Many people are forever carrying out various 'studies' to prove something or other.

Many people are usually wrong.

Scientists know no more than anyone else about the higher realms, and never will.

I am not talking about what people call 'religion', which is just a man-made thing.

I am talking about the Creator of the universe, whom no-one will ever be able to prove exists or does not exist, because such a concept is beyond our mind-power. When we learn the truth, we will also be non-existent.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

Some would consider atheism some sort of religion, worshipping the five senses and a materialistic world.

Of course atheism being a religion is nonsense and you know it!

Plus, what makes understanding the five senses and materialistic world so wrong?

You make it sound like a bad thing

It's surely not.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by silver tongue devil
So wait...

they drew conclusive proof that God doesn't exist and that the belief is invalid...simply because when hooked up to a brain scanner the electricity went in a particular direction??

Oh yeah...that's sound philosophical reasoning right there. heh.

Hypothetically lets say there is a "God", and that said person believes this is so, how should this have reflected on the brain scanner in the way that would have shown the opposite conclusion?...

Doesn't it seem as though that was never a possible conclusion for the people monitoring this experiment?

Like what were they expecting?

If God was real then the brain would have illustrated pictures of angels with the brain wave activity??...

Ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't expect someone who thinks the Earth is 4,000yrs old to comprehend a scientific study.

What the hell?

Where did that come from?..

I gave no reason or any information for you to infer that.

Why don't you address some of my post instead of making baseless assumptions about me and my position?

As I said earlier..

What would have needed to of been different in the neural activity that was recorded to show positive that there is a God??

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DayKnightmare
www.youtube.com...

Entertaining vid. I can't get those YouTube links to embed properly in a post either.

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

..Of course when thinking about God we normally reference our own opinions and point of view...

Nah, see that's the problem here.

From the article: "God created man in his own image and man, being a gentleman, returned the favour."

There may be a spiritual side to life but once you try and start using it to explain physical phenomena that's where you have to ad lib it. So this article is showing that people are making it up in their own intellects - their egos and not tuning into "God" at all. Furthermore, that no-one is, not even priests. And the fact that there are different religions prove that no one is right when it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Ideally, religion would just try and look at spiritual and philosophical issues. But no, religious people had to make a complete package - science, politics, how to live your life, tything (tax), even meddling with a woman's menstruation cycles - making them take a bath for 8 days to be cleansed while menstruating wasn't a bridge too far for these tyrants. All of the sexual exploitation of the parishioners and children in the Church's care. Religion is the story of sick sick exploitation.

So, it became a dictatorship of the mind and body. Religion has been a hammer clamp to the development of the human race. The very occurrence of modern technology like these computers we have to converse on is the result of a 2,000 year process of shedding the intellectual shackles of religion. We need threads like this to continue this important process.

Let's let science explain the physical universe and religion explain the spiritual one and never the twain shall meet.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
There are no "amazing finds" or "miracles"...if there were..we'd all be adhering to them today.

I see all of you still reading ATS, still searching the news channels..still waiting for that ONE thing..that you can just put to rest and sleep the rest of your life on.

Not gonna happen..at least not in your GOD category. Look..the OP's post is not made up by HIM..but by scientists..and yes.your god is your ego..it is your inner most thoughts...
They are made by YOU...believe it or not!!! YOU can think...
God doesnt heal children with cancer..he doesnt heal your mother laying on her death bed..do you know why..becuz your god doesnt exist!!!!

ITs YOU..its your thoughts...your energy that goes out...

Im not saying there is no higher power...Id love to believe there was SOMEONE who gave a sh$t about us..but as far as that christian thing..give that up!!!

That is a fantasy..a fallacy...something written to control you...its not even WORTH believing in...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The paper isn't up yet on the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences website,

www.pnas.org...

nor on Epley's own personal page on the Business School website (URL given in the OP article link). The UChi press release was posted only yesterday Central Standard Time:

www.eurekalert.org...

So, I cannot comment on the product, only the ads for it. Assuming the ads are truthful, we learn, as if for the first time:

People who believe in God try to infer God's will. In doing so, they rely upon their beliefs, among which are their beliefs about God and what God wills. Their conclusions reflect the premises upon which they rely.

This is shocking news? Why? About religion? No, this is how human reasoning in general works.

(Umm, note to Professor Epley, assuming the remark attributed to him in both the OP article and the press release is accurate:

The central feature of a compass, however, is that it points north no matter what direction a person is facing. This research suggests that, unlike an actual compass, inferences about God's beliefs may instead point people further in whatever direction they are already facing.

Magnetic compasses' "north" is truly north of you only when you are standing in the right place, that is, truly south of the Earth's northern magnetic pole.

Otherwise, when someone aligns the pointer on the letter N, and assumes that that is truly north, then they will be wrong.

It would be odd to blame the compass for the mistake of the person reading it. Odder still to blame the planet's magnetic poles for being where they are, rather than where it would be convenient for them to be instead.

Nevertheless, a magnetic compass is useful, despite the possible misunderstanding of the human using the instrument. Most people can usually acquire a better idea about where north is from reading a compass than they can form without it.

Perhaps that is the standard by which to judge all moral reflection, including that of people who believe in God and try to infer God's will, as best they can, with the mind they have. Is their decision closer to something plausibly beneficial than they would have come up with by reflecting on something else?)

[edit on 1-12-2009 by eight bits]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by silver tongue devil
So wait...

they drew conclusive proof that God doesn't exist and that the belief is invalid...simply because when hooked up to a brain scanner the electricity went in a particular direction??

Your quite correct in the ridicule...

because its pretty well established that 'we', humanity, have Holographic brains.
so that certain basic parts of the brain will 'light-up' with activity
even though several un-alike problems are being processed.

It has to do more with the 'Neural pathways' rather than the brain locations of activity.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

People are learning how the human mind works = the end times are coming
Redundant hypocracy. Reas you are a gonner. unimpressive
and a sad spectacle. Of course your kind we were told to watch for and here you are.

The fool has said," there is no God". Then comes death, then judgement.

For the wages of sin is death.

You are going to die someday because the word says you will.

Not the other way around.

Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is LORD.

This is reality like it or not.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is LORD.

Sorry, but I bow to no thug. Looks like I touched a nerve again, with all the smiting chatter your spewing.. I'm quakin' in my boots.. the end times are comin'! what'll happen when I don't bend my knee for the lord? oh... the fear..... someone hold me.

btw what took you so long? ATS God Squad pager went off all day but you mistakenly had the volume turned down?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Im not saying there is no higher power

Then what did you say.

Give Christ up because you say so.
You have a long way to go lady.

One day you will bow and confess and you won't be able to help yourself.

You will want to when you see his glory. You have a creator who cares
about you. You just do not care enough to understand him. So you
live in denial.

then comes death then comes judgement. you are always one step away
from totally realising you depended on mans puny little knowledge is what
is nothing. How can anyone put there faith in what man only thinks he knows .

The reason is your lifestyle. Well you carry on don't try to convince those who know better than to follow the pied piper.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

One day you will bow and confess and you won't be able to help yourself.

no. she will not. deal with it.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Sorry, but I bow to no thug. Looks like I touched a nerve again, with all the smiting chatter your spewing.. I'm quakin' in my boots.. the end times are comin'! what'll happen when I don't bend my knee for the lord? oh... the fear..... someone hold me

oo oo this must be where I get needled. Save it.loser. I'm not doing this with you again. So you want to touch a nerve wait for Moocowman.
oh but you will.

by sweetums.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Sorry, but I bow to no thug. Looks like I touched a nerve again, with all the smiting chatter your spewing.. I'm quakin' in my boots.. the end times are comin'! what'll happen when I don't bend my knee for the lord? oh... the fear..... someone hold me

oo oo this must be where I get needled. Save it.loser. I'm not doing this with you again. So you want to touch a nerve wait for Moocowman.
oh but you will.

by sweetums.

"save it loser"??? That's some nice christian speak right there. Looks like I've caught another one that can't practice what they preach.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
There are no "amazing finds" or "miracles"...if there were..we'd all be adhering to them today.

I see all of you still reading ATS, still searching the news channels..still waiting for that ONE thing..that you can just put to rest and sleep the rest of your life on.

Not gonna happen..at least not in your GOD category. Look..the OP's post is not made up by HIM..but by scientists..and yes.your god is your ego..it is your inner most thoughts...
They are made by YOU...believe it or not!!! YOU can think...
God doesnt heal children with cancer..he doesnt heal your mother laying on her death bed..do you know why..becuz your god doesnt exist!!!!

ITs YOU..its your thoughts...your energy that goes out...

Im not saying there is no higher power...Id love to believe there was SOMEONE who gave a sh$t about us..but as far as that christian thing..give that up!!!

That is a fantasy..a fallacy...something written to control you...its not even WORTH believing in...
Are you aiming that at just christians or all religions that believe in some form of higher power?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join