It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Messy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The US Senate report blasting President Bush's administration for what is going on in Afghanistan provides covering fire for Barack Obama's speech on his Afghan strategy. The report is also a good opportunity to address far deeper failings in the military effort these last eight years. The continued incompetence of the military operation indicates that the generals and the political elites in our societies are no more "fit for purpose" than those that led the disasters of the 1914-18 war. Then as now there was a social-psychological failure to understand the impact of modern society on war
Messy military

The Afghanistan issue has certainly been botched. Now whether it is the politicians or the military to blame, I know not. Iwill say this.One of the lessons that should be gleaned from Vietnam is that you never allow politicians to make military decisions.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
"War is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought"

Unfortunately that's who is running the show.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
"War is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought"

Unfortunately that's who is running the show.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The mighty AL K Duh have got Afghanistan on the run.
If we don't wipe them out they just come back to overthrow the
government.
One can only wonder the exit events.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Well, when you say "Afghanistan" I presume you mean the Taliban. It is imperative to understand that the Taliban and Al Queda are not really interlinked. The two groups have different goals and methods for Afghanistan.

I thought the U.S went into Afghanistan togo after Al Queda, but it has become increasingly apparent that it has turned into a war against the Taliban.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Well, when you say "Afghanistan" I presume you mean the Taliban. It is imperative to understand that the Taliban and Al Queda are not really interlinked. The two groups have different goals and methods for Afghanistan.

I thought the U.S went into Afghanistan togo after Al Queda, but it has become increasingly apparent that it has turned into a war against the Taliban.

We asked the Taliban to hand over Bin Laden. They didn't want to so we said you harboring them and you are the enemy too.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It`s not that the military mishandled things as much as they are handcuffed. The new ROE put in place by politically appointed commanders is the biggest joke ever. They have had situations were units in contact were screaming for arty or CAS, and it was denied because there was a remote chance of hurting Afghan civillians.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eikmun

Well, there are reports that is totally false. I have always been patriotic, but I have to say, I am not much for chasing a chicken with its head lopped off.

top topics

join