It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker arrested for stealing Runescape skills and prizes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This guy didn't want to make any money, he just wanted to increase his skills without doing any hard work for them.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A hacker has been arrested for stealing players' identities, skills, weapons and virtual money in an online computer game.

In the first case of its kind, the 23-year-old man was held for hijacking hundreds of teenage boys' accounts to gain access to their hard-won virtual abilities.

The boys were taking part in RuneScape, a medieval fantasy game which has more than 100million players worldwide.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a32c4ced1b6.jpg[/atsimg]

Though against the rules of the game, a lucrative black market exists where players can buy powerful characters and items within RuneScape, without having to spend hundreds of hours building up their own profile.
One RuneScape account was recently sold on eBay for £46,000.
However, the arrested hacker did not steal the accounts to sell on. Police believe the man, who has not been named, simply wanted to boost his own standing in the computer game.
He was arrested last Tuesday in the Avon and Somerset area and accepted a police caution for hacking into 284 accounts.

I suppose cheating can spoil the enjoyment of a game, but when it can take years to build up your skills and fortune... I think I can understand why he did it

[edit on 30-11-2009 by berenike]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
I suppose cheating can spoil the enjoyment of a game, but when it can take years to build up your skills and fortune... I think I can understand why he did it

Cheating is cheating. What about the people that also spent years building up their skills the he stole from?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

You're quite right - I was being flippant.

I wouldn't condone theft in any form.

What I should be doing is rallying everyone to start playing so we can build up our skills and make a fortune by flogging them.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by berenike]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Lets just all agree that its a terrible game full of rude 12 year olds and that anyone either bothering to level their character that high or take the time to steal them are both quite sad.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Lets just all agree that its a terrible game full of rude 12 year olds

But that's where all the money is these days, right?

For those of us with an entrepreneurial spirit

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin

Originally posted by berenike

Cheating is cheating. What about the people that also spent years building up their skills the he stole from?

The game itself is a cheat. A cheat to steal to your precious time and money

Virtual standing for hard-earned cash. I would only play such game for free, like I do with WoW(private servers)

Oh yes, I cheat too because I believe time is better spent for something else than in games. If you're getting annoyed by cheaters in the game, you better quit and trust me, it's all for the best if you did quit! Use your time for something a lot more useful!!

new topics

top topics

join