It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black workers' crisis may linger after upturn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Black workers' crisis may linger after upturn

www.msnbc.msn.com

The recession has compounded a decades-long problem for black workers, who began the downturn facing a far higher jobless rate than the general population and have fared worse since.

Across the board right now the job prospects are slim, but for blacks even more so than average

The numbers illustrate the sheer depth of the problem black workers are facing. For all the gains that black workers have made over the past 20 years, everywhere from corporate boardrooms to the White House, there r
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Since the recession began in December 2007, the national unemployment rate has gone from 4.9 percent to 10.2 percent, while the the black unemployment rate has jumped from 8.9 percent to 15.7 percent

it's sad that there are metrics for this
however i doubt how they would measure this but I don't discount it either.

I am completely against affirmative action, despite it might help me sometimes as I am brown skin(indian).
But if you don't hire based on skill then your not very results-oriented. It's just plain stupid point blank.

However I would look at this more as a geographical problem then a color problem and it's a shame the article goes nowhere to highlight that.

Creating more jobs, stimulus money or any such thing is futile and counter-productive.

Education, that's the key!
More schools and better teachers in the "hoods".

So simple but politicans chose instead to remain stupid.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Whatever, there are jobs out there... if one is willing to take them. Your suggestion of better teachers in the "hood" does NOTHING to fix the problem. The problem begins largely in the home where the children are not being taught the value of working your way up in society and where they learn from bad examples. Often the solution to a problem lies within the community itself and how THEY choose to correct the problem, not simply throwing a bunch of other people's money at it. Welfare is the perfect example to illustrate this point. Instead of helping people in tough circumstances, it has become a way of life and has now transcended from one generation to the next.

I agree, the news is not good - but there comes a time when people need to look in the mirror and take on the responsibility to fix what they see there on their own.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Whatever, there are jobs out there... if one is willing to take them. Your suggestion of better teachers in the "hood" does NOTHING to fix the problem.

It does everything
any educated person will know that getting a job and keeping it is important.

See education always ends up going beyond just simply education.

The problem begins largely in the home where the children are not being taught the value of working your way up in society and where they learn from bad examples.

Again we come back to education
Also, many times kids in the hood don't even have fathers.

I agree, the news is not good - but there comes a time when people need to look in the mirror and take on the responsibility to fix what they see there on their own.

I agree but to expect everyone to do this is unrealistic

See everyone has complaints and nobody has solutions, that's the biggest issue.

There's welfare, food stamps and unemployement checks, and in the midst of this I can safely say that the states NEVER once tried to really make an effort to fix the problem.
Can you?

You can't just say education is not the answer without ever having given it a try. It is the basis of a civilized society.
If there is no education there is chaos, which is exactly how the hoods are.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
They know those numbers by the reports to the bureau of labor statistics of companies and who they've laid off. These are working middle class people, Not all Blacks live in the Hood BTW. There are many middle class blacks whom are effected by this economic downturn as well.

As far as
As the old saying goes...

"It's not what you know, it's who you know"

Blacks will always be at a disadvantage in this regard unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Of course the blacks are always worse off than everybody else. What's new? Poor them. Poor humanity.

new topics

top topics

join