It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness and the inner light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What you are about to read should blow your mind away.
I think I've figured out what all the ancient prophets meant by your "inner light".

It all really comes down to the visual system and how we perceive the world.
first you must understand visual system of the physical body.

Light flows through the eye and into the retina where it hits an "opsin" which is a protein that can catch light and convert it into a chemical signal. *Notice* at this point the information is no longer a photon, but a chemical pulse in the brain *notice*. This signal is then sent down the optic nerve to the visual cortex. From there, the information is processed into a meaningful picture. this includes putting the 2 different pictures (2 eyes) together and thus giving it depth. Just a reminder, this is of course a very dumbed down description of the visual system. What happens after here and how exactly we perceive that information is unknown.

So what does this mean? What is the big mystery?

It is a fact that you are not aware of the visual information UNTIL it reaches the visual cortex for processing. So that means it is somewhere in the brain. However, THERE IS NO LIGHT IN THE BRAIN. It is completely dark in there. And yet somehow, we have this perception of light in our brain. The reality being, you are not actually seeing/experiencing light. Your experiencing a representation of light by your brain.

This also goes into the esoteric idea that the Universe is inside you. Because EVERYTHING you perceive through your senses is just a representation made by yourself!

I hope you enjoyed this thread and if you liked it or learned to view the world in a new way then please, star and flag!

Let me know if you have any questions.

[edit on 11/30/2009 by VonDoomen]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Blow my mind?

I am pretty sure you just sucked all the magic out of it
So all the ancient teachings and esoteric ideas surrounding 'illumination' and 'light' are to be reduced to visual signals that are in our brain but have not been fully processed yet?? I mean, I get it, I think...but this just made my halo dim its light a little. Far from blowing my mind.

What about brain death, or very limited brain, in NDE cases? They almost always experience a Light.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I dont see how it should dim your perspective. If anything It heightened mine.
who knows, maybe im wrong about the divine light.
but I thought it was a trick, like one of those zen parables.

What I was trying to say was that your consciousness is your divine light and we all have it. Its a miracle, when you wrap your head around it and try to understand what my previous post implies. you could take this idea a lot deeper.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

Basically the point im trying to make is that consciousness is the prized jewel we have been searching for, and yet so few have found.

To understand that our brain re/construct reality simple amazes me.

Our brain, and specificaly the cereberal neocortex, is the most highly ramified and connected thing known in the universe, or to state it simply, its the most advanced piece of equipment we know of

new topics

top topics

join