It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great idea - user defined board preferences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
(The dialogue is tounge in cheek but the point is real)

Ok everybody is always bitching on here about this is a conspiracy site, we should only ever discuss conspiracies, or people talk politics too much, people talk about drugs to much.. waaaa waaaaa waaaaaa.

You know what? As the owners are probaby all too aware you cannot keep everyone happy at once. First we should probably all grow up, but since we know that isn't going to happen anytime soon (not without someone blaming it on a plot by the PTB), maybe we should come up with a real solution that is both good for ATS getting more members and page hits and the users.

THE REAL MEAT:
So I propose that ATS create "preferences" functionality where a user can choose like 3 or 4 preset primary interestes or choose all of the above. By choosing their preferences it then filters all the NEW THREAD, TOP FLAGGED THREADS AND TOP POSTED THREADS on both the main board and the side bar.

So for instance (though I am sure SO can improve on my idea) there are say 7 choices for preferences and you can chooose one or more or all and rank them.

So there woud be like:
I wanna read about conspiracies and argue about 911 for another years
I wanna read about crackheads
I wanna fight about politics all day and night
I wanna learn about new technology
I wanaa talk about aliens
I am an alien, indigo, meditator, and /or suffer from delusions of granduer.
I wanna see everything and I promise not to whine when I see a lot of topics I don't like

Then each member can check off what you want to see and it filters the site for you.

Would this work? Is it a technological nightmare?

One benefit for ATS. It gives you a bit more of a demographic of your users preferences for both planning for the site and for your advertisers.

Anyway just a thought.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Or, you could create your own little board by selecting your favourite sections, and call it myATS.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

How does that work exactly? Does it filter the side bar of new and active threads that appear when you are viewing a thread or the main board screen?

To be honest I don't know how the myATS works. Can you explain it to me?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It's not quite what you were saying, but it is a custom version of the board. If you go into a forum, you'll see at the top of th thread lists "favourite" click on that, and it gets added to "myATS" where you can see the last 10 threads to be posted on in each one. So you do that a few times and you end up with a little custom filtrered version of ATS.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thanks for the explanation. That is kinda what I am saying, but something more global..but maybe I just need to learn more about it.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It creates a summary of the current active threads on boards which you have chosen to watch, and presents it to you as a set of tables, one for each board, with the list of the eight most recently discussed threads.

Set it as your bookmark (MyATS) and bam your done.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

I am not sure if that accomplishes my aim. It is more to change the entire site to only show things you are interested in. Like if you choose only the "drug preference" the site becomes all drugs to you or if you choose "conspiracy preference" only it become an all conspiracy site, because it filters out al refererences to things you don't want to see.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

I posted this on another thread but I'll copy it here as I think it addresses your concern:

Just for the record, ATS has a great navigation utility that very few folks seem to take advantage of ...

You can select all your favorite forums and assign them to the "myATS" page, then at the top of the "recent posts" page there's a little red link named "customize" ... one of the options there is the "myATS" selection. When selected your "recent posts" will only include the forums which interest you and exclude all others. Thus this new or any other forum you don't wish to even look at, doesn't show up for you.

So the option's already there and no more coding from admin. is required.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Awesome. Thanks for being more clear. So why do people keep making threads bitching about this is a conspiracy site if they can hide all the other stuff with myATS?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

It gives them something to do.

...and thanks dog

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Well, a lot of folks aren't aware of the feature ... to be honest, I only recently stumbled across it myself. Though, to be fair, me not smart!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The cool thing with the customize option is that it allows you to see all your favorite forums on one recent posts page.. ATS & BTS all at once

Sweet!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Because they are concerned about the global website. And all of the forums show up in the board and in "Recent Posts"

I personally don't hear all that much "bitching." And I've been here for awhile. It goes away in a couple days.

I use myATS all the time.

Edit- Yeah, Jac. I can have my cooking right next to my crypto. It rocks.

[edit on 11/30/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Because they are concerned about the global website. And all of the forums show up in the board and in "Recent Posts"

Yeah that is what I am talking about. My idea would get it off of the main board and recent posts for that person. Those things coud be filtered based on their preferences. So if you are only into drugs you get al teh recent posts for drugs.. or if you are into drugs and politics your recetn lists and the main board just show you the top topics or most recent for those things.. See where I am going with this?

I guess they could just extend this functionality from the framework they have at myATS.

top topics

join