It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK nationals stopped by Iranian navy

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
They strayed about 500 yards into Iranian waters. Also, they are being permitted to use their cell phones. Iran must be really concerned about espionage to allow that. Even the hikers' cell phones were confiscated.

She said the sailors had strayed into Iranian waters by only 500 yards, but were now being held somewhere off Iran.

Held: Dave Bloomer, a DJ for Radio Bahrain, has been named as a captive
Mrs Porter, who lives in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, said: 'They didn't know that they had strayed over this imaginary line.

'Apparently they are fine and being well-looked after but are most of all frustrated. They have been allowed from time to time to use their mobile phones.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

ProtoplasmicTraveler won't believe that.....it doesn't fit in with his Bondesque view on matters

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

It's not the matter of what Proto believes or not, the matter at hand is foreign nationals held in Iranian territory without legal documents. The crew did not use any of the equipment they had on board to call for help. Question is why?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by Argyll

It's not the matter of what Proto believes or not, the matter at hand is foreign nationals held in Iranian territory without legal documents. The crew did not use any of the equipment they had on board to call for help. Question is why?

Yes they did!.....they requested a replacement propeller and a tow.

basic research my friend, basic research!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Really have I made a laughing stock of myself by pointing out how impossible it is to get so far off course in a state of the art sailing craft?

With no wind, a dodgy propeller, a request for assistance whilst trying to navigate through a seemingly disputed patch of water. In a boat that contains 3 young but fairly experienced sailors and a radio disk jockey.

By straying into water, they contacted somebody and requested a tug. There's just as much chance as these being sailors mate, i don't know what's so hard to believe. If these guys had been Swiss, would you be throwing the spy label at them?

In fact I think I have shed a lot of very valid light on a lot of misconceptions that many people in the thread have not only given up on trying to promote, but other people have been complimentary for me taking the time and showing the courage to share in the face of a hostile warmongering group of people towing the official propaganda line!

That sounds like you're trying to make a point, but i can't figure out what it is... it's like two conflicting sentences together. Are you saying that every official line is false, or are you saying those who maybe don't doubt it, are mindless yet hostile sheep?

I don't know why it upsets you so that these people are spies.

The fact that no evidence as yet point towards them being anything other than four blokes having a bad day.

Is it because they got caught?

Caught doing what?

Is it because they are bad ones?
Well we still don't know that they are spies so......

Is it because they didn't complete their mission?

What mission?

Spies are part of warcraft and so is propaganda and England and the Western Governments are waging a propaganda war against Iran so it stands to reason they are spying on them too.

Yes it does, but it statistically speaking not everyone sailing in that area is a spy. Until we can prove they are spies are not, you seem to have taken too much of a stance in one direction.

What we have here is motive, opportunity, and incredibly strong circumstantial evidence that points to these people being spies.

Show us then. In a clear and concise way. No more high and mighty rants. Just show us the facts.

Any third rate TV Detective could put that together, just evidently not the brainwashed minions of the Zionist/Western Propaganda Machine.

Well what the heck does that make you then? A lone aquatic detective, rooting out the ghastly spies that dare to float near mighty Iran?

Just remember friend he who laughs loudest laughs last!

And those who laugh at their own jokes need to have a swift rethink of their comedic target audience.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by mr-lizard]

[edit on 1-12-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

It's amazing how these stories evolve over the course of a few days of the media and spin maestros putting it all together.

I am sure by tomorrow one of the lad's mothers will come out and say you know my son called me before the boat even left port and said it was in terrible shape.

The boat that the website belonging to the owners said they had it in tip top shape for it's first ever racing competition.

Sorry but the reality is you don't end up 150 nautical miles off of course in the course of a day's time in a sail boat. You are lucky to make 150 nautical miles in a sail boat in a day's time towards your ultimate destination.

Either everyone on board had no business being on board because of gross incompetence, or they arrived precisely where they meant to be.

Could they have sabatoged their own propeller to try to convince the Iranians they weren't spying?

Maybe...

Could some parties now be coming forward claiming this distress call and that distress call was made, after negligently not answering them?

Doubtful, but with enough money most people will say anything.

This is what happens when you let the MOSSAD infiltrate an intelligence agency!

Gross incompetence and embarassment. BRING BACK 007 PLEASE.

[edit on 1/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Have you any idea how insane you sound?

Do you just make things up in your mind and convince yourself that these thoughts are facts?

Where have you got the 150 miles fact from?

why do you refuse to answer perfectly acceptable questions in a debate?

Are you a politician?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Damn!!!!....I've been slow here!

you know what your doing don't you!, I used to work with someone like you, you know what your saying is total fantasy, you're in it for the confrontation!

I say black you say white!

Kudos to you, you do it quite well

Spies!

Mothers backing up stories!!!

Breaking their own propeller!!!....PMSL

21 year old members of the SAS!!!.......Radio presenters that are really MI6 agents!!!.........I can't believe I didn't see it coming!!!

Your a diamond!

Well done......you had me going for a while!!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Hey Proto, I have been looking into the area where these sailors were captured to see what might be of interest.

The vessel drifted into Iranian waters and was seized by the elite Revolutionary Guard near the Iranian island of Sirri

www.google.com...

Some interesting info on Sirri Island. Seems that someone has been been doing some recon to prepare for a possible war. This was posted in Aug 2009.

Air Defence
Air defence of Sirri island is split into two sections, that directly on the island, and the umbrella extended by positions on other islands and the mainland.
Compared to Abu Musa, Sirri has very little indigenous air defence. There are no SAM's to speak of, there are a few positions that gave me cause to pause and investigate closer, however, never panning out to a positive assessment. Of course with only using publicly available satellite footage and Iran's strategy of deception with its military programs, its entirely possible that these positions that I took to be no more then berms of dirt to conceal SAM's. Ultimately though we must ere on the side of caution and assume the least.
As for AAA positions there is a definite difference in the deployment compared to Abu Musa, whereas on the latter it is arrayed in an alternating caliber pattern following the coast, on Sirri there seems to be two distinct north-south lines of three 35 mm cannons, one on the west coast and the other in the middle of the island approximately at the end of the runway. As with the SAM's , there are several "questionble" locations so I am near 100% certain there are positions I missed that will be used in a war to station 23mm or 35mm guns.

thearkenstone.blogspot.com...

Maybe they wanted to get someone on the ground to take a look at some of the questionable locations. A Yacht "accidently" drifting near the island would be a good cover don't you think? Perfect timing with a yacht race in the area.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Maybe they wanted to get someone on the ground to take a look at some of the questionable locations. A Yacht "accidently" drifting near the island would be a good cover don't you think? Perfect timing with a yacht race in the area.

Maybe they were innocent professional yachtsmen that had a technical problem, radioed for help but were arrested before help arrived........why is that scenario more unlikely than yours?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Maybe they were innocent professional yachtsmen that had a technical problem, radioed for help but were arrested before help arrived........why is that scenario more unlikely than yours?

This is sadly what you don't get, and that's Iran is on the opposite side of the Persian Gulf from where these people were going. It would be like ending up in England while sailing from Maine to New York.

Obviously you have never sailed but when at all possible sail boat captains especially hug the coast and try not to loose sight of land unless making a trans-oceanic voyage which these people weren't.

There is no reason for them to be 150 miles on the other side of the gulf and to have crossed an open body of water when all they had to do was sail along the right coast to their destination.

Even if there was no wind, then the drift would have been very slow and followed the currents which actually would have taken them where they were supposed to be going.

Even if there was no engine and no wind they had an anchor.

The moment they lost sight of land they should have been making corrections to get back to the Dubai Coast on the Eastern side of the Gulf not the Iranian Coast on the Western side of the Gulf.

Assuming there GPS didn't work and something was wrong with it too, that this state of the art sail boat primed for its first racing competition by it's owners had a bum motor, and a busted GPS, and NO anchor just the sun's position would have told an experienced seaman they were off course, out of sight of land and to call for help.

Help would have taken maybe 2 hours top to reach them in the Persian Gulf at most.

Trust me when I say I feel far more comfortable calling these men spies than I do yachtsmen because yachtsmen they certainly were not!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Your wrong!.....have you looked at the map that shows where they were sailing from and to?......and where they were arrested?

Obviously not....it's nothing like sailing from Maine to New York and ending up in England!......and well you know it!....that is a preposterous statement!

No doubt you will ignore this fact

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
And as to my earlier post you seem to have ignored Proto the all knowing......when the yachtsmen are released without charge,,,,,,,you'll admit to your disillusions?......you'll say you were wrong?

Or will you call conspiracy?

Let me guess

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Yes maybe. Why do you so easily believe what the mainstream media tells you even after they repeatedly distort the truth? Where is the information coming from, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband. No doubt he would say that entry into Iranian waters was inadvertant. You wouldn't expect anything else from a government official. I guess I am jaded but I just don't trust the words of the government without questioning it.

Proto has some vaild points and they could be spies. Nobody will ever really know, its not like anyone would admit it. I don't see why his theory about spies is any less believable then what some government official says.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Here is an update to this I just came across

Iran dashes release hopes as five sailors face spying inquiry

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Actually I have looked at the map. It's very clear that Bahrain and Dubai are on the Eastern Side of the Gulf and that Iran is on the Western side of the Gulf.

In fact 150 miles on the other side of the gulf.

Do you actually know how to read a map? Hint the blue area is water!

The side that Bahrain and Dubai are on are joined by a mutual coast.

The side that Iran is on is on the other side of that blue water and is not on the same coast.

They were 150 miles off course, and violated Iranian Waters during military exercises.

Like it or not this is the price England is paying for its poor foreign policy.

Like it or not there really is no plausible reason for them to be 150 miles off course on the opposite side of the Persian Gulf from where they were going to.

Not even incompetence, mechanical failure, and inclement weather all put together adds up to 150 miles off course in a sail boat in a days time.

Facts are facts.

The good news is that Iranians are very fair, honorable, peace loving people, and will probably be very lenient on them while trying to walk a fine line that sends a clear message to nations that would spy on them at the same time.

I dare say those English Spies have far less to worry about in Iran than Iranian Spies would have to worry about in England.

Me I am not quite so nice I would keep them captive at the Iranian Nuclear Energy sites until all this sabre rattleing blows over.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

An excellent observation my friend. Even in this day and age of Satellites and sophisticated listening devices there is no substitute for eyes on the ground.

I am pretty sure it will be the same pattern as last year. Israel will launch an attack right after the Christmas Holidays on Iran.

Iran has niftier rockets than Hammas does though and when they start landing in Tel Aviv and the American Fleet is sunk with surface to sea missiles the U.S. and England will go in too.

The Yacht race was perfectly timed for this and chances are that's why the yacht race itself was scheduled for when it was.

Now chances are the sailboat was not the primary spying vessel but designed to draw off Iranian vessels in that area while a mini-sub or go fast boat went in to do the heavy work.

The Iranians are probably figuring that out long about now, after waterboarding the kids and pulling out their fingernails and making them listen to Barry Manilow Records, and forcing them to eat Cous Cous anyone would talk.

Just the sight of a Barry Manilow Record would get me to spill the beans!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Well they're free.
(maybe)

The Foreign Office says it is "actively investigating" reports that five UK yachtsmen held by the Iranian navy for a week have been freed.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Release is confirmed!

www.independent.co.uk...

Five British sailors detained after their yacht apparently strayed into Iranian waters have been released, the Foreign Office said today.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband, speaking outside his home in London, welcomed the announcement that the five men, held since last week, had been released and were now heading towards international waters.

Oliver Smith, 31, from Southampton; Oliver Young, 21, from Saltash, near Plymouth; Sam Usher, 26, from Scarborough, North Yorkshire; Luke Porter, 21, from Weston-super-Mare; and Bahrain-based radio presenter David Bloomer, thought to be in his 60s, were on board.

So much for this being spy activity - releasing spies wouldn't be very smart now would it!

Seems like too much hassle for the regime to keep these captive for now, probably have bigger issues on their plate with their internal disputes raging on.

Seems they were innocent sportsmen who strayed accidently, and the regime weren't looking for anything to gain from this.

I'm sure this thread will continue for around another few pages with conspiracies, but I can't see any here unless some new information come forth.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by john124]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The Iranians did the right thing. International Spy's come in many shapes and sizes... they even sail boats to secretly gather info.

If you need to do your Christopher Cross thing, do it in your own waters.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join