It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if aliens arent that smart?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Well, I think that there is a vast variety of life in the Universe. Therefore I believe there are being that are smarter than us, and also beings that are, I'm missing a word here, so let's say less inteligent.
And the way they look depends on the planet they evolved on. Some of them live underwater, some have wings, many of them we would compare to our animals, others are more like us. I guess we can't even begin to imagine what's going on out there. Maybe some of them developed high technology, others might be on the level of stone age (or whatever age, I mean, how can we know if they even have stones, maybe there's something totally different). Knowing (or more acuratelly, not knowing) how gigantic is the Universe, it's safe to say, everything might be out there.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

thanks for the kind words

im enjoying this thread, lots of different views and theories

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
One thing to consider - they may or may not be smarter than us. They may just be "different".

In other words due to their habitat, biological makeup, social structure, and a host of other factors their thought patterns may be so different from ours that they do not make sense to us.

The reverse could be true as well - they may have as hard a time understanding how we behave as they do us.

The assumption that "they think like us" may not be true.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If "aliens" were that smart they wouldnt be coming to this #hole planet !

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hic sunt dracones
If "aliens" were that smart they wouldnt be coming to this #hole planet !

Even a "backwater" planet has it's charms.

However, if they were smart they absolutely would not have anything to do with our government. A more untrustworthy organization does not exist.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
tried to keep it short, I promise...
I think if you just read a little of this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
or rather, read the replies on at least the first page,
it will open your mind (hopefully), as it did mine, to something i find interesting.

Ancient civilizations varied a lot, they all had different accomplishments. We're one civilization (kinda) with era's of advancement to our name. Sure, we're not perfect but we could get there, if we give ourselves (eachother) a chance.

imagine a world with less civilizations, that kept on succeding in their efforts. think of the Africans for example, imagine they were the ONLY civ on earth, no matter how long it took they would keep growing at their own pace socially, technologically etc. they wouldn't worry about race and culture wars. Ultimately whatever the mind set of the people, they will achieve it.

On another planet, with one or few civs, with all the materials and socio-economic and technological advancements they need, they could accomplish things we couldn't imagine. Maybe these things we see in the sky.

We are still young, they are old, or at least won the race with plenty time to spare. They're here, somewhere. We battle to comprehend many things, I think many aspects of Aliens and UFO's are some of those things. Time, it sails on, and we learn amidst the ripples.

Originally posted by Lee_K
It depends how far you look into things but if you believe the whole cow mutilation, people abducted for experiment stuff then it basically points to the fact that maybe they aren't as advanced as we'd like to think. If they are learning about us...

Lee_K, they're inquisitive, just like us. I put a frog in the freezer as a kid, to bring it back to life via thawing, like a wasp, but no, alas it threw its guts out its mouth.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I brought this topic up a while ago and it didn't even get noticed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

To sum up my point of view on this:

I suppose I might be smarter than some people who are capable of kicking my ass., to the point of being able to outsmart them and get them in a bad position so that I can incapacitate them and destroy them. If I played my cards right is there any reason I shouldn't be able to kick some other guy's ass who is bigger than me or a more experienced fighter? Is it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE that I could fight a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and win? I think not. Would I want to try it? Proabably NOT...
but I still think it's perfectly possible that if I KNOW about that black belt's abilities first and I am smarter than him...then I can possible BEAT him...as long as he doesn't know more about me and my abilities.

Or maybe picture me repeatedly and stealthily coming out of a hiding place to attack a much bigger guy with my knife until he succumbs to his injuries, even though in a full frontal confrontation he would be the victor and beat the $#@& out of me!

And that last sentence I think might describe the ET's relationship to us. They have the ability to observe us more than we have the abilityh to obseve them. I think we have some muscle or barbarism about us that they might not want to deal with. However they have a much better vantage point and the ability to observe us and learn alot about us while we are still in the dark about them. I think they may depend on this order to maintain their superiority. Maybe they are not invincible to us and have limited numbers or their technology is hard to replace. But I think they try to stay just out of our reach and for the most part are very capable of doing so. They may occasionally get caught with their gaurd down, and I think they also may take a special interest when this happens, even in a single individual if such a person is lucky (or unlucky) enough to get them in such a position. I think people who had such experiences are frequently watched for awhile. I think that their trechnology or approach to observing us is considered basically infallible by them; they think they have humans figured out and to a large extent they do, but sometimes a human comes along who is against the grain and this really takes the ETs by surprise.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Orrrr...

The "original" aliens (the smart ones) came in peace to a planet inhabited with rather stupid but aggressive aliens. The low sparked aliens commandeered the smart aliens' craft. Being highly advanced, the systems of the craft are so automated all it takes to operate them is to basically say, "Go there!".

Uh oh...this could be bad. Mean, stupid aliens out joyriding. It explains a lot.

What is “alien technology” is just that? I mean it is alien technology to them. It is not their technology. They found it. A ship crashes on their planet and they just copy it. Or it is stolen technology. Some ET lands on a planet to take a look around and gets ‘jacked’. If there is aliens out there and I believe there is than there is technology out there that is from all sources. Self made technology, found technology, borrowed technology, bought or traded technology and even stolen technology. I use a cell phone and drive a car but I never could make these things my self. SO YES, you could have a caveman zipping about in a "flying saucer"

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by brofjw

i think it would probably be the other way round. Them thinking they were smarter and having the better tech. Never underestimate weasel cunning i say. A sock full of pennies to the back of the head while your taking a leak is never expected and rarely fails.

~TR

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Too many people have been watching Stargate where the humans kick Go'uld ass.
Your one of them!
By the way I adore stargate!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulsterman
Hello everyone,

So if anyone has any ideas or any points to add I'd love to hear them.
cheers everyone

Hi ulsterman,

Interestingly, I just read an article about "Super Earths". Apparently, they are a young type planet only developing 'relatively recently'.

If other rocky worlds with life are about as young as we are, then perhaps the lack of visiting spaceships indicates there are no ancient, highly advanced alien civilizations out there.

"Most life emerges on Super-Earths with habitable potential, but Super-Earths started forming in the galaxy only relatively recently, and few technical civilizations have managed to emerge since," Sasselov says.

source: www.space.com... (A very ineresting read, worthy of a topic itself)

Good topic. S&F.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ulsterman

Good post. Ive always thought that myself. The "aliens" could have easily stumbled across finding a way to make interstellar travel, while being on the same level as us in technology.

If that were true, and they did land here to communicate with us, there are gonna be some disappointed earthlings who are expecting to be told all the answers, or wish to be saved.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well, they were smart enough to get off their planet, i wonder if we will even get THAT far!
If you had a beautiful garden, and then some species of super rabbit started tearing it up, would you not be concerned? Would you not consider killing the rabbits to save the garden?
Maybe they are not here to save us, as some people think, they are here to save the planet FROM US, the mutated killer rabbits.
I also think that we ARE the aliens on this planet, if we evolved from sea slime, we would be much more 'in tune' with nature, instead of fighting it all the time.
Just a thought

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

AWSOME POST!
Keep in mind this discussion is based on Intelligence not technology.

I think it is totally possible they are not that much more intelligent than us and maybe less than. Do you think if humans were 90% less emotional and more logic based, say 500 years ago, would we be where we are now. Granted, war does bring about alot of new technologies, but if we just got along and reached for the stars 500 years ago, and there was no mental blockades from the religious sectors, we would be significantly more advanced and not necessarily more intelligent. I would dare to say that human have the same mental capacity as they did 500 years ago.

Brain Power is the key here.
It took us less than a hundred years to go from a plane that barely got off the ground, to getting a Space Station in orbit.
It might have taken an alien 10,000 years to do this. So even if the have more advanced stuff the may be mentally challenged when compared to us. Don’t under estimate what we are capable of doing and don’t tell me all of what we have accomplished is from backward engineering a crashed saucer either. Remember Einstein, he was a brilliant human being.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Interesting concept except for the fact that what humans on EARTH consider smart is being able to destroy themslves w/ technology multiple times over, SMH AT EATING FROM THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE FIRST AND NOT THE TREE OF LIFE FIRST. Mabey what some would consider as dumb is really being UNIVERSALLY HUMBLE/PEACEFUL/INTELLIGENT/ANGELIC.

[edit on 12/3/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible thought

Good point.

I agree with you

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's a safe bet to know that visiting ETs are so intelligent that we may have a hard time comprehending it. It would be like a caveman or an animal such as a chimp or dog trying to understand us.

This is a problem that works so well for us and all other civilizations out there. Before a people can visit other star systems they must progress to a certain level. That guarantees they will be benevolent. Need proof? We are still here.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Origin

Not really, there are millions upon millions of factors. We could sit here for centuries and go through everything trying to understand what an intelligent alien species may be like. In the end though i think we wouldn't even be close to the truth. It's like folks saying well if aliens are visiting our planet why don't they show themselves....and people come up with a myriad of possibilities. I think an aliens mindset would be far far beyond anything we could understand, i don't think using an example such as trying to teach a goldfish quantum mechanics even comes close. Then again aliens may not be visiting in the first place, course im just being hypothetical. Or the ufo's we see are alien AGI...scout ships if you will. Send miilions of them to scour the galaxy and relay info back without a biological life form in sight. The chances of intelligent aliens(assuming they exist) finding our little planet and also finding it while humans existed is unbelievably small. The chances are much greater that aliens have found our planet but it was long before we were around.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

If ETs are visiting here there is no reason to assume they are more intelligent than us. Indeed the may be less intelligent.

They may just be more technologically advanced that us or luckier.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join