It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awaking to the police state - USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am really starting to get the message behind some of the things that the militia and other some what rebellious groups are talking about. Here is a short story.
Last night, I was pulled over for a tail light out. No big deal right? Wrong. He had to see my Drivers Licence, proof of insurance, ask me if I'd been drinking, inquiring as to where I was heading, what was I doing out at that particular time and was I going home. I was a little perturbed to say the least.
I wonder why it couldn't have gone a little like this...
"Sir, your tail light is out." "thanks officer, and goodnight." That would've been an exchange I would've considered "Protecting and serving". And if it was that important too him, than just write the damned ticket and get on with your shift. I really don't get some of this stuff - the tactics. If they are that afraid of interacting with the public, than maybe they ought to give the responsibility too some one consisting of a little more bravery.
Thanks,
Vance

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yup ...it truley sucks...the only thing the police are missing is the swastika .

Did you notice how many and how they are dressed to get that guy that shot the 4 officers.

In our town of 1500 people....the cops wear bullet proof vest's....we are in the bible belt...no crime ....you can leave your car running while in the grocery store...I left my 10 speed bike in front of the store one night ....it was still there the next day. So why do our police need military gear to patrol "Mayberry"?

The gearing up for something.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is an excellent youtube clip by Naomi Wolf on warning about the Police State.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I think you are getting upset over nothing here.

I've been pulled over, or in the car when it has been pulled over quite a few times, and every time each Five Oh has gone through the same script. I'd rather have them waste a bit of my time asking questions if it leads to something 1 out of 1000 times.

I've been pulled over and had to go through this and thought damn...that wasn't really necessary, but come on...it's one of those things that, as long as you are not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't have a problem with.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
you consider some questions a police state???

You had a tailight out which is an offense they can give you a ticket for, instead he asked some questions...I am assuming he didn't give you the ticket...yeah that is hardcore Nazism right there

Maybe he was just checking up and doing his job by making sure people weren't out doing the DUI thing...sounds like protecting to me

I would chock that up as serving you (not giving you a ticket) and protecting others (making sure you weren't up to no good)

He didn't give you a ticket, no breathalyzer, no body search...no big deal IMO

-Kyo

[edit on 30-11-2009 by KyoZero]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
you consider some questions a police state???

You had a tailight out which is an offense they can give you a ticket for, instead he asked some questions...I am assuming he didn't give you the ticket...yeah that is hardcore Nazism right there

Maybe he was just checking up and doing his job by making sure people weren't out doing the DUI thing...sounds like protecting to me

He didn't give you a ticket, no breathalyzer, no body search...no big deal IMO

-Kyo

Seemingly. If he is under age, maybe. But in this Country for an Adult.

PAPERS PLEASE! STATE YOUR Business!
Do you have Permission?
I would rather have gotten the fix it ticket, then have to answer to those of whom have not the right.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

ahhh..but if this guy was pulled over, just told about his light, then later on down the road gets in a wreck because he HAD been drinking...this cop would lose his job.

I am NOT saying that the OP was drunk driving, but it could have been the case. It was just a guy doing his job in a very non police state way.

and yes, anyone out late at night would subject themselves to being asked why are you out. if anything, out of pure curiosity.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Though I don't disagree with the larger message, I don't think your personal account really supports that.

I know I, personally, if I had a tail light out, even after being informed, wouldn't be too keen on replacing it without consequences. The warning/ticket is a great motivator to spend the $5 on a new bulb instead of the $25 on a ticket!

As to the other questions, police are trained to search for illegal activity. It used to be that, if a cop pulled you over for a broken taillight, he could search your car on a whim. That is now illegal without probable cause, and even if the cop found 100 pounds of plastic explosives, 50 kgs of coc aine and enough small arms to invade Panama, you would walk free because the evidence would be inadmissible.

To get around that, they ask you questions and weigh your responses. They want to keep you talking to see if you're slurring your words. They want to check to make sure you and your car are legal to drive (since they do have probable cause to believe you are driving your car
). They want to see if you get abnormally angry (could imply inebriation on alcohol or other drugs), etc.

You don't have to answer the questions (you do need to provide the drivers license and proof of insurance), but they can make the whole experience take a lot longer if you don't.

So, really, that story demonstrates a lessening of a police state. There was a cop that would sit on 90/94 about 10 or 15 years ago and pull over anyone who looked of college age with an air freshener hanging from their rear view mirror (called it a sight obstruction). Then he would search their car and persons for drugs. (Guy was a jagbag... My family had many encounters with him coming back to Illinois after an annual th of July celebration!) Now, he couldn't do that, and instead just has to ask questions and search for tells that a judge would find admissible as probable cause.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it isn't a tad annoying but police state for some questions? Doubt it....

See the whole thing is I hear people over and over and over harping on the police state thing...for YEARS....where the heck is this police state? Nobody I know has ever been unfairly treated by the government, police, military, CIA, FBI...anybody...I just think with the way people talk about this police state you would think alot more people would come forward...it's being blown out of proportion for a cop asking some simple questions.

He didn't say "what's in the glove compartment."

He didn't read him rights, he didn't search his car or person, he didn't even issue the ticket for goodness sake and this is a sign of the police state? Sounds to me like someone in a bad mood getting pulled over and taking offense to what seems to be benign questions.

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I am not a cop lover by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand I do express respect to all of the various police forces around Canada and the United States of America.

From my viewpoint we do need those who desire to protect and to serve weather for Queen and Country or for the Constitution of the United States of America.

They may be many defenseless persons only line of defense or offense.

My own viewpoint lies in that of a Social Anarchist Libertarian (I read to much Jefferson) in the classical sense yet that is only because of my upbringing (which was mostly me looking after me from 8 years of age onward)

Anyhow I have had many many run ins with the police and to be completely honest for the most part I was just being a ass or I sort of look like a guy who should be checked out...whatever..I really do not care.

Yet they have always been very good with me. For example when the Border Guys warned me that they would be checking under my groin area after I was read and spread i fully appreciated the warning!

So what?

They let me over the border.

They were just doing their job.

They can't help the way I look.

Nor can they help with the fact that my Dad went to jail many times, my brother in law did 12 years hard time, my family has a 500 year old history of hanging with Native Americans or any other such BS.

lol

All kidding aside they do need to do their job as this world is full of scary people. Without that thin blue line just another thin colored line would form.

After all the world is full of lines.

We simply need to adapt and pursue justice, peace and truth in the terms laid out for us by our forefathers.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by vance

That is a normal traffic stop, been that way for ages.
Whenever they pull you over they are required to check your license ect, and they check you for any outstanding warrants. This is how many criminals are caught, starting off with a simple traffic stop. Police refer to this fishing.

new topics

top topics

join