It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Divisive Redundant Threads Allowed on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hello,

I am curious. I attempted to bump up a post by Moocowman about the ridiculousness and false claims of prayers to make the point that these same threads, with the same arguments are allowed to be created over and over again. The same people participate in the same manner each time.

Why isn't this a running thread?

With all the other topics that can be explored on ATS why is this a near constant subject?

Why didn't God heal my grandmother?
Why didn't God stop war?
Why didn't God prevent genocide?

And the latest: Why won't God heal an amputee?

The real debate subject is: If God exists why doesn't God manifest itself in a tangible, visible, provable way?

There could be a single running thread on this topic. Other times we are directed to an existing thread why not when these crop up?

These threads are an excuse for people to start something up and ridicule each other. They always end up the same way, and they always flow the same way. I can predict them with such certainty as to who would post what that I could take this "talent" to the JREF foundation and be proven psychic.

Is no one else tired of this? Why can't we create a single running thread or an "arena" where people can hash this out?

Edit: Removed question.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by A Fortiori]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

So, when people have specific post on a subject, you would seek to generalize the entire subject matter into one lump topic and thus stop important discussion on specific subject matter?

Tell you what.. why don't we just do away with all ATS sub fourms and only have one big fourm under "Conspiracies" that everything would fall under. Would that be fair? No, well that's what you propose.

So this time it's about God and ______. What's next, lump all the Government and ________. topics into one?

If each topic brings up a specific aspect to be discussed, then it is valid an lumping them all together would be silly. hey.. if you don't like those topics.. you don't have to read them. You are free to ignore them :-)

[edit on 30-11-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
You are being slightly disingenuous in your summary of my remark. You know that I am not attempting to prevent discussion on the various dynamics of a topic. There are many facets to religion, God, etc. Many, many things for people to argue about. Asking why God doesn't heal an amputee is the same as asking why God doesn't cure cancer. It is not the same as asking if God exists. It is not the same as asking if the Christian religion is based off other Mystery religions, etc.

If there was a new post about "no planes hitting the Pentagon" people would eyeroll and direct them to the fifty million "no plane" threads that have existed on ATS.

These threads are just an excuse to have an anti-Christian battleground, no different than the "radical Islam" thread I just noticed. How many of them does there need to be?

I could understand if they all said different things then there is value in keeping the thread up as opposed to redirecting it to an existing thread, but there is not.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by A Fortiori
You are being slightly disingenuous in your summary of my remark. You know that I am not attempting to prevent discussion on the various dynamics of a topic.

I know no such thing. That is exactly how your subject reads to me. If you feel otherwise perhaps you should have explained it better in the OP.

Edit:

Then what you propose is we have "open" Thread that never go away. the reason many times people post threads that are similar to other threads is because they do not know the thread exist.. they don't always think to search for the right keywords, and so they think it a topic that hasn't been discussed before.

How are you going to get a thread from going away so that all people will see it and know to post in it?

[edit on 30-11-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
IF I hadn't seen threads be closed and redirected because the topic was already covered or there was an existing thread on the subject then you would never hear a peep out of me.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

As you state some may feel they have a different slant on some topics, and will post same. A number of topics have a strong emotional "kick". No harm is done, let 'em post. No one forces any one to read anything.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Why are redundant 9-11 threads redirected?

These threads are absolutely redundant and for the purpose of digging at other posters. If they were for the purpose of real and actual inquiry one might perform a "Search" on the topic if they were a brand new poster, which 80% of the people on this site are not. It is the same people that post on these. Don't be coy. You know this, I know this.

I know as certain as I know the sun will come up tomorrow that MooCowMan will post on these even knowing that he started a thread of his own on this very same subject. Don't get me wrong. I love MooCowMan and love debating with him, but these threads aren't a debate. They are a continuing fight, so why not put them in a continuing thread as one may do with a 9-11 topic.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
because the conspiracy in religion board is pretty much a troll paradise. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a thread here that really had something to do with conspiracy?
It is all just christians and athiests trolling each other. There is a spirituality board and a science board where people discuss things CiR is a place for athiests and christians to get on soap boxes and preach. In CiR you can also get away with all kinds of things for example.

okay

I do not hate christians i hate what they do!
you know because of all the murder rape and other things over the years

Not okay

I do not blacks i hate what they do!
you know because of all the murder rape and other things over the years

So why is one okay and not the other?

[edit on 30-11-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thank you for putting the issue in proper terms.

Those threads are nothing more than a troll paradise. It has become absurd. The thread titles are ad hominem. The material inside is vitriolic. The posters are repeat offenders.

If people want to carry out such obvious trolling they ought to be relegated to a single thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

I think CiR should be done away with as there is almost never any Conspiracy in there anyways. The few thread that do have to do with conspiracy would fit in just fine in the General Conspiracy board. People who just want to troll the other side can go to an Athiest or Christian forum and post there, BTS also has a place to rant.
I really could care less if someone is athiest or christian but when they start up they both sound like preachers on soapboxes.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I agree. All it does is create even more factions on a web board filled with them.

top topics

join