It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have no sense of duty...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Fellow ATSers.

Greetings, and welcome to a thread which I hope will provide me with a better idea about what motivates each of us in our dealings with our fellow men and women.

I am not particularly conscientious in certain areas - a key attribute for business success. I am not a big believer in rules and tend not to do things for the sake of it.

I have analysed my lack of conscientiousness over the last year and have realised that I am actually pretty conscientious...

The real issue is that I just dont have a sense of duty.

When I say 'duty', I mean:

du·ty

1. An act or a course of action that is required of one by position, social custom, law, or religion:
a. Moral obligation: acting out of duty.
b. The compulsion felt to meet such obligation.

Take military duty out of it - I would fight to protect my home territory. I am talking about the duty we supposedly are meant to feel to our jobs, our families and our society.

I will say that although I dont feel a sense of duty, I do have a strong sense of 'service' to others and wish to be useful and valuable. I am always seeking to be of service.

How many of you are dutybound? How many of you feel of service? How many of you are completely free of the pressure to conform to what society would view as the 'rules'?

Is duty important for a structured society?

Come on ATSers...are we mainly a forum of 'rulebreakers', or are we outwardly mainly conformists who use ATS as a virtual outlet for our non-conformist ideas.

What do you feel you have a duty to? Do you feel a duty to your fellow humans?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
That post made me smile...

I think the leaders of our countries would say that, yes, duty is very nececary for a society to funcion.

I'd say: only because most people lack the "feeling of service" to one and other. Only because duty keeps the controlled herd together.

In a perfect society 'service' is all you need, service to each other out of free will, not obligated duty!

my two cents, S and F and curious to what others have to say on the topic

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I empathise with you, OP. If there's a good reason to do something, whether I want to or not, I'll do it to the best of my ability. Everything else can either get done by somebody else, or fall by the wayside.
My time is worth more to me, even sat around doing nothing, than to spend it doing stuff for the sake of convention or some misguided obligation foisted onto me, most often by a system in which those in charge do do bugger all, most of the time, & what they do in the odd moments of activity is most likely against the interests of my family & I.
That's why I'm self employed! Not easy right now... but better than the slave's alternative.
S&F btw.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm the same way, people call me lazy.

Too lazy to add more than one meaningful line to this post.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by KyleOrtonArmy]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Thank you GypsyK!

As society's constraints have been slowly eroded - we are more free emotionally, sexually and socially than ever before - do you think that duty has any place other than in government in this society?

As imposed 'duty' is eroded, and there is no increase in enlightened 'service' in parallel - are we about to see more upheaval as societies become even more about the individual?

Bunken Drum - funnily enough, I am self-employed too!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyleOrtonArmy
I'm the same way, people call me lazy.

Too lazy to add more than one meaningful line to this post.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by KyleOrtonArmy]

Like your style...

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by chillpill
reply to post by GypsK

do you think that duty has any place other than in government in this society?

I guess not everyone is ready for a world without duty so for them that would only evolve in chaos

As imposed 'duty' is eroded, and there is no increase in enlightened 'service' in parallel - are we about to see more upheaval as societies become even more about the individual?

If there was no more duty but also no increase in peoples 'enlightment' so to speak, that would be a terrible scenario!
When it comes to our responsibilities towards others, we either want to take them or we don't. Right now it's our duty to take certain responsibilities. But if there is no more duty, then, for example: every mother can neglect her child unpunished when she feels no 'need for service' towards the child... or towards the elders, the poor, the homeless, etc...
if that scenario would become true then we are back to the law of the jungle, the law of the strongest.

Bunken Drum - funnily enough, I am self-employed too!

lol, I'm self employed as well ,only because I want to be and there is no boss to tell me what to do..

[edit on 30/11/2009 by GypsK]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Good topic, my definition of duty is doing what directly needs done even though I dont enjoy doing it and doing it to the best of my ability.
It seems then I would have selective duty, which I guess in a way we all have, even yourself.
There's only so many hands at the ends of your arms, and I'd rather do a few things WELL than many things 1/2 assed.
What "helps" me in my duties and the selection of them is a process I've called "The little boxes theory".
Of all the situations and tasks we encounter throughout any given day, week, month, year.... categorizing them into their own little boxes in my . sure helps in getting rid of that "overwhelmed" sensation, and gets them completed and dealt with quicker.
One of my least favorite duties, =asking the spandex painted half of beef beast in each leg hole 10w40 hair treatment barely using inglesh food smeared on her shirt from the 8th trip to the buffet child smacking child insulting child threatening hair pulling public abuser in aisle 4, "if she would either please stop beating her kids or at least stop having them.

I'm thinking we all have duty.....it's just selective.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
Good topic, my definition of duty is doing what directly needs done even though I dont enjoy doing it and doing it to the best of my ability.
It seems then I would have selective duty, which I guess in a way we all have, even yourself.
There's only so many hands at the ends of your arms, and I'd rather do a few things WELL than many things 1/2 assed.
What "helps" me in my duties and the selection of them is a process I've called "The little boxes theory".
Of all the situations and tasks we encounter throughout any given day, week, month, year.... categorizing them into their own little boxes in my . sure helps in getting rid of that "overwhelmed" sensation, and gets them completed and dealt with quicker.
One of my least favorite duties, =asking the spandex painted half of beef beast in each leg hole 10w40 hair treatment barely using inglesh food smeared on her shirt from the 8th trip to the buffet child smacking child insulting child threatening hair pulling public abuser in aisle 4, "if she would either please stop beating her kids or at least stop having them.

I'm thinking we all have duty.....it's just selective.

Oh, oh, oh...little boxes theory...tell...tell...tell!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by chillpill

Situations-events-tasks-surprises come at us at varying speeds, varying details and priorities constantly. We tend to become awash with their affect when they reach the easily unmanageable chaotic levels they tend to get at so quickly. The reaction is to feel overwhelmed because they all pile up and get buried and tossed together into
that "1" box of "what we have to do" .We then become ineffective and lower or non producing and frustrated accomplishing little or nothing,
taking that feeling along with us into the next encounter, and the slope becomes steeper.
Little boxes.... categories... priority... application to the task at hand.
Importance? Group?
I made my own, Family, Work, Friends, Self.
Thats about the best way to briefly explain it, nothing great, just a tool.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by chillpill
Fellow ATSers.

Greetings, and welcome to a thread which I hope will provide me with a better idea about what motivates each of us in our dealings with our fellow men and women.

I am not particularly conscientious in certain areas - a key attribute for business success. I am not a big believer in rules and tend not to do things for the sake of it.

I have analysed my lack of conscientiousness over the last year and have realised that I am actually pretty conscientious...

The real issue is that I just dont have a sense of duty.

When I say 'duty', I mean:

du·ty

1. An act or a course of action that is required of one by position, social custom, law, or religion:
a. Moral obligation: acting out of duty.

Take military duty out of it - I would fight to protect my home territory. I am talking about the duty we supposedly are meant to feel to our jobs, our families and our society.

I will say that although I dont feel a sense of duty, I do have a strong sense of 'service' to others and wish to be useful and valuable. I am always seeking to be of service.

How many of you are dutybound? How many of you feel of service? How many of you are completely free of the pressure to conform to what society would view as the 'rules'?

Is duty important for a structured society?

Come on ATSers...are we mainly a forum of 'rulebreakers', or are we outwardly mainly conformists who use ATS as a virtual outlet for our non-conformist ideas.

What do you feel you have a duty to? Do you feel a duty to your fellow humans?

Think about this for a moment. Think about how many people it has taken over a course of time, to refine to you from the many. A strait line of life that has not been broken and perhaps that life ends in you or not.

Your duty while it seams like the lowest thing in the world, is what those before you duty was. Give the life freely, and always honor it.

No different then a pine cone and pine. Be fruitful....multiply. Life is the only thing that matters to life. All else falls short. Your purpose is grand though not recognized, the lowest and the greatest a full sine unto you. (pun intended)

Peace

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Duty can be the kit that efficiently holds together a team.
While serving in the Army, they taught us the Army Values:

If you put some thought into them, you will see that there are not really 7 of them, as they freely flow into each other. Duty, Integrity, Service, and Courage. Loyalty, and Respect. And Honor unites them all.

The Army Values put the U.S. Constitution, and thus the rights of all people, before anything else. You are to serve the Nation, respect the people, and stand up to all enemies of the people foreign & domestic.
You are to have enough integrity to do what is right, especially when nobody's looking.
You can look at any of the values, and see how they tie into the rest of them.
So all of them also tie right into Duty.
Duty to my country, and duty to my fellow human beings.

If you, and your friends (co-workers) follow a code, you can trust in each other. You know that when something needs to be done, somebody will do it.
And anybody will help out their counterparts.

Of course something like this can be used to control, however such instances never last. People with true character stand out. Honor begets Honor. A leader that fears his subordinates, will never trust them. Trust also begets Trust. And the need to control, is a form of fear in my eyes.

I no longer am in the military, but I still try to follow the Army Values. I just need to swap 'the Army' with whatever club or job I'm with, and 'my Unit' with my friends, co-workers, and family.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
double post!

[edit on 30-11-2009 by chillpill]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carlthulhu
Duty can be the kit that efficiently holds together a team.
While serving in the Army, they taught us the Army Values:

If you put some thought into them, you will see that there are not really 7 of them, as they freely flow into each other. Duty, Integrity, Service, and Courage. Loyalty, and Respect. And Honor unites them all.

The Army Values put the U.S. Constitution, and thus the rights of all people, before anything else. You are to serve the Nation, respect the people, and stand up to all enemies of the people foreign & domestic.
You are to have enough integrity to do what is right, especially when nobody's looking.
You can look at any of the values, and see how they tie into the rest of them.
So all of them also tie right into Duty.
Duty to my country, and duty to my fellow human beings.

If you, and your friends (co-workers) follow a code, you can trust in each other. You know that when something needs to be done, somebody will do it.
And anybody will help out their counterparts.

Of course something like this can be used to control, however such instances never last. People with true character stand out. Honor begets Honor. A leader that fears his subordinates, will never trust them. Trust also begets Trust. And the need to control, is a form of fear in my eyes.

I no longer am in the military, but I still try to follow the Army Values. I just need to swap 'the Army' with whatever club or job I'm with, and 'my Unit' with my friends, co-workers, and family.

Wow - thanks for this.

I really wish more people were less selfish...and did keep to their stated obligations.

My partner is ex-military. His biggest adjustment has been that people in civilian life rarely do what they say they will. They do not fulfil their stated obligations. It surprises him every time someone lets him down...adn that's frequent..

I find the military mindset extremely interesting. How have you found civilian life? Are you an inspirer?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Once I was in a deep trip when I realized I had nothing to do. There was nothing that I had to do and even to make the first move I had to think it out movement by movement and give a reason for making each one. That was total ego loss, but it made me think how caught up we are in doing what we think we have to.

Needless to say after that one I don't nearly have as bad of a problem slowing down my pace and ignoring the things that don't matter or that I don't have control over, letting go and only focusing on the things that truly matter.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I'm sorry to say, I'm right there with your partner. Civillians are strange. I'll still try to do my best though, as I've always been a person that swims against the flow. I've become more self-reliant in the year out. But I still tend to extend a hand out in trust to my fellow civillians. You can be trusting without being stupid. How was that old saying of Bush? "Fail me once, shame on you. Fail me twice, shame on you -or was it me?"

I usually give people about 5 tries.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carlthulhu

I'm sorry to say, I'm right there with your partner. Civillians are strange. I'll still try to do my best though, as I've always been a person that swims against the flow. I've become more self-reliant in the year out. But I still tend to extend a hand out in trust to my fellow civillians. You can be trusting without being stupid. How was that old saying of Bush? "Fail me once, shame on you. Fail me twice, shame on you -or was it me?"

I usually give people about 5 tries.

Yes, and he keeps getting bitten. Best thing is that I end up being the bad one. Everyone loves him. Everyone thinks he is trusting. Everyone thinks they can take full advantage of him.

I point out that people are not performing...even if he see it and he delivers the bad news...I still get it in the neck.

He is loved. I am hated!

It's so funny...

But people do not like being 'found out' for not playing the game as they have said they would...unfortunately, I can be outspoken!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I like this - I get this (always happy when I get something) :-)

du·ty
2. a. Moral obligation: acting out of duty.

really excellent - service, obligation...duty?

as an example - I have a very strong work ethic - I will always do my job - because it's what I was hired to do - I'll do it to the best of my ability - even when I don't feel like doing it

(just like most people)

but I won't do anything if I feel it's wrong

so - I don't really know what to call that :-)

I am obliged to do what's expected of me because it's a fair exchange of labor for pay - but I don't feel duty bound at all

I do have a strong sense of loyalty - to those I love and respect

but still - not duty

but in the end - it will always play out just the same as if it was because of a sense of duty - so is there a difference?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

That is such a freaking excellent point! I love it.

It's made me think.

Is the difference that duty is motivated by fear (if you dont do something there's a negative consequence), and service is motivated by care and compassion (you just do it because you want to)?

Awesome point - well made!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

:-)

I seem to be having an extremely lucid day

riding the wave...

I love this kind of stuff - hope more people chime in

S&F (which I forgot to do before)

edit to add: OK - not extremely - just more than usual :-)

[edit on 11/30/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join