It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribal Lifestyle Vs. Civilization

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gazerstar

It's especially interesting to me because I was just reading someone's personal experiences over on another forum, of how they were projecting an aspect of themselves benevolently over to a young child who was crying for some reason or another, and to their surprise, the child immediately stopped crying and commanded the word "Adonai," very clearly. The child being something like maybe 5 years old and supposedly having no understanding of Kabbalah.

It really makes me wonder if certain sounds/words don't have inherent power to them after all...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
First of all, I have to tell that, even if I would, with great excitation, accept to get back to a hunter - gatherer life style, I do know life is hardest and shortest out in the wild than in the safety of my home. But still it is healthier, and much more "real" than the life. I'd rather live 40 full years than 70 years of emptiness.
Actually, my "utopia" would be a world with mostly small self sufficient communities (no more than 200 inhabitants each... and still, 200 is many). Since these would be small and isolated villages, there are very few risks of conflicts. Actually, on a larger scale, this is a much better way of life. If there is a pandemy for example, then there will be like 2 or 3 villages slain, since they have no cure for that. Yet, it will be less than our pandemies that spread world wide and kill much more people in the end, even if we have a cure. Also, this world would include some nomade tribes, mainly hunter gatherers but also merchants.
But I now that such a system can't work with 6 billions humans on Earth. 1 billion would be reasonnable, maybe less actually...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I just can't see following a tribal chief and doing what ever the chief says. I picture the chief of a tribe as a dictator with total control over the people in his tribe. So I don't see freedom.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Wow! That's interesting. That kind of reminds me of the Enochian language which is allegedly the ancient language of the angels that Adam knew and lost as part of his Fall from Paradise. The ancients often thought that words had power. I've thought a lot about that, and I've come to believe that, at least in a sense, that is true. People have the power to affect other people's mindset, emotions, moods, perceptions, and actions through words if that person is open and susceptible to outward influences. For example, if someone makes us mad or hurts our feelings, our energy changes, our blood pressure and heart rate increases, and we do things in a different way than we would if we were operating with a happy mindset. In that way, the person who hurt us has control of our minds (if we can't get over it or keep repeating the slight in our minds over and over). Have you noticed that?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazerstar
People have the power to affect other people's mindset, emotions, moods, perceptions, and actions through words if that person is open and susceptible to outward influences. For example, if someone makes us mad or hurts our feelings, our energy changes, our blood pressure and heart rate increases, and we do things in a different way than we would if we were operating with a happy mindset. In that way, the person who hurt us has control of our minds (if we can't get over it or keep repeating the slight in our minds over and over). Have you noticed that?

Yes I have noticed. There are still mystics who have secret words that are unspoken because of their power. There is also tone variance that makes words more powerful. An example of this is in the movie "Dune" where she uses the "voice".

[edit on 2-12-2009 by JJay55]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Well, he's not really a dictator. I mean, he's a part of the tribe, he works with the other men. He not superior to them, so he usually listens to the other members of his tribe. This, of course, only works if it is a small tribe, so that the hierarchy remains humane.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jalis

That all depends how we define "tribal". The definition can go all the way from hunter-gatherer bands where the leader has little power, right down to "primitive" states, in which the tribal chiefs rule with an autocratic iron fist.
To an earlier post: are we not somehow still a gathering culture? Whenever I see women in supermarkets - especially slowed down in the vegetable section - it reminds me of the San (Bushman) women gathering.
I suppose the only difference is the money involved. On that issue, here's a nice aboriginal poem by Kath Walker:
"No nore boomerang
No more spear
Now all civilized -
colour bar and beer.
No more sharing
What the hunter brings.
Now we work for money
Then pay it back for things."

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by godless
reply to post by gazerstar

There is a group of anthropologists who put forth the theory that Civilization was actually a huge mistake for humanity. They claim that the traditional lifestyle of the hunter-gatherers resulted in healthier, happier people while keeping human poplulation growth in check. In contrast they point to the many problems visited on Man by the civilized lifestyle; things like starvation, slavery, war, poverty, all kinds of mental illness, the destruction of closeknit societies, and so on.

I must admit that I have a lot of sympathy for the argument and even have elaborated on it in my own way. You see, I have been a student of Religion for over 30 years now and, it seems to me, that another detrimental repercussion of Civilization is the birth of organized Religion.

Yes you partially right. As humans we aren't meant for heavily congested cities and packed together like sardines with limited space. But if civilization was tempered and done properly it would embrace both trends of tribalism and city-life. One method is arcologies...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Happy to see,
so many supporters,
of tribalism.

Be a big supporter,
myself.

Your ideas seem quite similar,
to mine own.

Tribe be,
holographic projection of atom,

Creating belief system,
unifying technology and tribalism.

We You Net, it's called.

So We (your tribe) and You can have interNet. :-)

Make software for Neo-Tribalism!
Be useful for a tribe!
Learn a craft!
Do act now!

[edit on 6-12-2009 by lowki]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It depends WHICH tribe you are talking about.
All tribes are different. Some are more violent that others.
Some are just as racist as civilized people and will cut off your head just for being different.
If it's Innuit tribe or anything Native American then Yes. They seem incredibly placid, calm and in tune with the world and the Universe. I think they prove that TRIBES can be CIVILIZED.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
It depends WHICH tribe you are talking about.
All tribes are different. Some are more violent that others.
Some are just as racist as civilized people and will cut off your head just for being different.
If it's Innuit tribe or anything Native American then Yes. They seem incredibly placid, calm and in tune with the world and the Universe. I think they prove that TRIBES can be CIVILIZED.

I see a hint of sarcasm there, and yes, that is how modernity views tribalism.
To older anthropological discourse the Inuit/San and some others are hunter-gatherers. They are usually called "bands", not "tribes", and they are very much romanticised and stereotyped. Especially the San (Bushmen) have been romaticised since the 1920s. It seems that once the Bushmen Wars in South Africa were over, there was a degree of guilt and the stereotype of physical othernerness became one of mankind-in-balance with nature.
The European imagination works on binaries: savage/noble savage, madonna woman/whore woman...and so forth.
Hence we have "good tribes" and "bad tribes". This was already evident in the writings of Columbus, when he divided the Carribbean people into gentle "Arrawak", and cannibalistic "Carib".
If these differences ever existed, it is the war-like people who have a greater chance of genetic survival as a tribal entity.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We can form self-replicating tribal societies.

A self-sustaining tribe, creates seed tribes, spreading like nature.

So we with you could live in a forest garden of life.

uahahaahhahahahaha

Be one with,
a fundamental concept.

Oh yes, the We You Net is now an official intentional community.
directory.ic.org...

I just wanted to share this tribal living accomplishment with you.
To show that you to can form your own tribe.

Here is a video about different kinds of tribes.

Remember life is paradise www.abovetopsecret.com...

We can upkeep it by having a constitution that allows us to fullfill our chakras.

0. let entity be nothing or do nothing
1. let entity be aware or do sense
2. let entity be desirer or do satisfy
3. let entity be free or do choose

4. let entity be stable or do commitments
5. let entity be wise or do express
6. let entity be sage or do intuit
7. let entity be traveler or do move

8. let entity be local or do homestead
9. let entity be planetary or do environmentalism
10. let entity be solar system's or do space flight
11. let entity be galactic or do commune with stars
12. let entity be universal or do intersect
13. let entity be multiversal or do union
14. let entity be metaversal or do mix
15. let entity be eternal or do infinite

more at www.abovetopsecret.com...

So really we can have civilization with tribal lifestyle.

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter.
Atom tribes can be the basic building blocks of society.

Forming and reforming, creating various organisms,
just as is available by holographic analogy from biology.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Interesting thread. Am about a days walk through the jungle from a Hmong village where they live for the most part the way they have for centuries by farming and fishing. Much prefer it to so-called "civilised" societies.. Dont have all the tech and conveniences of civilisation but have a much better quality of life here. I prefer the simple lifestyle of the local villagers.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join