It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workplace drug testing ...... a must have

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Cheers.....now that is creative job hunting. My father pilot licences and he is a diabetic, not to mention 74. He is required to get a special waver from his doctor. Also, as it applies to DOT regulations, they give you a limited health card which requires more frequent physicals. Now, if your health is really bad and you can't pass the physical, than no your not getting a Pilots or DOT Medical Card for your licence.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoptics

This thread is a clear example of the dumbing down of America.

Originally posted by ufoptics
WOW.....that sure was a mouth full. I can not believe my eyes. First, in a democracy, the majority rules.

We live in a republic.

reply to post by LDragonFire

Can you please list these rights and where it says it is illegal??????

Its clearly a invasion of privacy
Drug testing can't prove when the person did the drugs, drug testing is not a measure of job preformance.

It automatically declares you guilty you must prove you are innocent by passing said test.

Our courts always ruled against drug testing prior to the war on drugs hype in the mid 1980's. It was always considered unconstitutional. As it violates search and seizure, before you needed probable cause or reasonable suspicion. It also violates privacy and automatically labels you as guilty and you must pass the test to prove your innocence..... all of these are constitutional issues........

To me the prohibition of drugs and alcohol and the use of drug tests are apart of the conservative religious agenda to control the people or to force them to abide by there moral beliefs.

I don't wanna live in a sober society, and I really don't care what you think!!!!

[edit on 29-11-2009 by LDragonFire]

[edit on 29-11-2009 by LDragonFire]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'd agree to let the Govt mandate they test me for drugs.

If they let me go over the budget searching for lost and misappropriated funds and keep 10% of what I restore to the public.

Seriously

This is Insane...

I'd need dope to go work for some institution every day or corporate monstrosity

I expect drugs under my health plan if I go to work... A muscle relaxer something so I don't go postal before noon... please

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueTruth

True, my point is a business owner has the right to do business as they see fit. The comments I were making my point to, is that if you don't like a companies policies, don't work for them. The problem with this in general is the masses are confused...they want freedom, but only to the point where it is excepted as fair. Freedom is the hardest and most responsible way of life. I think people today could never except it and handle it. They have been taken care of for far too long to embrace freedom in it's truest form.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The only upside of this drug testing would be...

Knowing from day one which of your coworkers were cool to hang out with after work.

So maybe this wouldn't be a bad idea, it could save you a great deal of time finding the 3 other pot heads in your office

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

True, my point is a business owner has the right to do business as they see fit. The comments I were making my point to, is that if you don't like a companies policies, don't work for them. The problem with this in general is the masses are confused...they want freedom, but only to the point where it is excepted as fair. Freedom is the hardest and most responsible way of life. I think people today could never except it and handle it. They have been taken care of for far too long to embrace freedom in it's truest form.

What you're saying sounds nice on paper, but it is not reality. It's not like there are an infinite number of jobs, and people can just hop around until they find one that makes them feel all fuzzy inside. In some places, especially in these times, jobs are hard to come by, and people have to take whatever they can get to feed themselves.

I hate having a boss, so I went back to school to become an acupuncturist, in the hopes I can work for myself. I fully understand the idea of taking things upon yourself.

But once again - you are speaking about ideals that do not translate into reality.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The reasons for drug testing is safety "supposedly", but you can take prescription drugs all day long, evidently they don't effect you negatively because they are legal(sarcasm). Anyway I think if it truly is for safety they should have impairment testing, I think the Air Force does it. I have a saying if you are stoned, sleepy, or stupid it doesn't matter impaired is impaired. For the record I think the testing especially for marijuana is completely ridiculous and a complete invasion fo privacy, guilty until proven innocent.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

What reality are you speaking of????? That is how this country was founded and how it operated for generations. You still don't get it. Warm and fuzzy are the feelings you get from your government wiping your A$$. There are too many things people take for granted, too many liberties and sovereign rights flushed down the toilet, in the name of progress and security.

I agree, drug testing is wrong. But, I also recognize the fact that if it is a choice a company makes as their company policy...who are you, as an individual, to question their right to do business? But no, the people once again choose to be irresponsible. You have no right to invade my privacy, your right.....and they have no obligation to hire you either.

Congratulations on your achievements!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
No more nanny state, PLEASE!
Most places, you have to "Prove innocence" not guilt, which is completely bas ackwards.

So, I go to Holland for a week and sample the totally legal substances.
I come home and upon "random drug testing" my employment for the rest of my life is in question.
My fellow "former co-workers" show up hung over every day, stoked on ritalin and prozac, among numerous others.
I think people should be allowed to think and do as they will, not be zombies addicted to a regulator.

There are places where you don't have to think or do anything for yourself----they are called "institutions for the mentally handicapped".

And if my second hand smoke offends you, move away, I'm getting tired of some righteous ninny running across the street to tell me how bad I am.
I usually just blow smoke in their face and wish them "happy cancer".

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

What reality are you speaking of????? That is how this country was founded and how it operated for generations. You still don't get it. Warm and fuzzy are the feelings you get from your government wiping your A$$. There are too many things people take for granted, too many liberties and sovereign rights flushed down the toilet, in the name of progress and security.

I agree, drug testing is wrong. But, I also recognize the fact that if it is a choice a company makes as their company policy...who are you, as an individual, to question their right to do business? But no, the people once again choose to be irresponsible. You have no right to invade my privacy, your right.....and they have no obligation to hire you either.

Congratulations on your achievements!!!!!!

Nobody is invading your privacy, or questioning your right to do business. I don't even know how you could trace a logical thread from what I posted, to that conclusion. I'm speaking about how we ought to treat people who come to work for us - they aren't property, they're human beings.

In terms of how this country was founded you're right. Exploitation of labor was instrumental to our becoming as powerful as we. That exploitation included slaves, sharecroppers, and waves of desperate immigrants. People fought and died for the workplace protections you enjoy today. Fighting for that kind of human decency, is what this country is all about - not the right to exploit people.

Wiping my a##? You don't know the first thing about me, and you're also crossing the line. I guess you overlooked the part about going back to school so I can be my own boss. Check yourself, and try to act like a civilized person.

I guess you truly don't get it when it comes to the fact that people are in fact NOT free to walk away from any job that treats them badly. Never have been, unless you consider their 'free' alternative to be starving to death on a sidewalk.

If you want somebody to come work for you, to help you make more money, in my opinion, you have a moral obligation to treat them with respect. Them working for you does not grant you the right to own their behaviors - that's called 'exploitation', once again.

And if you don't believe the role it played in our nation, go read a book about the labor movement. Or, if you don't believe it still plays a roll, go talk to the folks who are working 2 or three jobs to support a family they never get to see. Or to the workers in the sweat shops sewing your clothes for you.

You need to get an on the ground look into how people's lives are effected by these ideas you expound, in addition to an historical perspective.

You also need to stop talking to me like you're in the real world, and I'm not. That's arrogant, and obnoxious. But it's not surprising, coming from a person with so little regard for others, and such high regard for their own 'rights'.

Remember - legal, doesn't mean moral.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
The only upside of this drug testing would be...

Knowing from day one which of your coworkers were cool to hang out with after work.

So maybe this wouldn't be a bad idea, it could save you a great deal of time finding the 3 other pot heads in your office

Star for your comments, mopus!
Seriously, though, there's just something about people, who might or not might use a drug of choice that you might or not use. Heh. Trying to not violate standards here on ATS. but whether or not someone uses such substances, there's a likemindedness between two or more people and they will eventually be attracted to each other. Usually. Not always, though. I must say, though, that I have met some people who I would never have known they smoked pot. I hope i am not giving too much information here.

Meanwhile, to get back to the OP. In just three pages, comments have gone off on quite a few tangents, mine included. OP. To me, your opinion is just idiotic. Not saying you are an idiot at all. Just not well thought out, in my own opinion.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Whoa there friend.....the you was not intended to be "you", it was a generality. So please calm down....I know the history, I know the saga. My point is that Freedom is not easy, it's not cheap and the people are the ones in control. Public opinion of companies carry a lot of weight. There were boycotts and rallies against many immoral companies back in the day. And it usually turned the decisions of these companies around.
I never meant to sound like I was talking down to you or anyone for that matter, sometimes the emotions go on over-ride, sorry. And I did congratulate you on your accomplishments.

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoptics

Thanks for that.

I take everything personally. It's just how I am.

But, I try to stay open to being corrected, so I apologize if I was rude.

peace.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

Why don't you just get a new job if you are unhappy with your current one?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I Love having testing at my workplace......everytime they send me to give a sample of my pee (max 30 minutes in the clinic), I get paid 4 hours of overtime. Works for me! $$

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cannibalman

No, man, it's the fundamentalist Christian right Republicans that don't like cannabis and embrace the alcohol.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I'm an atheistic leftist Liberal and I hate cannabis.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Oh, but I totally don't care if other people use it. I just really hate it.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the OP to comment on his/her own thread, or did I miss it? That being said, I hate going to pee in a cup, I feel guilty everytime. And the person that does the testing is just the meanest person ever. I understand she has to recite the same old line a hundred times a day but goodness, she could at least be nice and make her/my day happier.

I have a HUGE issue with the government having one more right to invade my privacy. Just because you don't like drugs (nor do I) that is not grounds for the government to jump into everyone's persoanl lives! Are you insane?

You see, I lost my right to privacy for a year over something as stupid as grabbing/tearing my ex-boyfriends t-shirt after he pushed me into a closet. He has tears on his shirt, I had no bruises, off to jail I go. I got "diversion" not probation, which means my record will be expunged after a year. But for this miserable year, I have to pee in a cup at random. Even though drugs or alcohol was not involved in the charge. Also this "diversion" contract I signed says I waive my civil rights! Are you serious!! So while I do not do drugs, and am a "social" drinker, I have to live for a year constantly proving my innocense.

You are truly off the edge if you think more government in your life would make you happier than finding a differant job.

To you OP

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Well campers , back from work now , and what an interesting
response ,.
Personally I don't mind dope smokers , a pretty harmless bunch .
However speeders and coke heads do annoy me . If you're not one of them , you must be the enemy . They always seem to be waiting for you to turn around so they can drive that knife in .I just don't trust them.
I have actually worked for bosses that sell to the employees , and
expect you to join in . I leave as soon as I find out .
My main concern is the social cost of drug abuse , and it's impact
on safety standards in the workplace .
One interstate trucker I knew , woud drive10,000miles/ 15,000 kms./week
constantly on speed . He had all kinds of health problems , but could
not see them himself . A drug test may have saved his life , and the car
load of people he ran over . The employer never tested anybody , and
I think they were supplying him .
Once a problem like that is so obvious , I think the government is
negligent by ignoring it . It may be intrusive , but what price is a life ?

I agree that someone who smokes a reefer every two months , is no
danger to anyone , and should not be criminalised by a test .
... anyway , thanks for responding , it seems most people are against
government stepping into the workplace . Where I live , random ,
roadside tests are around , and I guess they are an effective deterrant .

[edit on 30-11-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I disagree. I find drug testing to be terribly invasive and feel violated by them. If you suspect drug use in an individual and it is affecting their ability to complete their work, or may cause harm to themself or others it is time for a good old fashioned talk followed by a firing if needed, the hell with asking everyone in the workplace for their pee!

I lost a damn good job because of workplace drug testing. Failed it, it showed I was using opium based drugs according to the test. I do not use opium based drugs. I later found out that my favorite salad dressing it what caused me to fail the test. Poppyseed dressing. I eat it every week. More than once a week. But because the company didn't have the balls to address those who were using drugs at work, they tested everyone, and I lost my job. Guess who passed it? The main 2 guys they suspected.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join