It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Educate to Innovate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Educate to Innovate

President Obama has launched an “Educate to Innovate” campaign to improve the participation and performance of America’s students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). This campaign will include efforts not only from the Federal Government but also from leading companies, foundations, non-profits, and science and engineering societies to work with young people across America to excel in science and math. - whitehouse.gov

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

Our educational system has selectively bred highly focused greedy bastards and thus the bankers, Wallstreeters and brokers have turned their fine tuned corrupted energies back on the system that spawned them. Mathematicians and scientists are largely held captive by government funding so as to give credibility to political agendas rather than be encouraged to seek and advance real world solutions. If you don't think so, consider how long solar panel technology has been around.

The "modern" solar cell has been around since 1946. Still, most households are lucky enough to have a solar powered calculator let alone a roof array capable of saving substantial energy costs. Why? Money. Alternative energy will remain prohibitively costly while there is so much more money to be milked from us through carbon based energy. Cap and trade will soon be enacted continuing the milking process. Less energy provided at higher cost. The good news is there are over 10,000 apps available for your iPhone. That's the system that's been built. Screw affordable energy, where can I find good sushi?

I urge you to view this latest "ad" from the current administration for government controlled education. In my opinion nothing has changed over decades, this guy is just a little slicker than most. A Billy Mays of Presidents. The last guy was more the "Sham Wow" guy. You will notice that the President first issues a shout out to all the currently innovative cronies on the payroll (shades of "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job), Sally Ride and then a "moon rock throwing cannon". I find this video funny in a gallows humor sort of way. The President talks of "future innovations and innovators". That must be the "Hope and Change" part we've heard so much about. We all thought sooner but no it will be later.

The President does not address today's innovations and innovators. Why is that? I think because that would equate to iPhone apps, Super Mario on Wii, scientists shilling for their funding and mathematicians funneling billions to their former college roommates while using TurboTax to file their 1040s. Our best and brightest. This is what passes for innovation in the here and now. We see daily evidence that the current innovations and innovators are not yet through bilking the remaining wealth from the nation. No sense in giving out awards to them until they’re done with the mugging, good call Mr. President.

And organizations representing teachers, scientists, mathematicians and engineers, joined by volunteers in the community are participating in a grass roots effort called “National Lab Day” to reach 10 million young people with hands-on learning. Students will launch rockets, construct miniature windmills and get their hands dirty. – President Obama

"Launch rockets"? A "moon rock throwing cannon"? What year is this? Like I said not much has changed over the decades. More billions into the educational black hole. Speaking of money into black holes, NASA reps were there in the audience, they can confirm my findings. While viewing the video, I urge you to make your own list of corporations that are clearly in the bag for government approval. These are the very same corporations that give you the iPhone apps, Wii, Windows Vista and cable television programming. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. How many lobbyists does the Lincoln bedroom sleep?

I think the educational aspect of this program and video is clear, tax you for the promise of innovation in the future. That's an old song. What do you think?

join