It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss voters favour minaret ban: exit polls

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
multi culturalism does not work it was a term invented by left wingers to facilitate their foolish desires and utopian dreams, unfortunately those left wingers left their learning establishments of the 60s/70s and became part of the national establishment and formulated policies based on this extreme utopian view

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
reply to post by blueorder

You can just picture them putting up a minaret on the lower newtownards road, Belfast, Bluey,
And the response from the local "hairy faces"
Are you a protestant Muslim or a catholic Muslim ??
LOL

ha ha yes, very good

Mind you, I think even the sight of a minarette would have a more "Unifying" effect on local people than any government policy

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
How many Muslim countries [Moderate or Not] do women have the right to vote?
I'm just curious.

Find out:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm guessing: more than you think.

edit.

Better source:

en.wikipedia.org...

A better question would be, how many Islamic countries are there where women don't get to vote and the answer is: just a few

[edit on 30-11-2009 by rhinoceros]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

How many Muslim countries [Moderate or Not] do women have the right to vote?
I'm just curious.

Find out:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm guessing: more than you think.

yeah, that last list, a vertiable list of enlightenment

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by McFlemish
do that in saudi arabia, or iran, who are funding most of the imans working here... look at the money

[edit on 29-11-2009 by McFlemish]

The extremist wahhabi and deobandi sects certainly do fund preaching abroad - here's what happens if you go undercover in one of their mosques:

Dispatches - Undercover Mosque

Google Video Link

The reporter “captures chilling sermons in which Saudi–trained preachers proclaim the supremacy of Islam, preach hatred for non–Muslims and for Muslims who do not follow their extreme beliefs — and predict a coming jihad. 'An army of Muslims will arise', announces one preacher. Another preacher said British Muslims must 'dismantle' British democracy — they must 'live like a state within a state' until they are 'strong enough to take over'”.

The investigation showed that universities in Saudi Arabia are recruiting young Muslims from western countries, training them in their extreme theology, and then sending them back to the west to spreads the word. And such Saudi–trained preachers were also promoted in books and DVDs on sale in religious centres, and in website broadcast sermons.

Viewers of the Channel 4 programme again and again saw and heard Muslim preachers declaiming hatred for, and violent action against non–Muslims, the imperative of the jihad to turn Britain into a Muslim State, the inferiority of women, and the demand for Sharia law to be introduced into Britain. Again and again listeners heard a word they had probably never heard before — Kuffaar, a term embracing Christians, Jews and members of other religions and persons who have no religion, indeed everyone who is not a Muslim. Kuffar's are dogs, they should be killed, they will go to hell.

www.population-growth-migration.info...

I'm sure not all muslims are dangerous, fanatical religious cultists driven by a backwards,violent,intolerant ideology advocating a global, theocratic dictatorship but after watching this documentary its safe to say that some are.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by bertand cantat
..makes me think, that it is not about minarets or muslims, but about fear and xenophobia.

Well, you can't realy blame the Swiss for the fear part - a police report form England stated that about half of UK mosques are now under extremist,hardline control:

Almost half of Britain’s mosques are under the control of a hardline Islamic sect whose leading preacher loathes Western values and has called on Muslims to “shed blood” for Allah, an investigation by The Times has found.

Riyadh ul Haq, who supports armed jihad and preaches contempt for Jews, Christians and Hindus, is in line to become the spiritual leader of the Deobandi sect in Britain. The ultra-conservative movement, which gave birth to the Taleban in Afghanistan, now runs more than 600 of Britain’s 1,350 mosques, according to a police report seen by The Times.

Seventeen of Britain’s 26 Islamic seminaries are run by Deobandis and they produce 80 per cent of home-trained Muslim clerics. Many had their studies funded by local education authority grants. The sect, which has significant representation on the Muslim Council of Britain, is at its strongest in the towns and cities of the Midlands and northern England.

Figures supplied to The Times by the Lancashire Council of Mosques reveal that 59 of the 75 mosques in five towns – Blackburn, Bolton, Preston, Oldham and Burnley – are Deobandi-run.

A commentator on religious radicalism in Pakistan, where Deobandis wield significant political influence, told The Times that “blind ignorance” on the part of the Government in Britain had allowed the Deobandis to become the dominant voice of Islam in Britain’s mosques.

Khaled Ahmed said:“The UK has been ruined by the puritanism of the Deobandis. You’ve allowed the takeover of the mosques. You can’t run multiculturalism like that, because that’s a way of destroying yourself. In Britain, the Deobandi message has become even more extreme than it is in Pakistan. It’s mind-boggling.”

www.timesonline.co.uk...

uhm, sorry, but i was talking about people without any minaret or muslim or anything vaguely non swiss, non white, non christian around them... so why are they afraid of muslims? maybe because they read articles like that (and worse), and believe them without any personal experience with the matter whatsoever. this is propaganda (it's the 'times'... *)

i live in an area with almost 40% muslims, close to a big mosque. and i know young muslim men, who regularly attend the ceremonies at the mosque. since i'm very interested in politics, i interrogated them several times abt the 'businesses' within the believers. but there's nothing to be scared abt...

inshallah,
bertrand

* ... and the times is def not politically 'neutral'...
btw, in switzerland there is only one(!) single newspaper publishing company... diversity of opinion? uhm...

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
btw, if it comes to the deobandis... i will ask a friend of mine, an independent jouno and university lecturer in lahore...

best,
bertrand

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Does anybody know if a Muslim Country would allow a Cathedral built?

Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Ethiopia, Turkey, Iraq. Even Hamas, in Gaza, threaten to execute any extremist attacking Christians. The Palestine Authority always attend the Christian service, at Bethlehem, on Christmas Day. Majority of the Cabinet is Muslim, but still attend the service.

Care me to add more examples?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Swordbeast

i think it shows just how out of touch mainstream politicians are with the people.. people are sick of having thier lives uprooted and changed by foriegners. in another 10 years you could prolly call america a spanish country or britain a muslim country. its invasion and destruction of the indigenous culture thru non-assimilation..

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
And so the anti - islamification has begun, Europe is slowly waking up, at last.

......and in the nick of time my friend.

Lets just hope that a political party with balls manages to gain power next year at the UK General Elections.

I along with countless others am sick and tired of see more mosques than churches in what is a Christian country

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
its invasion and destruction of the indigenous culture thru non-assimilation..

Well said. If muslims would learn how to assimilate then they would gain trust. Insisting on religious rights, head scarves, cartoon sensitivity, burning cars, threats... just aren't cutting it in the West.
Yay for Switzerland.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You don't NEED a huge fancy building to worship whatever God you believe in, As long as you THINK or are TOLD by your clergy you have to go to a building to worship them, you'll always have the " My Gods BIGGER than your God, and I'll build my house BIGGER than yours to prove my faith" nonsense.

God in whatever form only needs your love , he / she/ it doesn't need to have fancy buildings to house that love. Your soul is enough.

Fair play to the Swiss for not curtowing to the Islamic demands, but at the same time should have mentioned that the buildings they already have are sufficient already.
Islamification , what a made up BS word. Should be replaced with "understanding " or " Tolerance" on both sides of the argument.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Im fine with this as long as they ban all other structures from other religions going up. If not, I can see where the prob. is.

Perhaps Im not up-to-date, if I am wrong fill me in, thx

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bertand cantat

* ... and the times is def not politically 'neutral'...

not sure what you mean by this- The Times is the epitome of the liberal establishment- I read it every day and am no liberal but it is a stunningly liberal paper in the main- the leading article today was castigating the Swiss and in the foreign section it was their leading story- only one Commentator was afforded a section under this story, an Olive Kamm, his closing words were

"IT SHOULD BE SPEEDILY OVERTURNED"

you may wish to live in a land of minarets, the Swiss don't- nobody is being rolled to gas chambers and if Muslims feel they cannot follow their religion without a minaret above their roof then perhaps it is not the land for them

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

In Islam it is the law that worship takes place in a mosque. Not a choice. Do not confuse Western religious freedom for Islam which is government and 24/7 behavior.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Im fine with this as long as they ban all other structures from other religions going up. If not, I can see where the prob. is.

Perhaps Im not up-to-date, if I am wrong fill me in, thx

Yep, you're wrong... in the big picture. From Islam's point of view mosques are required above and beyond any law of any other country. Islam is center of the universe (according to them) and this will be a blow to the imams.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Ethiopia, Turkey, Iraq. Even Hamas, in Gaza, threaten to execute any extremist attacking Christians. The Palestine Authority always attend the Christian service, at Bethlehem, on Christmas Day. Majority of the Cabinet is Muslim, but still attend the service.

Care me to add more examples?

depends how you look at it, these were lands that were originally Christian before the Muslim menace came to dominate

- Iraq has seen muslim extremists unleasing their fury on Christians in a bout of cleansing, without the strict hand of a nutcase dictator such as Saddam to stop them (cheers GWB). Ethiopia is majority Christian for crying out loud
-

Lebanon used to be majority Christian, the Muslims came in, think also a sectarian civil war occurred (although there were other factors granted).

In Jordan the Christians were obviously there before the muslims, though their numbers are so diluted by the Muslim multipliers that they offer not real threat to the Islamic dominance *kudos to the establishment respecting Christian sites though*.

Turkey has had to indulge in the most severest form of nationalism and secularism to keep the political appetite of the islamists at bay with coups a plenty and those issues are still simmering

As for Hamas "The Hamas charter (or covenant), issued in 1988, calls for the eventual creation of an Islamic state in Palestine" good luck with building a new cathedral once those nutters are in total power

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
in another 10 years you could prolly call america a spanish country or britain a muslim country. its invasion and destruction of the indigenous culture thru non-assimilation..

Oh the irony. Destruction of the indigenous culture, isn't that exactly what Europeans did in America some 100s of years ago?

BTW when is the last time an Islamic country attacked a Christian one? Make no mistake, "we" are the bad guys..

[edit on 30-11-2009 by rhinoceros]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
After reading through this, many here are applying their non Swiss opinion to Switzerland. Why attack the Swiss for them wanting to keep their country Swiss?

Nobody is advocating that the growing Muslim population cannot worship. Just not change the look and feel of the endogenous country and populace.

This is simply a case IMO of the people choosing the direction their country is heading. Actually it is refreshing to see the people making choices for themselves even if it is a bit controversial.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Oh the irony. Destruction of the indigenous culture, isn't that exactly what Europeans did in America some 100s of years ago?

you see this sort of comment makes no sense.

Are you saying

* what happened 400 years ago is right
* so mass invasion now is right

or are you saying

* what happened 400 years ago was wrong
* but mass invasion now is right

None of us are responsible for something which happened centuries ago, we live now, and shape our own nation's destiny

[edit on 30-11-2009 by blueorder]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join