It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Path of the Sun in a Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It shows position of the Sun on the sky in the same time of a day during one year.

Source

I encourage projects like this. Like the one where they put a camera on a balloon. more people should participate in related projects. Could prove to provide some new insight and prospective to things never seen certain ways before.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
That's really neat, it forms an infinity symbol almost. cool stuff man.

line

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6965c3a96830.jpg[/atsimg]

Definately one of the most impressive photos I've ever seen.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wow, I love this! I would like to see this done with the moon as well, to see if it's trek makes a symbol like the sun does, for that matter it would be uber cool to see all the planets pictured like this. Super cool man, thanks for posting!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It looks like their is 34 photos taken and than superimposed over each other. Very cool.

I always thought it would be neat to do a time lapse photography of a child. Take a picture everyday for 1-5 years and than make a video or gif photo.

Thought that would be cool.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

On topic: Very cool photo.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

Great picture you posted. It is amazing how low the sun is here in washington state this time of the year. If only it could be a high noon day every day of the year.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple
reply to post by endisnighe

On topic: Very cool photo.

Yeah, that was kind of cool, but I was thinking more on the line of the more dramatic changes in a child.

Wow, someone taking a picture of themselves for six years. C'mon dude-cool-but hell, his life must be more boring than mine even.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Had to stop watching that dude's video of himself over six years. I swear I saw the Devil face like in the Excorsist flash up.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Very, very cool picture! I guess the middle one in the sun path is on June 21.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteblack

June 21st is on the upper-left. December 21st is on the lower right. March & September 21st are half-way between them.

Does this shape look familiar? It should; most globes have it drawn on the side. It's called the "analemma" and it shows what latitude the sun is over on each day of the year.

As the sun appears to move north & south in the sky according to the seasons, this defines to long-axis. Of course, it's actually the Earth that's moving around the Sun. If the Earth moved in a perfectly circular orbit (and thus at a constant speed), then the analemma would be a straight line. Instead, the Earth moves in an elliptical orbit and - as Kepler demonstrated 400 years ago - changes speed; faster when it is closer to the Sun (perihelion is in early January) and slower when it is further away (aphelion is six months later, in early July). Because the Earth rotates on its axis at a [reasonably] steady rate, but changes speed as it orbits the Sun, this means that the Sun is not exactly synched-up with the clock. Thus, sometimes the Sun is highest in the sky a little before noon, and sometimes a little bit after. That's why you get the little side-to-side motion that makes the analemma look like a figure-8, instead of a straight line.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery
reply to post by whiteblack

June 21st is on the upper-left. December 21st is on the lower right. March & September 21st are half-way between them.

That makes sense! Way cool.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Hmmm, quick response!

I was thinking, it would have been interesting if he started smoking crack 2-3 years into it...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
Had to stop watching that dude's video of himself over six years. I swear I saw the Devil face like in the Excorsist flash up.
lol me too, I swear i saw a black eyes somewhere in the middle of the video...

new topics

top topics

join