It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA invites you to "Be a Martian"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sounds interesting.

Haven't tried it yet but it might be fun for a while to pass the time.
Apologies if this had already been posted.

battleofearth.wordpress.com...

In collaboration with Microsoft, NASA has created the interactive Be a Martian website to allow online users to explore the Red Planet, Mars. The new web site allows users to participate as citizen scientists to improve Martian maps, take part in research tasks, and assist Mars science teams studying data about the planet. “We’re at a point in history where everyone can be an explorer,” Doug McCuistion, director of NASA’s Mars Exploration Program, said in a statement. Be a Martian offers games as well as access to hundreds of thousands of Mars images to web surfers eager to become Mars explorers. “With so much data coming back from Mars missions that are accessible by all, exploring Mars has become a shared human endeavor,” McCuistion said. “People worldwide can expand the specialized efforts of a few hundred Mars mission team members and make authentic contributions of their own,” he said. Further information about the project is available at Be a Martian website.

The Official Site:
beamartian.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 11/28/2009 by Zaydie]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaydie

I already saw this movie.
Start the reactor! It will create an atmosphere on Mars.
I want blue sky on Mars.
I also want a strong protective magnetic field for Mars to
protect me from the solar wind.
Install iron and nickel in the center of the planet.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It wants me to install Microsoft's Silverlight.

Is it worth it in the long run? For whatever reason, I've resisted
installing Silverlight up until now.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaydie

I gave up at that point. I downloaded Silverlight but it wouldn't install on Mac OSX at least not without an OS upgrade...and the last time I tried that it was "Kernel Panic" and a trip to the hell that is Apple.

Nasa obviously got a freebee of MS. The other thing about the site, is that it is dog slow and kept crashing...I'd be very wary as it looks like it was designed by the 5th grade. It'll probably be full of XSS by now.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaydie

You can install Silverlight, it's used on some sites and it's a small(ish) download.

It's somewhat like Flash, nothing special.

new topics

top topics

join