It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimbabwe registered MD-11 down in China; 3 dead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

It doesn`t happen often but it does happen. The usual screw up is loading it wrong without the tail jack installed so it ends up with the tail on the ground at parking.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Canada_EH

It doesn`t happen often but it does happen. The usual screw up is loading it wrong without the tail jack installed so it ends up with the tail on the ground at parking.
So Zaph I take it you mean something that ends up looking like this number?

KAL cargo blunder

This little "oops" moment happened on the cargo ramp (looks like about Bay 4) at Sydney International a few years back. There was an awful lot of finger pointing going on at the time as to who was to blame. In the end the KAL guys had to accept responsibility as they were directing the QF cargo people.

LEE.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by thebozeian]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thebozeian

I`m pretty sure I know the pic you are talking about, but your link isn`t working right.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Another pilot who witnessed the crash stated that the mains left the runway just before the end, but they never got higher than about 10 feet. Evidence on the ground supports this. Shortly after getting airborne the aircraft impacted antennas and approach lights, before hitting the ground.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Apparently it may of been a miscalculation/input of the ZFW ...

Also on the MD-11.... it originally did not meet requirements... however they increased MTOW by 15,000lb and added aerodynamic fixes over time. I think the later models ended up performing better than the original range specification, although it is unclear if that was partly from the extra fuel tank MD added.

You can see some of the fixes they did in these two photos:

www.airliners.net...

www.airliners.net...

Notice the extended flap hinge fairings & different no.2 inlet of ship 638. Some other improvements were improved slat seals, changes to the engine pylons, & repositioned windshield wipers from horizontal to vertical.

[edit on 10/12/2009 by C0bzz]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join