It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author: 'The Family' behind proposed Ugandan law that would execute HIV+ men

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

rawstory.com

By Stephen C. Webster

thefamilyjeffsharlet Author: The Family behind proposed Ugandan law that would execute HIV+ menThe African nation of Uganda is weighing a bill that would impose the death penalty on HIV positive men who have committed what it calls "aggravated homosexuality."

As if that were not shocking enough, a U.S. author is claiming that a secretive group of American politicians appear to be a driving force in seeing the proposal become law.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm truly at a loss for words. But I'll try and express my astonishment that actual men in power, men in the highest towers of power, want to influence a government in another country to kill its own citizens.

Haven't we learned what can happen when the US meddles in the affairs of other countries. Our young military people invariably die. I find this a cause to bring some very, very bad karma down on this nation.

rawstory.com

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

By saying aggravated homosexuality do they mean that these men knowingly had HIV and then went and had sex as with as many men as possible just to spread the disease?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

rawstory.com

By Stephen C. Webster

thefamilyjeffsharlet Author: The Family behind proposed Ugandan law that would execute HIV+ menThe African nation of Uganda is weighing a bill that would impose the death penalty on HIV positive men who have committed what it calls "aggravated homosexuality."

As if that were not shocking enough, a U.S. author is claiming that a secretive group of American politicians appear to be a driving force in seeing the proposal become law.

This is sick and horrible, I can't believe that these Ugandan officials are being this vain to think that it will only happen to men with HIV (like the family is a proponent for different races). They do this first and let it happen, making the people they want to kill to kill their own people because someone said god says so. Then later on they set up precedent and try to get people to get rid of blacks because of this. If you think it couldn't happen look at WWII with Germany and the Jews and just look at them wanting the Ugandans to kill men with HIV.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

A person commits aggravated homosexuality when the victim is a person with disability or below the age of 18, or when the offender is HIV-positive.

www.newvision.co.ug...

Wrong, yes. But not the business of US politicians by any means. Especially US politicians spouting religious inspired hypocrisy calling for people's death.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well, it certainly would solve certain problems wouldn't it?
And it would further the depopulation agenda.

As to being so astonishing and horrible......
is it any worse than spreading plagues as is currently happening?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Someone336

Well then if I understand your post correctly these guys are spreading HIV and they know they have it before they have sex. That is tantamount to murder, so I could see someone making a case for execution if this person is intentionally murdering people using HIV as a weapon.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

where can I send these people money? honestly, I think this is great, but should be expanded. basically, if you know you have HIV, if you're tested positive for HIV, you should be branded an HIV carrier. Yes, that's right, branded. social quarantine. Make it inconspicuous, but public knowledge, like a symbol on the inside of their left arm by their armpit or something. and if you knowingly and willingly infect someone with HIV, death, instant and on teh spot, no parole, no life imprisonment, no appeals, you are found guilty and you are taken out back and shot.

since we apparently can't trust them to keep it in their pants, they're runing around with the equivalent of a loaded gun (pardon teh pun) and should be dealt with accordingly.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If any of you actually care to read the article, the proposed law also imposes a three year jail sentence to anyone not reporting their neighbor for simply being homosexual. It also would impose a seven year sentence to anyone saying they support the rights of gays and lesbians.

All "The Family" needs to do now is give out actual cash rewards for the hides of anyone who does not fit their standards of sexual conformity...and yes, I'm being sarcastic but this is sick.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
Well then if I understand your post correctly these guys are spreading HIV and they know they have it before they have sex. That is tantamount to murder, so I could see someone making a case for execution if this person is intentionally murdering people using HIV as a weapon.

And what about the "poor victim"? It takes 2 to tango. So, if you get HIV from unprotected sex, there is NO ONE to blame but yourself.

Also, since H1N1 is deadlier and easier to catch, why aren't we killing people with swine flu too? How about tuberculosis? How about hepetitis? Cancer? Hell, let's just get rid of EVERYONE who has any kind of desease. That will cure us of our ills. [/sarcasm]

[edit on 28-11-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
What about the HIV positive men who are raping female babies because their religious leader told them it would cure them? Who gets executed then? The fool or the fool's leader who told him to do so?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
reply to post by whaaa

where can I send these people money? honestly, I think this is great, but should be expanded. basically, if you know you have HIV, if you're tested positive for HIV, you should be branded an HIV carrier. Yes, that's right, branded. social quarantine. Make it inconspicuous, but public knowledge, like a symbol on the inside of their left arm by their armpit or something. and if you knowingly and willingly infect someone with HIV, death, instant and on teh spot, no parole, no life imprisonment, no appeals, you are found guilty and you are taken out back and shot.

since we apparently can't trust them to keep it in their pants, they're runing around with the equivalent of a loaded gun (pardon teh pun) and should be dealt with accordingly.

Mein Fuhrer you have such a lovely idea, next we should go after and brand the Jews and then the Muslim and Negroes as well. Maybe instead of just branding them we can lock them up in concentration camps? Once we have them all in one spot people won't care if we just gas them all, saves us from having to build too many camps. You are a true visionary.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I figured I would post the actual law (from the OP) for the obviously several posters who didn't bother to read it.

Under current Ugandan law, homosexuality is a crime punishable by life in prison. The proposed law would not just condemn HIV positive gay men and "repeat offenders" to death, it would also jail for three years anyone who knows a gay man but refuses to report them to authorities. Further, anyone who defends in public the rights of gays and lesbians would be subjected to a seven year prison term.
from the OP

The part of this story that caught my eye was that it implies that the proposed law was being secretly supported by some politicians in Washington. Unfortunately the article does little more than point the finger at "The Family"

While that condemnation by a U.S. official would seem reflexive, others in U.S. political circles are providing financial and political support for the bill's sponsors, according to author Jeff Sharlet. Sharlet's book "The Family" is an investigative look at a secretive group of fundamentalist Christian lawmakers in Washington, D.C. In a recent interview with NPR's Terry Gross, he broke the news that The Family's influence in Uganda is rife.
from the OP

I was hoping that some names would be dropped, hoping at least for something more concrete than a mysterious group of Christian fundementalists in America being behind this.

One interesting point though, is that the article states that Canada and the U.K. are leading the international charge against the law, noticeably there is no mention of a statement from Washington. Could it be that there is a silent approval?

Now, the law itself, no matter where it comes from represents the backward way of thinking that exists in some of these 3rd world countries. Persecuting and exterminating people who are different. Sounds all to familiar. I'm not gay, but I have a couple gay friends so I think I'll be staying away from Uganda.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is who "the family" are.
en.wikipedia.org...(Christian_organization)

A wierd group that tries to take control of the republican party.

Also called the "Christian right" "the Christian Coalition" or Right Wing Christians.

Most of us mainstream Republicans would like to see this group break off and form there own party and leave us alone so that we could bring in a large number of the moderate democrats that don't want anything to do with these Christian wackos and don't like the wacko treehuggers and the union control of the democratic party.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Blend politics with religiously inspired ideas about condom use and homosexuality, stir in an "army" fighting for theocratic control, and you get politics and culture in Uganda.
Things must really be bad when Feingold and Brownback agree.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Just add this to the growing list of absurdities sprouting in Africa: the killing and dismembering of albinos to make good luck charms, rape a virgin to get rid of HIV, and now this.

Yes, the fact that influential American right wing religious fascists are behind this is equally disturbing. I suppose they think that they can start in Africa and gradually build up to converting America as well to these Nazi ideals.

We need names to see who in America is behind this. The WIKI article is a starting place, but it seems unsure of itself. I would not want to assume that everyone there named as being part of The Family would actually support this kind of legislation. We need more info to be sure.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

This is a Ugandan problem, not that of the American Christian Far Right. There is no reason for our involvement in this whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I've lived in Uganda. It's not surprising HIV is still prevalent given the propensity of the male population to sleep around - heterosexual/homosexual whatever. But hey - let's blame it on the gays!
As for religious influence, the country is full of American 'missionaries'. It's lead to an evangelical Christianity which may have had a role in bringing down the aids rate. Trouble is, the Presidents wife - herself a 'born again' - apparently wants to have a census of virgins! And it's suspected that these ridiculous 'missionaries' have been an influence in this latest proposal.
blog.newsweek.com...

[edit on 29-11-2009 by unicorn1]

[edit on 29-11-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Thanks for your post. From what I read, Uganda's ABC plan, Abstinence Be faithful (use) Condoms has been terrifically successful. Since "abstinence only" promotion doesn't work 100% either in Alaska or in Uganda, condom use was part of the plan. Unfortuneately, there's been a religious de-emphasis on condom use in Africa. And now, the fruits of a religious intolerance for homosexuality combines with HIV infection to serve up true death panels.

I don't see this mix of religion and politics waning soon in Africs, as popular evangelists such as Bishop Muthee, whose sermons reach even into tiny towns in Alaska, looking for support, see a combination of religious/political/economic power as the key to change.
"It is high time that we have top Christian businessmen, businesswomen, bankers, you know, who are men and women of integrity, running the economics of our nations." (from wikipedia on Multhee) Thus are born the mutually supportive alliances with The Family.

new topics

top topics

join