It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

User Generated Content. Where Is It? A Call To The Membership

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

The T&C governs membership behavior, not ownership behavior.

Really, some of you seem awfully confused. ATS is not a government and the T&C is not a constitution meant to limit its powers.

If the ownership's behavior really bothers you, take your consumption elsewhere.

When going out to eat, if I get bad service and bad food, I don't go back.

Same principle.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Good call.

*raises hand*

If anyone is interested in or debating whether or not they should start a cryptozoology or zoology/marine biology thread and aren't sure how to do so or where to start, please feel free to shoot me over a U2U and we will get you right on track.

I absolutely volunteer to help any member who is interested in making a thread related to cryptozoology or zoology and not sure what or how to do so.

Making threads is a great way to stretch your interests!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
But that's not right in thinking lurkers = more money from advertisers. When a site attracts many visitors who stick around for a brief time, the advertising revenue does go up.

But when a site explodes in visitors who stick around for long periods of time the ad revenue also explodes upwards because not only do you have the weight of the visitors or lurkers, but also the weight of a large membership that stick around for long periods of time, viewing all those ads, of course advertising revenue also explodes because they all want a piece of us.

The trick is to make people want to stick around, even those who have no vested interest. But how do you do that?

You design a site that allows for individuals to be acknowledged not only by the site membership, but outside news sites, like Digg, Reddit, or even CNN/FOX.

If the news reps come to the site to find out why the airport UFO is gaining so much attention, they will find the best informative posts RANKED by order of popular vote, instead of having to WADE through all of the replies that really don't add to the discussion.

What's better, a thread on the airport UFO that attracts say 1000 posts and then gets buried, or one where the best INFO and POSTS are ranked by order of popular vote and then saved in the system, where continuing visitors can readily access the threads and try to make whatever info they have to contribute rise towards the top, again by order of the popular membership vote.

I know about the ganging up postulation, but if members only had like 3 votes to use in any one particular thread, the sheer number of votes for or against would insure the best actually do rise to the top.

Anyone who greatly contributes quality threads or posts will get a reputation for bringing things to light, like happens on Youtube.

But if the management/ownership is happy with the current average income and status of ATS then please change nothing. At least we have a site that all us "crazy UFO'ers" can go to post about our beliefs.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This all reminds me of a small town I once lived in.

Everything was basically pretty peaceful and well ordered. The cops spent most of their waking hours saving cats caught in drain pipes. Then came a new factory that brought in new people and of course, revenue.

Almost immediately, the new arrivals began building houses and demanding certain changes in how things were done. One subdivision voted to disallow any kind of flag display... including the Stars and Stripes. Crime rose too, and the cops were now busy chasing down everything from poor drivers who had moved in from elsewhere to their parents who didn't think a thing about shooting the neighbor's dog because the didn't like the barking.

We sold our house and moved rather than try and explain that things were perfectly good before all the malcontents arrived and immediately expected us to change the color of the sky on their behalf.

Best.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hello all.

I'm very new here, as you can see to the left. I have several years logged on many boards over time, and so far, I think this one is pretty great. It's well designed, functions smoothly, covers all kinds of topics I'm interested in, and overall, despite the concern over people insulting each other, it's far more polite than most I have seen. Sure, folks give each other snarky flack, but it's nothing like the flaming or even stalking I've encountered elsewhere. So thanks to all you who make it possible.

Once I get the feel of the place, I'll be a contributor. I'm just trying to see how it works here first - get a feel for it first.

I've been following this discussion, and I'm having trouble figuring out just what exactly constitutes a quality thread. Often, a thread on most boards involves throwing up a link or a three, and a brief (or long winded) commentary. Is that what folks are looking for, or are you talking about something more?

Regarding threads about the same thing over and over again, such as 'why do people harsh on Christians...' I can not presume to have any idea what goes into being a mod here, but the first thing that pops into my head is simply shutting them down, with a pre-generated comment asking the user to use the search function to find the already existing older version...and the older thread that they can still open and use, would be the one of highest quality? Just a thought.

I feel for some of you who lament that posts you've put a lot of time and effort into are often passed by for threads that offer a quick fix for people. It certainly does make you want to try less hard, or not try at all. I've been there. Then you feel like it was all for nothing - so why do it again?

What if there were a separate section for 'dead horses', to which well tread topics were relegated, and consequences such as suspension were applied for not taking the time to look? Dunno. Maybe way to hard to make real. Just another thought.

Oh well. I have no true solution here. But I will in fact contribute in the future, once I figure out where my perspective fits here. Personally, I hate being the guy who brings up long dead issues.

The basic question again: What really constitutes a quality thread?

Thanks

-new guy

[edit on 28-11-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
One of the reasons I joined here was because of the T&C. I have no trouble with it at all. The idea of a site that promotes civil discussion and good behavior is fine with me. I do like to treat others even on discussion boards as I would in my daily life.

I'm new here just a few days. My first impressions were good ones. I'd like to keep that thought in spite of some of the "ATS is not what it was before" opinions on this thread. I have no idea what it was like before, but I like what I see know. Something to keep in mind when encouraging new members to post.

I have only posted one topic, based on current events. My first few will probably be not so remarkable, I expect that. Need to get a feel for thngs. The first topic I posted didn't get much response. I felt a bit discouraged until I started to check on other people's profiles and found that I'm not doing so bad after all. As the OP stated "It's all about the issues and the presentation, not who is presenting it." I'll agree with that for the most part. In life its the "sizzle" not the "steak" that sells. But I still think people are important to.

As far as point systems go, I'm not really interested in brownie points or stars per se. As an older person my priorities may be different to someone younger here. While recognition is nice, I think I'd rather have a few good responses and some intelligent discusion than a bunch of "you suck" responses or thread derailing put downs, hence my agreement for the T&C. I realize that there are those who live for points, stars and accolades. That's fine. I really don't see any problem with the system in place here already. A lot better than the typical forum you'll find elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This one is getting very good.. I was mildly shocked when I wasn't once again banned for posting what I truly believe would help ATS.

But what is really the crux of the matter is why are the old hands no longer posting quality threads?

Those of us who have been around long enough to know the veteran contributors are wondering why they no longer post as many great threads.

Perhaps they are running out of ideas, or perhaps it's because they feel they aren't being rewarded enough to put in so much time, I think it's proly more the latter than former.

But in answer to your question, the quality threads are those with great content that is able to be backed by facts and with good content such as photos, embedded videos, and concise write up.

This thread was lamenting the lack of those old hands who would contribute great threads every few days. Again, this is no longer the norm, and something is not right. The motivation to post those laborious threads just isn't there any longer. Take me for instance, I used to post at least 2-3 new threads per night, now the site is lucky if I post one every week or so. I no longer have the urge to put in the work, especially if the owner.mods delete my thoughts if they don't agree with their own ideals, which has happened a lot.

Still, it is a nice site to come to where the profanity is edited out, and the hoaxers are brought to light. Welcome to ATS, you will like it very much for a short time, then burn out after you see for yourself what should be addressed.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by skepticantiseptic]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
skeptic-

sounds like you miss some of these folks. sorry for your loss.

Here's another thought - recently, based on world events, I feel less and less like there is anything worth me saying. For a long while, I spent my board time on local newspaper sites, trying to spread the word about things like NWO related topic (take that term loosely). I got ridiculed regularly, but I felt like it was still the right thing to do - to try and warn people. I felt like, if enough people were clued in, maybe we could reignite a social resistance.

Recent events have stolen my thunder - dampened my flame. Even though our country is in the process of being actively robbed and dismantled, people still don't want to hear it. I feel like my days of trying to sound the alarm have passed, and those of us who tried, have failed. I no longer feel like there's anything I can do.

What I'm saying is, I think people in general are stunned and a bit numbed by what is happening all around us. We become like dears in headlights, waiting to be hit by the oncoming car.

Maybe I'm off. Maybe that's not what this site was about. But my observation of this site tells me that I and its greater membership are worried about many of the same things. And it's a lot more fun to talk about them when we think we're onto something, and it hasn't happened yet, than when with horror, it begins to happen.

We, as a 'community', are in a phase of transition. We are at the point where we need to transform from talkers and reporters, into actors. And personally, this terrifies me. I think the conversation trends towards the trivial when people are no longer able or willing to engage the topics...

I'll stop there to see if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
If the ownership's behavior really bothers you, take your consumption elsewhere.

Consumption? There are no "consumables" here. An oddly quaint expression to use.

The owner's behavior doesn't bother me at all....I fully expect an owner of an enterprise to consider themselves above rules.....it's done Wall Street so well in the past few years....

However, six moderators and two site adminstrators - all of which the membership is reminded, are "members" first - have whole-heartedly chimed in with unanimous support; apparently deciding the site's ethics can be set aside when the "boss" speaks.

I guarantee the site management will take this in the wrong way.....

Just to be clear....I'm not upset about anything - other than my personal bills and the health of my step-daughter - I don't give a hoot about the issue one way or the other....it boils down to a politician's grab for some cash. However, I think it's incredibly important to bring to light little things like this that make one say....wait..what? Regardless of the context.

Excuse the hell out of me for having spent some time actually thinking about something. I have this little problem of being forthright and clear.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueTruth

Originally posted by TrueTruth
The basic question again: What really constitutes a quality thread?

Welcome.

I think it means any genuinely honest attempt to communicate with the rest of us.

Others may feel differently, but I think any place that encourages THAT is pretty damn special.

It's why I stay here.

ATS' T&C make this place very different than all the rest. Sure, it's imperfect and it presents bumps along the way, but it enables even small voices to be heard.

To me, it's ALL QUALITY if those principles remain true here.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Originally posted by MrPenny
Consumption? There are no "consumables" here. An oddly quaint expression to use.

Why? And, sure there are... You consume the expressions of others....unless of course you only just come here to post without ever reading anything written by anyone else. Do you?

The owner's behavior doesn't bother me at all....I fully expect an owner of an enterprise to consider themselves above rules.....it's done Wall Street so well in the past few years....

Huh?

The folks on wall street held a fiduciary duty to their clients. What's ATS' duty to me? (Other than I demand to be consistently entertained.
)

Honestly, I really don't understand your point of view. This is just a message board. Really.

However, six moderators and two site adminstrators - all of which the membership is reminded, are "members" first - have whole-heartedly chimed in with unanimous support; apparently deciding the site's ethics can be set aside when the "boss" speaks.

I guarantee the site management will take this in the wrong way.....

Just to be clear....I'm not upset about anything - other than my personal bills and the health of my step-daughter - I don't give a hoot about the issue one way or the other....it boils down to a politician's grab for some cash. However, I think it's incredibly important to bring to light little things like this that make one say....wait..what? Regardless of the context.

Excuse the hell out of me for having spent some time actually thinking about something. I have this little problem of being forthright and clear.

Just quoting everything else in your post that I completely didn't understand.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Thanks for the wonderful reply, you will to fantastic here.

I agree with you on all points, and contrary to what some may say, if you compare this place to many others, you still didn't draw the short end of the stick.

Not yet anyway..

I look forward to your contributions and let me know if you need any help.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Yes I think that's partly right. The world has changed and it does seem that nothing we do will change it back to the way it was. But still I feel empty as far as the site is set up. Maybe that will change, who knows. Meantime, I'll tuck my tail and sign off...the real world awaits a fresh antisepticskeptic in the AM.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
You know, the OP might be on to something ...

Although to be fair, I've posted nonsense on both those threads, so I'm really part of the problem.

Sorry folks, I vow to do better.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
UGC, I see it all the time in various forums. As for quality...well not everyday. But then again, there was not one hit out the ballpark everyday in the past either.

We have quite a few more members now then, well before my time. Many of the 10K-14K that visit ATS per month do indeed start threads. Myself, not so much. But then again I do have criteria for when I do start a thread (mostly personal feeling/opinion on a subject or asking a question)

Posts, however, are more my forte. I do post quite a bit. Usually on a topic that interests me, something said that motivates a response. And I especially like to answer question type threads like this one.

Some of my replies are good, some are not so good and every once and a while I write an exceptional reply.

There was a poster that asked for reward/incentive for thread makers and they got the old Stars. Flags and Applause response. Long ago there used to be a feature called WATS (Way Above Top Secret). Every member was given three votes for any thread or reply that they considered to be overwhelmingly exceptional. Think of it as a member giving another member an Applause (without the points associated).

Now, at the end of the month the staff would go through the WATS votes and the winner had a badge added to their avatar that said WATS March 2006 (for example). Then came the flagging system. Only the thread starter would be eligible for WATS because voting was removed from members. A nice little thread about that system here And you can even read my feeling on the change on page 7

But it was this post that signaled the death knell for WATS. And while I can not find the final word on WATS, if I recall correctly awarding by member votes just was no longer feasible as ATS grew in size. So WATS went the way of so many other things of the past. And for a while posts that a member thought to be exceptional had the obligatory "You got a WATS from me (if I still had the button)" somewhere in the reply or in a U2U.

I hope this little history lesson shows one thing: ATS has always had crap threads that received far too much attention. It isn't really anything new or recent. Looking at the past with a nostalgic eye makes the present look cheap and superficial.

Quality UGC is alive and well on a number of forums such as Short Stories, Collaborative Writing, Survival, Member Debates, etc. But some will notice my profile lists me as a writer and not just a member. Thinking that difference makes me a brown-noser or elitist of some sort. Not at all. That change in status was from entering the Short Story With a Twist contest just recently. And the in Halloween Writing Contest (only my second one) I got an honorable mention, which was rather surprising because I didn't think it was all that great of a story, myself.

But it is like the OP and others have said. You get what you put into it. When I do start a thread, I am happy when I do get a response. Positive or negative. To me, it means someone read it and felt compelled to respond. Which when you think about it, that should be all the recognition anyone would want...to make a connection with others and see their opinion. But if SO wants to send me an ATS logo hat or pocket T-shirt, I'll wear it.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
You know, the OP might be on to something ...

Although to be fair, I've posted nonsense on both those threads, so I'm really part of the problem.

Sorry folks, I vow to do better.

Mate, that had me in absolute stitches. I was going to chime in with a comment or two but I'll need a day or threee to recover!

But welcome to the newer members above, you'll be welcomed by everyone, and we'll all just have to step up to the mark and produce good work like those who have chosen to leave the matrix!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Originally posted by kiwifoot

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Mate, that had me in absolute stitches. I was going to chime in with a comment or two but I'll need a day or threee to recover!

I've cried uncontrollably for the last five minutes!

That is the funniest damn thing I've seen all night!

reply to post by schrodingers dog

I once authored this thread: Ant Balls.

A profound subject I thought the ATS membership had a right to know!

[edit on 29-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I agree with the OP but I've got to be honest.

I've only come up with a handfull of decent threads in the last year. The other couple dozen were flops.

To tell the truth, I'm happy to have three or four quality threads out there and even happier that I've never felt the need to post multiple threads every day. I'm just not that prolific and most of my ideas for threads are just duplicates anyway.

I think that an effort to reduce he volume of threads we create that are superfluous along with an effort to focus on more thoughtful and quality threads would do us all a world of good here.

I think a quality goal would be much nicer than a quantity goal.

What if our stars and flags were divided into our threads and posts to get quality ratios ?

It might give people pause to think, "Is this my best work?"

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Originally posted by badgerprints
...The other couple dozen were flops...

Just because a thread doesn't receive interest, doesn't mean it's not a quality thread. Be careful of falling into that trap. There is no true relationship between 'popular' and 'quality'.

I've often felt some of my best threads received the least interest.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by badgerprints

Originally posted by badgerprints
...The other couple dozen were flops...

Just because a thread doesn't receive interest, doesn't mean it's not a quality thread. Be careful of falling into that trap. There is no true relationship between 'popular' and 'quality'.

I've often felt some of my best threads received the least interest.

Oh, I wasn't necessarily talking about interest.

I'm saying that after I looked back at them, I wasn't happy with them. I actually wonder why I ever even started a handfull of them.

" I've got a little ats sign that says "Was this thread really necessary?"

I do the same with posts. I'll write a page long post and then read it and delete the miserable thing.

Sometimes it isn't a contribution at all.

Sometimes it's just lame.

Sometimes it is a response to some sniggly little twit that needs a thump in the nose and I have to stop myself from rolling in the mud with them.

I use the delete button a lot.

That's the kind of restraint I mean when it comes to creating threads.(and posts)

[edit on 29-11-2009 by badgerprints]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join