It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More scareware from ads on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

that is great info. I will try that and see if I can duplicate an infection. It is sad that people like us will intentionally try to infect a system, but how else will you learn which rope to grab? thanks again.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
just as an FYI

i got the same Ad again - this time @ my work PC (uh oh
)

and it tried doing the virus thing all over again.

image can be viewed here

it was pdf.pdf from bradtz.net with the "cure my yellow teeth" ad

12/1/2009 @ 8:41 a.m. cst

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This just happened to me, first time I've had a problem like this here at ATS.

The popup said that I had selected pdf.pdf and the choice was OK or Cancel, before clicking either I copied the ad image and link.

Don't know if this helps but here are the image and the link.

www2.bobnilak.net...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bdf1359f0480.jpg[/atsimg]

Then my system froze up and had to force shut down.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I too got this. Some one tried to complain about it at around the same time I got it and a MOD removed the thread

Originally posted by Absum!
This happened to me at work last week.
It hijacked my computer completely;
our tech's had to work on it for two days.

Sounds like they are in the wrong field if we are talking about the same malware this thread is about. I fixed it in like 20min. It's called safemode.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Internet security 2010 got me about 2 weeks ago on 2 of my computers and I'm fairly sure it came from here. Now before I visit I make sure everything is updated. Malware 3 updates today and 2 for AVG so things are busy out there

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The fastest way to catch this is do a search of your hard drive for *.exe files that were placed there in the last week, search hidden and system folders. Most of the ones of these I've seen were called e.exe. Right click on the file pick properties and then pick the security tab. Change the securities to deny all on all users and reboot the machine. This change doesn't let the malware run at boot. After reboot, go to the file location and change the securities back and delete it. I've done it half a dozen times on different users machines.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I still get the scareware popping up every now and then, even with a popup blocker etc. Pretty annoying, I wish ATS could do something about this.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
no im saying its your fault because you run a antivirus program that is apparently crap and insufficient enough to stop ads. I never see ads and i never get pop ups do your research and protect your pc yourself

Huh?

i think you guys are picking this crap up elsewhere then putting the blame to ATS.

I guess it is whichever argument you feel you might be able to make at the time. 'It is not ATS. Oh, I never said it was not ATS, it is your AV software.'

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

Im sorry but you have no idea of anything on this subject my friend, so please save your stupid comments for someone else, i am a coder, web and graphics designer for over 8 years now so i am all aware of the risk of these programs and the ones that protect you from them so go back to AV-protection class and learn some more before you try to post like you know something

It also appears that, along with the above, you're an arrogant member of ATS. At least TRY and have some decorum and respect for your fellow ATS members inadequacies!

You sound like a child.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Sorry Prime..i always like to read your posts(still do..lol)..but.. i was running FireFox AND avast last week when Avast caught this same virus right here in the forums..3 times in one sitting..Yea, i was lucky because it was caught and quarantined and i have not seen it since...but i still happens..not saying it is ATS's fault.just saying it happen...BM

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
Avast caught this same virus right here in the forums..3 times in one sitting

It doesn't appear as though you used the Malware Complaint form to send us your Avast log so that we could find the source of the problem.

Why not?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Hi, S.O.

I wasn't able to report - here's why...

I got the virus (or a virus) while using a friend's computer.

(I had to use my laptop to burn a CD with Malwarebytes, than use it on the other computer to clear it)...

By the time I finished with that, it was obviously too late to report it as I had no idea which advert. it was attached too.

Perhaps there was more that I could have done to get the info. to ATS? Not sure what, though...

[edit on 20-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Somehow I have a feeling that the Malware Complaint forum isn't going to change a thing....These popups have been periodically annoying myself and others for over a year now.

NOT suggesting that you guys aren't doing a great job here, but I guess i'm just a little frustrated.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Well SO...to be honest, i didn't know we had one. now that i do i will use it in the future..my badd...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I was going to post a thread on scareware, but I searched and found that it has already been discussed here on ATS. According to this and many other articles that have just been released the scareware programs were sophisticated enough to get past many Anti-virus programs and even disable them.

"A scareware vendor distributed its goods one September weekend via The New York Times' website by inserting a single rogue advertisement. The hacker paid NYTimes.com to run the ad, which was disguised as one for the internet phone company Vonage. It contaminated PCs of an unknown number of readers, according to an account of the incident published in The New York Times."

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I've not had a problem myself (touch wood)

BUT - the attitude of a few members on here (the supposed professional web designers) who are talking to other members like children is a little disconcerting.

If this is your attitude to members who don't have as much knowledge on the subject and are genuinely concerned and asking for help, then remind me to never hire your services.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Why did it have to take you so long to help the OP and post the links? You first had to insult him & undermine his intelligence.
Just don't get some people...

I myself have not had that problem, and yes I do use firefox. The only thing I've had a problem with was pop up ads that give me no option to exit the add, other than to switch off my PC. I could not even close my browser or access my task manager...not even if I used the keyboard shortcuts.

But, it seems to be fixed now, haven't come across those in a while now.

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
and when did ats became a virus spreading ad's site?
thanks op for sharing,dont mind the haters,since i started using safari on my pc,some virus is tryng to attack me on facebook every 4 seconds. its "pop.mp3"
i guess i should send the file to some antivirus non-greedy lab.i havent launched it

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join