It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More scareware from ads on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
[macsheeple] For what it is worth, the only issue I've had since I joined is a few times I would click on a thread page and get a spam redirect ... I alerted it and it was taken care of, and it hasn't happened to me in over six months so I assume whichever third party ad provider was guilty either took care of the problem on their end or was dropped by ATS.

I have never experienced any malware of any kind emanating from this site ... but as noted, I am a [/macsheeple]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I had the exact same problem on my work computers and at home about two weeks ago. I was using firefox and win defender and super anti spyware but those did not help. I'm using avast now and it seems much better. It 100% came from ATS. Not blaming anyone just saying

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've been unable to find the ad causing this or any other problems.

We're close to signing a deal with a firm that proactively scans all our ads, including regionally-targeted ads, so as to find these problems before members/users do.

Sometimes errant ads are so deep into the rotation in ad networks, or are target to specific countries, that it's impossible to pin them down without professional assistance.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Also, for those not aware, there is a form to alert malware and viruses:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and the info you need to alert:

If you encounter what you believe to be malicious code on an ATS page or delivered by one of our advertising networks, please use this form to give us the details we need to troubleshoot the problem.

Please include a brief description of the kind of alert you received.

Paste the specific log or URL information from your malware-prevention software that includes IP or Internet domain of the potential attack (malware reports without this information typically cannot be investigated).

If you believe the potential malware came from an advertisement, please include either the URL of the ad or link to a screen shot (uploaded to our media portal).

When you help us by providing as much information as possible, we will do our best to identify the source, and have it removed from ATS as quickly as possible. Without this minimum information, there's very little we can do other than track the frequency of potential complaints.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
[..] Im sorry but you have no idea of anything on this subject my friend, so please save your stupid comments for someone else, i am a coder, web and graphics designer for over 8 years now so i am all aware of the risk of these programs and the ones that protect you from them so go back to AV-protection class and learn some more before you try to post like you know something

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
the problem is you dont know how to protect yourself, yes any ad can contain scripts on any website, that is not controlled by the website owners bc the ads vary. But if running the proper tools on your pc you will never see any of this is all im saying so flame all you want

My dear transformer, I too have been a coder, web & graphics designer for over 8 years - but I must say I'm appalled by the way you communicate with others. In a direct sense, you're right; the problem would not occur if they would take proper protection measures. However, let me show you very simply why this is not a correct 'end of the story'; I would tell them to use Linux and avoid wasting their resources on the endless struggle of antivirus vs virus. Of course you would not agree, because Linux would be inferior or something like that; and you would be perfectly in your right to disagree.

But as a coder, surely you can value the act of finding the root of the chain of events that brought the problem to life. Instead of installing an antivirus program on every ATS'ers computer(s) (thousands!), simply disabling the ads would solve it, for example. Of course this is not a viable option for ATS - but in order to solve this particular problem, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than simply insulting others' competence with computers. Let me repeat; you're quite right, but you're doing it nasty.

I'll see if I can reproduce the results .. this should be interesting!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
that flame was due to him sending me a private message regarding the way he handled it, it was justly worded so i feel fine by the way i stated it.

Linux yes but the majority of people most likely could not run it without prior knowledge of the OS.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

We're close to signing a deal with a firm that proactively scans all our ads, including regionally-targeted ads, so as to find these problems before members/users do.

I think they really are closer to ask for more for better security. After reading this thread, I can safely say that I have had problems from this site too. I had the dont press ok button or your laptop is finished too.....The one that asks you to buy a program to erase.
Anyway enough of my ranting.....Can someone tell me how I can have my account closed and deleted please....I dont feel safe here

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Sometimes errant ads are so deep into the rotation in ad networks, or are target to specific countries, that it's impossible to pin them down without professional assistance.

SkepticOverlord - i Do sincerely thank you for giving this enough credit to justify hiring a professional to seek it out.

It just proves that ATS truly does seek to deny ignorance, and not set around saying "its not my fault"

for those who have encountered this problem - get malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

It's free, and it REALLY works.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Simple solution, just don't let scripts into your confuser, in the first place.

p.s. i use Zone Alarm, Avast & ABP; potent combo to protect your confuser from malicious content delivered via invasive ads.

p.p.s. VIRUS DETECTION: Use crapCleaner, Defraggler, Malwarebytes, SpybotSD, Ad-Aware & Revo Uninstaller.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thank you for the complaint Snarf, it laid out more fully what the problem is. I remember this nasty bugger. It got on my machine from my kids using a P2P site and affected me everywhere I went on the Net. The solution to this is Combofix. Download and activate. Problem solved. Props to 12m8kall2c.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

excellent find intrepid! I am downloading it as we speak!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by intrepid

excellent find intrepid! I am downloading it as we speak!

Hey, I'm just the messenger. It was 12m8keall2c that did the leg work.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I have experienced this too lately, but had not made the connection to ATS.

Has someone figured out how to avoid this issue?

So far, a reboot seems to be the only way.

[edit]

I should have kept reading.... I'll do as suggested.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm still unable to locate any errant ads coming from our networks, using both a Mac and PC, and using a proxy to appear to be coming from the UK. Without specific information about which network is delivering the ad, there's not a lot we can do.

Our proactive ad scanning service will begin this week, and I fully anticipate they will find it.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I am sure these are just growing pains. It is very nice and refreshing to see one of the site owners take the time to let you know how the situation will be handled.

For the record, I run XP, AVG 8.5 free and malwarebytes. I only have to use combofix when I infect my laptop transferring files via memory stick from an infected PC on the bench. I have not found any ad related issues here. Other than having to look at geeks flexing their steroids.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I have not found any ad related issues here.

Myself also... which makes tracking down these problems a little difficult.

I have a PC laptop which only browses ATS (no email) and has no protection other than what is standard in XP and IE8... and after a couple months of using it every day on ATS, I've never encountered any of these problems... really.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
when I infect my laptop transferring files via memory stick from an infected PC on the bench.

On all USB memory devices....format the media, then immediately create a folder, name it autorun.inf and make sure it is "read only". Never, ever, delete it. Most worms, trojans, and malware that infect USB memory create an autorun file to take advantage of Windows default settings. However, they typically cannot overwrite an existing directory of the same name. Handy tip to protect from cross-infection.

I've never had a problem from ATS....some other forums yes....not here though. Fully updated and patched Windows XP and AVG 8.5. Please use the automatic update feature of your Windws PC.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by MrPenny]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord

I believe i have found the ad. And i was finally able to take a screen shot of the occurence.
I have not paid attention to the ads *Every* single time this has happneed from the beginning, but in recent past - basically since starting this thread - i have.

Every time i've noticed it - i have seen this ad:

You can view it at the top of this image

files.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
I believe i have found the ad.

I have corroborating information that the image you show may indeed be the errant ad, but I've completed another cycle through all available ads on all networks, and cannot find it.

I've used the image provided to alert all our ad networks, and have negated ads for teeth whitening offers in all networks... hopefully that provides a solution... but I'm not certain how quick the response will be on a Sunday evening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join