It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More scareware from ads on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I've read multiple complaints on ATS and the response is almost always "its not ATS"

Well, im not claiming it's ATS, im claiming it's an AD found occasionally on ATS - but i cannot isolate it.

This is the 5th time it's happened to me, and on the 3rd computer. My work PC, my home PC, and my home laptop.

It starts by automatically downloading and opening a file named pdf.pdf - this time it came from a domain "ectiver.net"

it executes a program "Advanced Virus Remover" - more information can be found HERE

This is a nasty little program. It totally disables your computer. You can't execute other programs. You cannot bring up your task manager, hell, it even prevents you from shutting your computer down (so i just pulled the plug, restarted)

It's faily simple to get rid of - but regardless of its ease - it's still remarkably annoying. Is there anything the administration of ATS can do about filtering out this sort of nonsense from its ad programming?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This happened to me at work last week.
It hijacked my computer completely;
our tech's had to work on it for two days.

If you accidently click on the OK button - Game over.

I no longer visit ATS while on lunch hour;
I stick to other sites that are less risky.

I am mad that ATS allows it to continue.

My boss was not amused.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

in my case there was no button "okay" to click

my downloads folder just popped up after i refreshed a post i was reading (waiting on a response) and WHAM

pdf.pdf unleashed hell.

I found that a program called "Malwarebytes" gets rid of it pretty easily.

Its free and very very trusted.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

My boss was not amused.

About the malware or about you being on ATS at work?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Absum!

My boss was not amused.

About the malware or about you being on ATS at work?

Now that was classic funny.

About the malware.
Surfing at lunch is not a problem.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
i think you guys are picking this crap up elsewhere then putting the blame to ATS. If you run firefox browser and Avast antivirus you will never have any sort of a issue like this, i have never had a alert or anything of the sort from ATS as far as im concerned this site is clean, i think the problem lies in user who have no idea of protecting themselves on the web.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
i think you guys are picking this crap up elsewhere then putting the blame to ATS. If you run firefox browser and Avast antivirus you will never have any sort of a issue like this, i have never had a alert or anything of the sort from ATS as far as im concerned this site is clean, i think the problem lies in user who have no idea of protecting themselves on the web.

yeah - you're right - i only surf ATS - it only happens occasionally when certain ads pop up on ATS - but im picking it up else where.

IT CANT BE ATS - because you say so. Im not saying the administration of ATS is doing it - i am saying that i think they need to ban certain ads from their ad programs. I gave all the information i could gather hoping it would help them track it down.

Just because it hasn't happened to YOU personally doesn't mean it has not happened.

If everyone applied that same narrow minded logic, then to billions of people -the holocaust never happened.

When i am on the internet - i am either checking my email (which is on a secure host provided by my work) or i am reading up on ATS

other than that, im playing modern warfare 2 on Xbox.

If im not doing any of those - then i am not on the the internet

also - it has happened to all 3 of my computers - i guess then you're saying that i'm just lying about it and intentionally downloading them to blame it on ATS?

Please. Take a hike. Im not blaming ATS. Im asking them to help make it stop.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
no im saying its your fault because you run a antivirus program that is apparently crap and insufficient enough to stop ads. I never see ads and i never get pop ups do your research and protect your pc yourself

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
the only problem i evr found that is from here is the auto load .
ever once in a wile theres an add that autoloads but just keeps doping it over and over untill it frezzes the pc .
its rarer and uslay fixed fast but i have never found avires type program here .
o about the old your pc is infected popup that guys right its not from here what it is is melware that auto lunches when u lunch ex .
get spybot search nad destroy and scan your pc you have a trogian
delitling the pc vires thing wont stop it from comming back u must get ride of the trogian to stop it.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
what are you 10yrs old comparing my post about your issues of not protecting your own pc from ads with the holocaust what a joke. Have fun with your malware bye

[edit on 28-11-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

no im saying its your fault because you run a antivirus program that is apparently crap and insufficient enough to stop ads. I never see ads and i never get pop ups do your research and protect your pc yourself

I have done my research.

www.bit-tech.net... viruses spread through banner ads

happens all the time.

I run symatech anti virus, windows anti virus, and windows defender.

Brown nosing and saying ATS is innocent is highly inappropriate since im not saying that it's their fault. So seriously - grow up.

What i am saying is that it's happening on ads found on their website - perhaps they'd like to know, and perhaps they'd like to fix it

But i wouldn't expect you to think that far into it.
Thank Christ for the ignore button.

I always hated transformers anyways.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

I have done my research.

www.bit-tech.net...
viruses spread through banner ads

happens all the time.

I run symatech anti virus, windows anti virus, and windows defender.

Brown nosing and saying ATS is innocent is highly inappropriate since im not saying that it's their fault. So seriously - grow up.

What i am saying is that it's happening on ads found on their website - perhaps they'd like to know, and perhaps they'd like to fix it

But i wouldn't expect you to think that far into it.

apparently not enough because all 3 programs are junk. Nortons itself is a virus to your pc, self attaching itself to virtually every file on your pc not allowing you to get rid of it all if you decide too. Im sorry but you have no idea of anything on this subject my friend, so please save your stupid comments for someone else, i am a coder, web and graphics designer for over 8 years now so i am all aware of the risk of these programs and the ones that protect you from them so go back to AV-protection class and learn some more before you try to post like you know something

[edit on 28-11-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If it helps at all, this is the very same one that attacked me. I was using Firefox, so forget that. Good for you guys, you at least managed to catch what it was called and where it came from. I posted about this a little while ago and then never noticed if anyone had the same problem. This is absolutely the only site that I have had this happen on. I love this site but I don't love something like that happening. As I posted before, when it happened I was on my Telus internet connection which has active antivirus and anti spyware running. I also had Spybots active teatimer running updated and I had all popups blocked on Firefox except for the cookies I have to allow to view this site. I really hope someone can get to the bottom of this because it would be a real shame to see this site listed as an attack site. Now that would be a conspiracy by the PTB.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
the problem is you dont know how to protect yourself, yes any ad can contain scripts on any website, that is not controlled by the website owners bc the ads vary. But if running the proper tools on your pc you will never see any of this is all im saying so flame all you want

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It starts by automatically downloading and opening a file named pdf.pdf - this time it came from a domain "ectiver.net"

it executes a program "Advanced Virus Remover" - more information can be found HERE

Yup that's the one.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
FIREFOX

Avast Anti-Virus

problems solved

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
already we have other people saying they've experienced the exact same thing.

The one common link we all share is our subscriptions to ATS.

It'd be kind of... well...stupid of someone to put their foot down and say that there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that this could have come from an Ad that happens to appear on an ATS website.

Stop sensationalizing the conversation by claiming we are BLAMING ats. Have more respect for yourself than that.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Apparently my post didn't make any sense. It doesn't seem to matter how polite or helpful you are. There is always someone who is an expert on someone elses problem who has never experienced the same problem themselves. It wouldn't have mattered if I had said I was using Firefox and Avast. I would still be ignored. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't insure that it won't. I will just keep my mouth shut from now on.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by michial

. I was using Firefox, so forget that.

me too, my son supposedly has my PC updated with the best protection, it still manages to sneak through.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If I may make a suggestion:
use Malwarebytes, best thing I ever added to my PC

www.malwarebytes.org...

thru CNET, with reviews
download.cnet.com...

AV's don't pick up everything. I've had no problems with any sites delivering bugs or any other bad thing since adding MalwareBytes. (also running AVIRA free)

EDIT: clarity, spelling

[edit on Sat Nov 28 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join