It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Orbiter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here is an article on a planned 'station' at sea called a Sea Orbiter:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It looks more like the Starship Enterprise sinking in the sea - but this huge vertical vessel could be the future of ocean exploration.
Called the SeaOrbiter, the huge 51m (167ft) structure is set to be the world's first vertical ship allowing man a revolutionary view of life below the surface.
Although currently only a prototype its inventor Jacques Rougerie thinks his international oceanographic station will soon be setting sail.

Pictures of how the Sea Orbiter may look:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb5ccfe0227a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6e35c26c5873.jpg[/atsimg]

Mr Rougerie wants the ship to be a space station for the sea giving scientists an insight into the little-known world under the sea.
'At the moment, they [oceanographers] can dive only for short periods before they have to be brought back to the surface. It is as though they were taken to study the Amazon jungle and then helicoptered away again after an hour,' Mr Rougerie told The Times.
“SeaOrbiter will provide a permanent mobile presence with a window to what is under the surface of the sea.”

Pictures and quotes are from the Daily Mail article, which I haven't quoted in full.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by berenike]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Where do we sign up! Looks very interresting, thanks for bringing that up. It reminds me of a thing I read about the first automated underwater research station that is to be installed of Vancouver, Project Neptune.

I'm still not sure if it is a good thing, sure the new knowledge we will gain will be huge but when I look at how we are treating the planet above water, I'm not sure it is good if we explore for new ressource underwater.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
what a crazy cool design. must have been inspired by icebergs

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

There are articles on the internet from a few years ago, but I've never heard of this before, so I was hoping it would be news to other people too.

Related articles:

scienceniche.com...

www.articlesextra.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
From the article:

"The architect, whose home and office are houseboats, wants to launch half a dozen of the vessels.
At the moment he says he has half the €35 million (£32 million) that it will cost to build the first one, and is confident of finding the rest."

Honestly something like this will cost more that 35 millions Euros to have built especially since it's the first one of it's kind. This is a cool looking thing with and even cooler idea but I don't think well ever see it built.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Taking FLIP into the 21st century.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

THIS IS SO COOL! Now I am 10X more excited for a Sea Orbiter like craft to be built.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Very nice!

But. I have one possible criticism for the designer:

A vehicle like this, intended for extened automous opertations (FLIP, as previously refenced requires a another ship to tow it) really should have a helicopter landing pad as part of its integral design. For emergency evac of sick/injured crew, if nothing else.

I do not see where the designer of Sea Orbiter has made an allowance for any type of "heli-pad".

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I found this diagram which lists some features of the Sea Orbiter:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33945619021d.gif[/atsimg]

Phage Thank you for the video of FLIP - it was worth starting this thread just to see that. Really impressive, especially when nothing spilt as the 'flip' got under way.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

No bar? No movie theater?
How about the bowling alley?

The helipad really is missing though.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree about the heli-pad BUT as it hasn't been built yet it's not too late to get in touch with M. Rougerie and suggest it.

Maybe we can all win a prize.

PS - if we're all having requests I want to put in for a computer games room. And a hot tub.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is an awesome concept! Thanks for sharing. And I think I'll only ride if they add that bowling alley

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
here's vid for your viewing pleasure

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
heli pad would only be practical on a much bigger ship and only if within few hundred nautical miles of land or rescue ship.

top topics

join