It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 E. African albinos in hiding after killings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

10,000 E. African albinos in hiding after killings

news.yahoo.com

NAIROBI, Kenya – The mistaken belief that albino body parts have magical powers has driven thousands of Africa's albinos into hiding, fearful of losing their lives and limbs to unscrupulous dealers who can make up to $75,000 selling a complete dismembered set.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Since 2007, 44 albinos have been killed in Tanzania and 14 others have been slain in Burundi, sparking widespread fear among albinos in East Africa.

At least 10,000 have been displaced or gone into hiding since the killings began, according to a report released this week by the International Federation for the Red Cross and Crescent societies.

East Africa's latest albino murder happened in Tanzania's Mwanza region in late October, when albino hunters beheaded 10-year-old Gasper Elikana and chopped off his leg, the report said. The killing left Elikana's father, who tried to defend his son, seriously injured.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Sick, sick people out there.
I would say that these beliefs have to stop, but you and I both know they won't.

Poor albinos.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
10.000 Albinos?
Wow

I never knew one society had that many?
My prayers are for them and their families.

I'm still kind of in shock over the figure of 10.000

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
sheesh.. no wonder our ancestors left Africa to colonize the rest of the planet.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Amazing story if true, but certainly is not isolated.

I never knew that so many albinos where in such a small community, and the net bringing these things to light certainly shows us some of the things in humans never go away.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well I must say I knew this happened in bygone years but I didn't know it was still going on in the modern era

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The report says the body parts are sold as good luck talismans.

No. I didn't even believe the "rabbit's foot" thing that was popular when I was a kid. I always thought that was kind of creepy.

This is just beyond words. If I went to do business with someone and for luck he brought down a human arm he had sitting on his shelf; well then, would I say "Hmm. Smart man!" or would I turn around and walk right back out the door?

I'd probably damn run.

I'm beginning to think the witchdoctors in Tanzania who spread these ideas are no better than the American style evangelists who come up with nearly as wacky ideas as well. Its all religion's fault again.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
They also eat the body parts, as they believe the spirits of the person who had the body will come into them, and give them powers.

This is probably alot more widespread than we think.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

A BBC report on the practice in Tanzania .

Quite simply barbaric.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Kill an Albino to get rich... rape a virgin to cure yourself of aids.

Africa should be bordered off like the Amazon.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

For anyone talking about christianity, you people should watch this. Christianity has brought something to the world, none of you can conceive.

Not one person that talks about christian beliefs, understands whats it like to live in a society where the pagan beliefs are the main religion.

People like bill maher should watch this vid, and see what a great religion christianity is and how it changed society and the world, for the better. Euorpe used to go after red haired people and call them witches, and now you see this.

Like i said so many times, anyone speaking out against christianity has no idea of what the world would of been like without it, and we would never of got where we are today. It may not be perfect, but isn't it better than what they have in africa and india.

[edit on 11/28/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I understand your point, but this is off-topic. Please keep to the OP, which is not about Christianity.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
It may not be perfect, but isn't it better than what they have in africa and india.

[edit on 11/28/2009 by andy1033]

What they have in Africa is an AIDS epidemic .

Christian Leaders .....

Jerry Falwell

“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

link

Pope Benedict

"The traditional teaching of the church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids."

link

I`m sure a case can be made for the role witch doctors play in the lives of their communities also . No doubt when they are not preparing dismembered bodily parts , they provide some spiritual function for the community.

Each adhering to their particular dogma , with barbaric consequences .

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Just another disturbing story from that continent. What a hell on earth that place seems to be.

Aside from the 10,000 number being a surprise, so was this:

Almost 90 percent of albinos living in the region were raised by single mothers, Mwaura said, because the fathers believed their wives were having affairs with white men.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
ecoworldly.com...

According to the above article there are roughly 160,000 albinos in East Africa and 270,000 in Tanzania. Never new there were so many.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have 3 albino mice; 1 gave birth to 11 but ended up eating 4...this was so that she could insure the survival of the fitest, not for luck. Why must
we be so greedy as a species that we don't utilyze reason...somethings need to change, but how can/should the changes be implimented? Can
the populace over there be educated somehow...why don't those who are aware of this and who are also capable of implimenting change do so? I
believe this is the greater atrocity...allowing this to continue when it could be prevented somehow...we put men in space didn't we?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
sheesh.. no wonder our ancestors left Africa to colonize the rest of the planet.

I've read books in odd bookstores which claimed this was exactly what happened.

Is it true? Dunno... but looking at this makes me thing it's plausible.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

During recorded history, massive human migrations have occurred because one group of people was forced to leave the "mother land" because they faced some sort of economic, political, social, or military pressure. For example, large numbers of "misfits" from England like persecuted religious minorities and convicts moved to North America during the 17th and 18th centuries.

It would then follow that in prehistory, human populations left the comfort of the motherland because they faced some sort of pressure. That pressure could be purely natural. For example, a starving group of hunter gathereres could have left Africa while pursuing game.

That pressue could have also have been man-made. Perhaps many of the peoples that first left Africa were bands of hunter-gatherers that were forced out of Africa by other bands of hunter-gatherers.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Does anybody know if it is just albinos that are prized? Would these people attack a white person if they saw one? Maybe I can make some money selling blonde hair clippings.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join