It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultrasonic Levitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I did a quick search, and i did not see this video posted. if it was - oops.

This is a video i came across today. They used Ultrasonic sound waves to levitate water. I thought this was pretty cool, and i thought id share since sound vibration, or any vibration has its influence on matter.

Enjoy!

[edit on 11/28/2009 by ugie1028]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I saw a thread somewhere about the Tibetan monks (I think) levitating rocks with sounds from drums and other things. There are a few articles about it in the web.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Elieser

that wouldnt be surprising if it was real. just watching that video, and you can levitate water with sound. imagine what else you could do with sound that we have not tried yet.

maybe thats how the pyramids were built!

Just speculating..

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It sounds (get it?) simple enough.

As a result of multiple reflections between an ultrasonic radiator and a solid, flat or concave reflector - which is adjusted concentrically at a distance of some multiple half wavelengths - a standing wave with equally spaced nodes and antinodes of the sound pressure and velocity amplitude will be generated (see Figure 2-1). Solid or liquid samples with effective diameters of less than half a wavelength will be levitated without contact below the pressure nodes as a result of axial r adiation pressure and radial Bernoulli stress. Minimal acoustic power is required for this levitation, when the sound wavelength is about three times the sample d iameter (see Table 2-1).

Ultrasonic Levitator Manual

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks phage!

wow, just a little bit of energy is required for something like this.

is it possible to manipulate sounds to levitate other forms of matter?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Sure.
What that excerpt is saying is that the size of the object being levitated is limited by the frequency used. Apparently, to levitate something as large as a golf ball the frequency used would be around the highest C on a piano but it would have to be very, very loud to generate enough acoustic pressure.

Not exactly a small amount of energy. What it means is a 3/1 ratio between the size of the object and the wavelength is optimal, requiring the least amount of energy. To levitate a water drop 2.4mm in diameter still requires 156dB. About as loud as a jet engine 30 meters away (if you could hear it, but being ultrasound you can't).

[edit on 11/28/2009 by Phage]

new topics

top topics

join