It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA goes hiring in heart of Arab America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

CIA goes hiring in heart of Arab America

www.reuters.com

DEARBORN, Michigan (Reuters) - At Tuhama's Lebanese deli in Dearborn, and at bakeries and barbershops throughout town, it's no secret the CIA is looking for a few good spies.

"There is a lot of talk, and nobody likes it," said Hamze Chehade, a 48-year-old Lebanese-American, taking a bite of his chicken shawarma.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com
www.publicbroadcasting.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Homeland Security Appoints Devout Muslims

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So here's some "stimulus" jobs for Michigan. Many people in Dearborn while they are Arab, they are Chaldean, which means that they are Christian. Which probably will make people feel a little safer working around these people.

I work with a lot of these people, they are decent people. I think that it's an important resource that our military and intelligence services need to tap into.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

these people, they are decent people.

But they are not your people right?

That is where all of humanity's problems begin.

"These people", "those people",... means that they are somehow different and as long as any human other than yourself is seen as different for whatever reasons the human race is doomed.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

But they are not your people right?

That is where all of humanity's problems begin.

"These people", "those people",... means that they are somehow different and as long as any human other than yourself is seen as different for whatever reasons the human race is doomed.

Ok, you learn Arabic and join the CIA then. Otherwise you need native speakers. I am not a native speaker of Arabic. Which makes them those people, those people that can speak Arabic.

I know guys that speak 5 or more languages, if you want to go with the native area lexicon these are my peoples as if I said "This is my boy!"

Are they American? Yes. Ask them what they are, they will tell you they are either Chaldean, or Lebanese or Iraqi or some other self designated qualifier. So it's quite appropriate for me to say "these people" because it is "these people" that are the topic of conversation, it is "these people" that are qualified for the job at hand.

Self designated qualifiers aren't my problem. Should I be so politically correct as to deny these people their self identity and group them into a culture they themselves don't want to qualify themselves with?

Ask anyone on the street, "what are you?" and you will get a multitude of answers that few will be American.

But as far as this issue is concerned, perhaps a native speaker of Arabic would be more qualified to be a translator than a native born American who has to learn Arabic.

So in that case, YES, "they" are the qualifier and "these people" are the politically correct term to use.

So what is your point?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

So what is your point?

If you can't see my point then there is nothing more I can do to show it to you.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

If you can't see my point then there is nothing more I can do to show it to you.

You could try, I feel that I explained myself quite adequately, but your position is still unclear. I am not sure if your trying to say that I was making some sort of BS racial remark when I said these people.

Or perhaps you could try and actually comment on the subject instead of the ethnic qualifiers indicated in the article itself. Maybe instead of some snarky remark about "these people" which frankly I find insulting and pedantic.

So yes, what is your point?

new topics

top topics

join