It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LIFE: What is your definition?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer.

There are a great number of questions about where we might find life but I think we need to decide what life is before trying to find it.

I would say life is a system that:
- Reverses entropy with respect to itself for some period of time
- Increases entropy in the universe in total (converts energy)
- Stores and passes on information
- Reproduces

What are your views on what features are required of a system for it to be considered as 'life'?

What is wrong with my definition?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Hi LightFantastic

I think that pretty much sums it up physically and metaphysically. Simply put. Its logical to look at life in terms of current & energy transference.

Examination of the qualities & values within each state basically, is what we are all doing here or what drives us and what creates the questions & leaves the answers uncertain, within us, on ATS and in general.

Theres nothing 'wrong' with your definition its simple, general and thus subjective.

Perception is everything and there are a number of perceptions to every situation.

Its like a circle isnt it?

Have the best day
themuse

pssI had a crack at drunk post editing but Im unsure if I save dit and if I ruined my post. I look forawrd to my laugh tomore morethan the hedche im sure ill have.
[edit on 28/11/2009 by themuse]

[edit on 28/11/2009 by themuse]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm not sure how I would define life. Although I'd find it very bland without the miracle of Cannabis

NOTE: I'm talking about legal medical Cannabis... So dont report me

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Life is confined in systems.
Life lives to die.
Life seeks to live better.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
LIFE:

(L) Living as
(I) If
(F) Finally
(E) Evolved

Meaning: I am living like a modern, civilized Human Being, not a sub-level human just aimlessly going through life without purpose.

Just one definition. (I can think of 100's)

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost in the Machine
I'm not sure how I would define life. Although I'd find it very bland without the miracle of Cannabis

NOTE: I'm talking about legal medical Cannabis... So dont report me

Lol I have read of how the US system treats medical cannabis users. It is very strange.

I still can't work out an appropriate reason why it is illegal, especially for medical users. I can buy much more potent drugs legally but not cannabis which doesn't even have a real LD50. Even water has a LD50.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Life is a never ending cycle like a Hula Hoop going round and round and you die

in a physical biological body on one plane but live forever in the spiritual body I

call the soul in another plane or dimension. ^Y^

new topics

top topics

join