It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Tries New Tack Against Taliban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

U.S. Tries New Tack Against Taliban

www.foxnews.com

The U.S.-led coalition and the Afghan government are launching an initiative to persuade Taliban insurgents to lay down their weapons, offering jobs and protection to the militants who choose to abandon their fight.

While President Hamid Karzai's government has been trying to woo these insurgents for years, the new program marks the first time that the U.S.-led North Atlantic Treaty Organization forces are systematically reaching out to Taliban fighters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US to pay Taliban to switch sides

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Pay them more than the Taliban they are working for! Why wouldn't that work? They are only fighting for money!

"Western officials behind the new reconciliation program say they believe the majority of insurgents are fighting for money — the Taliban often pay their members — or personal grievances. Luring such men from the battlefield is a central component of America's new counterinsurgency strategy crafted by U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top allied commander here."

"It is an issue of dialogue — we need to establish respect, even if they are the enemy," said Graeme Lamb, a retired British general who spearheaded a similar effort to turn Sunni insurgents in Iraq, and who oversees the campaign out of NATO headquarters in Kabul.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
haha LMAO! The US is looking like a pathetic beat down dog lately. The great war machine is begging the enemy to lay down their arms? My god what has this country become? Someone needs to remind these fools the war is as much a religious jihad (war) as anything. They will not just "lay down" their weapons. If anything it will inspire them to rise up as they realize they are winning.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Im glad I am not the only one who sees this as pathetic.
Everytime I hear the phrase "We Do Not Negotiate With Terrorists" on T.V now, I am just going to laugh.

"hey bro, I really dont like when you shoot at ourpeople,so heres a deal, I will give you 10 bucks in return for your battle rifle, how does that sound?".......BANG! Allah Akbar~!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
The great war machine is begging the enemy to lay down their arms? My god what has this country become?

This is not a war. It is a subjugation. You are not fighting enemy soldiers, rather a civilian population who wants invaders OUT. As they should, and so would you. Glad to see this 'war' adopting a slightly more enlightened tactic.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The U.S. government is doing this because there is talk of pulling out of the region from sources in the military command despite Obama willing to send in more troops which he will announce sometime this week. If this works the U.S. could claim some form of victory and begin to pull out of the region. The U.S. does NOT want to leave in the same way Soviet troops did in the 1980's. Many U.S. Commanders have been silently telling Obama they need to pull out of the region for a variety of reasons but primarily the fact that U.S. forces are running tired and thin. Not to mention that if anything anywhere else in the world or in the U.S. happens, there is few contingencys and planning along with limited resources for a good response. One military General told Obama that the time is right for a terrorist attack inside the U.S. and with much of the military being deployed, a response if needed would be delayed severly.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Pay them more than the Taliban they are working for! Why wouldn't that work? They are only fighting for money!

If it was that easy to leave the Taliban they would have done it already, money will not help. There are generally two types of taliban, those who fight because they believe in it, and those who are forced to out of fear. The ones who believe in the cause wont leave for money, and the ones who are forced, well they clearly already want to leave, the offer of better or indeed any pay at all wont make that any easier for them.

I think this will have very limited success.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This is a tactic i would employ without a thought,
Better still after thorough vetting offer them citizenship in their desired destination plus employment and resettlement package, as given to other professional soldiers, thus saving lives and face for all involved .... IMO

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
A thing about true Taliban is that money is not worth anything to them. In 98 i gave a Taliban a 50 US dollar bill for helping me. Do you know what he did. He took it and looked at it. Then he threw it away.

A thing a lot of western people dont understand is that. In Afghanistan money is only worth something if you live in cities. In the mountains you have to trade item for another item or a hand for a hand.

You dont even have to travel to Afghanistan to see that money is of no interest to people. In the mountains of Morocco i encountered the same thing. Paper money had no value. Only usable items had a value.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Education and economic opportunity will go a long way towards easing the socioeconomic conditions that lead to wars of principles.

Conversely I am sure there would less U.S. Soldiers fighting if there were more economic opportunities presently in the U.S.

Interestingly enough jobs aren't truly that hard to create evidently when the government truly wants to create them even in remote Afghanistan

The politics of wars of principles are harder to overcome and the thinly veiled wars of Muslim Attrition for dubious purposes are definately bad politics.

Our bad foreign policy in waging these wars for vague reasons plays into the bad politics of the Taliban who it only becomes easier to recruit for because of the socioeconomic conditions in a dirt poor country like Afghanistan.

The politics of religion are hard to overcome as the Christian neoconservatives and the Zionists especially very much have a religious Crusade of their own based on a religious fear that an Islamic Jihad Movement in the East is on the rise.

Most of that is based on the government skillfully using emotional transference to make broad swaths of the Islamic world guilty by religious association of the alleged crimes of 19 never tried let alone convicted Saudi Hijackers that were reported to be the perpetrators of 9-11.

While its made a vague war whose only semi presentable goals to the public is Muslim Attrition since it's doubtful Americans would have committed so much of their growing 11 trillion dollar debt in fighting these wars to building an oil pipeline for Royal Dutch Shell, increasing the opium crop 90 fold and leasing huge copper deposits to the Chinese, it very much appears to be a war of Muslim Attrition to the Muslims too which makes the Taliban's calls for crushing the invading Crusaders all the more powerful.

Ultimately there are a lot of good reasons why Afghanis would and in fact do fight to rid their nation of foreign invaders.

There aren't really any good reasons as to why we are spending trillions of dollars we don't have and have to borrow to effectively kill more non-combatants in Afghanistan than actual combatants.

I don't want Afghanis coming here to America in mass and trying to violently dictate to us here how we should live and in reality none have ever tried or would ever be likely too.

We are though going to Afghanistan to install a corrupt regime that has clung to power through rigged and fraudelent elections that is mired in the opium and heroin trade, and is making a kickback off of a transnational oil pipeline they have allowed to be built and huge copper reserves they have sold off. The cost of which for the U.S. besides prestige and the needless and tragic loss of our brave young men and women is a war debt that the associated bankers are going to make 1 trillion dollars a year in interest alone off of.

I have a very real belief that better economic and educational opportunities right here in America would keep the citizens of this country from supporting wars of attrition based on exploited emotional transference and emotional manipulation.

If only our government thought we were as worthy of jobs and economic opportunities as the Taliban!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
haha LMAO! The US is looking like a pathetic beat down dog lately. The great war machine is begging the enemy to lay down their arms? My god what has this country become? Someone needs to remind these fools the war is as much a religious jihad (war) as anything. They will not just "lay down" their weapons. If anything it will inspire them to rise up as they realize they are winning.

I can't imagine the Wolverine kids of Red Dawn fame deciding to give up killing the invaders and work for the Russians & Cubans that have occupied their neighborhoods and slaughtered their friends / family.. for some chump change.

Any American that worked for the enemy occupying US soil would be labeled a traitor by US citizens... and would be hailed as a reformed terrorist and freedom fighter by the occupier... as the bizarro world theater of govt carnage, division and unapologetic violence continues...

If ya can't beat em, pay em...

..Red Dawn..

Google Video Link

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
From Another Washington Post September article

"I think that success in Afghanistan looks a great deal like success in Iraq," Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said Sunday. The situation in Iraq began to improve after Sunni tribes turned against al-Qaeda insurgents and accepted a security alliance with U.S. forces. Success in Iraq, however, also depended on a significant increase in U.S. troop deployments, a question that remains unanswered in Afghanistan. Gates said that he expects in "a matter of weeks" a White House decision on a revised strategy, and whether to supply U.S. commander Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal some or all of the additional troops he has requested

It appears the US is using the same tactic in Afghanistan that worked in Iraq. !) Troup surge 2) Turn the insurgents against al-qaeda.

Doesn't sound like this involves simply the exchange of money but rather working more closely with the insurgents, finding out what they want and applying a solution.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Maybe they should have started the welfare program before ever putting our troops in harm's way.

Haven't captured OBL.

Haven't got rid of Al queda.

Haven't taken out the Taliban.

Now we're going to pay some of the Talibans not to fight while we kill their relatives.

Yeah right.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
If you guys were at all serious about winning this war you would create special units trained for well over a year and only then let them loose. Right now you have thousands of inexperienced kids trying to do the job that should be handled by a few hundred elite special forces. Also the special forces you do have are hardly used, most Navy Seals retire without experiencing combat as a Navy Seal.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

If you guys were at all serious about winning this war you would create special units trained for well over a year and only then let them loose.

Very true. There are many things our government could be doing if they were serious about winning this war.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Haven't captured Osama?

WASHINGTON -- Osama bin Laden was unquestionably within reach of U.S. troops in the mountains of Tora Bora when American military leaders made the crucial and costly decision not to pursue the terrorist leader with massive force, a Senate report says.

Senate report: Bin Laden was 'within our grasp'

Unquestionably within reach is a hard one to swallow!

I take it you don't think this new tactic will work? LOL

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

No, it won't work.

We've had eight years, going on 9, to take care of Afghanistan. Our politicians have not taken this war seriously.

All their trying to do is pacify the area to make it look stabilize so we can withdraw.

If withdrawal is the agenda, then just do it. I just don't think any of our troops or allies troops should die because our politicians too scared to do the right thing.

Either fight or get the hell out of Dodge.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

What a wonderful comment, and point you made.

Trade for something that is real. Once Americans realize their sons and daughters are fighting and dying for something not tradeable, then the poop really will hit the fan. But there is something tradeable, and flourishing with us being there..........hmmmmmmm, but it isn't paper money.

"Your'e outa the woods, you're outa the dark, you're outa the night"

The "Wizard of Oz," anyone, while the characters trounce in a poppy field?

Tell a father or a mother who's lost a child to this crap, about opium fields, and the invisible dollars we don't see, what it is all about, then the poop will really hit the fan.

And what the hell kinda topic is the crap from a news source? Tack? Don't they mean, TACT?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

All their trying to do is pacify the area to make it look stabilize so we can withdraw.

And keep the Arab factions fighting between themselves?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

And keep the Arab factions fighting between themselves?

OK, hmmmmm?

Why should we? I don't know about you, but, I don't think I should get involved in all of my neighbors business.

For instance, would you report your neighbors for domestic abuse, if you knew they would know it was you?

How would you interfere inasomuchas, your real neighbors, not some abroad? What you suggest, is the loss of lives, to interfere with local warloards business? How is this place, the business of the rest of the world? What are these people fighing for, that has them, who share the same space fighting for?

Is it Gold? Is it Oil? Hmmm, what makes this country the most money?

Seriously, you are an inteligent person, I have read and enjoyed a lot of your threads.

You can't be a DOPE about this one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join