It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the probability of extraterrestrial life?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Life is OUTSIDE of planet earth

FACT

no if or but but FACT

thinking otherwise is more insane

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Ok let me help you out, i have been reading you posts and i do not understand your points..

1) Life on other planets is not the point
2) If its only in our solar system
3) if its on mars then how can it be outside of the system?

right! .. Life is NOT about being HUMAN for the LAST TIME...

Life IS and HAS been since this entire creation happend A FUNCTION of the universe

What IS life is the real question.. why have LIFE in the first place?? what is it? what is its role???

You see?

Now if you can UNDERSTAND what im saying, then you should know that LIFE

Is ALLLLLLLLLL over the universe.

as it was created at the same time EVERYTHING els was via calculations

sum of the same parts..

If NO LIFE was here it would have NEVER meant to be here.

are planets square or round because if you use your logic planets would be sqaure the universe is finite and we know alll the answers and life is not needed but more so a mistake

get me?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Life seems to be fairly tenacious on this planet... it seems that wherever it can [and sometimes seemingly can't] develop, it does. We are not even sure that it is unique to this planet within our own solar system, and are finding it more and more likely that it is not. So I'd say it's highly probable that extraterrestrial life exists elsewhere in this system and and in others.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Indigenous life discovered on Mars would prove that ET life exists.

And I didn't say it wouldn't. My only point is that it would not answer all of our questions.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I did say this already, but its 100%. Not only is the Drake's Formula a conservative estimate, relating development more specifically to our idea of life and conditions, but there are stars billions of years older than ours.

We're all projects now, and we are being visited by our cosmic families 24/7.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Intelligent life in our galaxy alone may actually be quite diverse and indeed, abundant.

It's a typical human mindset to accept we were the "lucky" and unique little snowflake planet. Heck, you could be stoned, hung or imprisoned in our not so distant past, for suggesting our planet wasn't the center of everything.

Was our planet the "lottery winner" in our galaxy alone? I highly doubt that.

I think it's obvious life is elsewhere. Asking the probability of life in the universe is akin to asking the chances of popcorn being on the floor of a movie theater after a movie. I guess I don't get the point.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost in the Machine

haha

Its hard if you dont like math..

You see the main problem here is NOT what is out there but what IS here..

People MISS the very Point of the eqaution tho i do think its some what WRONG in its calculations..

Because here is a way to understand it in its basic form without all the guff

ok ready?

The chances of you being here IS 0.infinity

Everything YOU can POSSIBLE think of CAN HAPPEN .. be it remote or NEVER

It can / cant

By the VERY fact YOU are here

In physics this is called QUATOM THEORY

Now this means because YOU are here YOU are IN FACT the OBSERVER ok?

So if YOU observer SOMETING it CHANGES "if you have any idea about the subject"

So The PROIBLITY factor OF the given question BECOMES 1

Ie In order for the PROBILITY OF ANYTHING TO HAPPEN requires an OBSERVER

or you do not get the ANSWER to any given subject!

If you was DEAD the Probiblity of ANYTHING is 0

if YOU are ALIVE the probiblity of ANTYTHING is 1

Binarycode "just thought i would point that out" and no we dont live in the matrix ...

so if WE are INSIDE the universe we have 2 ways to figure it out in math

WE ARE ALONE in INFINITE UNIVERSE

OR WE ARE NOT

look at that very close!!

in order for me to make that statment would require the statment above.

We are NOT alone in the UNIVERSE because WE are here..

FACT...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"whats the probability of ET life?" is quite an uninteresting question. The question puts no limit on where this life might be which gives us the whole universe or multiverse. Or what kind of life e.g microbial, complex or intelligent.

The question needs framing better such as - how common is extra terrestrial intelligence in our galaxy?. Or even how common are earth-like planets. Places we would be able to colonize. Will the closest one be within 10ly, 100 or 10,000ly?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

It's a very interesting question.

Especially based on all of the evidence that has accumulated over the years.

This question is talked about from scientist at NASA to people like Dr. Michio Kaku.

When you ask this question, it forces you to weigh the probabiity as to what's most likely and what's less likely based on the available evidence.

It doesn't allow for wild speculation like chinese lanterns or kites without evidence to support the claim.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

how common is extra terrestrial intelligence in our galaxy?.

To asses this is easy you just need to understand what life is.

You have 2 choices here to work it out.

Life was given only to earth via some epic mistake.. Or
Life is a part of the universe and a function of it.

Look at the second part.. life is a part of the universe.. well yep we know that for sure becuase if it was not.. we would not be sat here debating it now would we? regardless of what faith or belief you have you can not deny that fact.

So? if the universe did indeed create life ONCE then in an universe as big as ours "not like can find the edge" we are very much not alone.

The arogance of man to think we are alone when a tree is as alien compared to me yet i put my self above a tree because of words like inteligence?

without a tree you would not be alive? so is intelegence more about ones ego ? or is about looking at the facts.

from were i am sitting, the people who say there is no life in space and need proof should take a moment to look in the mirror.

because we live in space
not in a bubble

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

well judging by your op the thread title should be . Whats the probability of ETs visiting earth? becuase thats what your op talks about. But the subject seems to have changed to any type of life existing anywhere. Its all a bit confusing tbh.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 13579

woah there, nobodies saying theres no life in space. Or that we are alone. The question is , is intelligent life common for us to ever find it or be able to communicate with it? Thats whats in doubt. If theres only 5 civs in the galaxy we will probably never find them.Too far apart in space & time.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Well to have any topic like this, its self explanatory in its way so the ops topic deals with both.

Because if a bug on another planet weather it be bactira over time that bug will EVOLVE correct?

you see if you think like this.. If the universe is empty of life other than earth then it becomes full.. because we are it.

If life is not just on earth then you can work out that over time life would have made more than 1 intelligent being other than human as its common just like stars moons planets..

the universe is a very very big place.. and humans tend to think short term when it comes to being here.

If humans are around as long as the dinosours then space travel will be like going to wall mart

we fly to space now.., 100 years ago we didnt even have TV

ironic to say the least! just think of the magic that awaits man on his path ?

we will become god himself in our own time.

Here is a spooky but yet different take on the bible

Made in our own image.. well they got it close..

More like made in ITS image .. just look up at the stars then look in the mirror and how your mind works

very simlar dont cha think?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

It's about both.

Is extraterrestrial life out there? Are they visiting earth?

We debate these things all the time. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

No you assume they are humans
- that is your problem.

we use to think the world was flat and have god..

What if an alien race do not have god? and use all means of there "interlect" to further the race?

You will find very fast that the big IN THE WAY in humans way of life is GOD its self.

And please understand humans "interlect" is a NEW concept to humans

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I exist, I think. I think that everyone outside of my head exists. Considering that, I dont think it is too much of a stretch to think that there is another life form out there somewhere contemplating and trying to prove my existance to his internet buddies, wherever he may be.

I dont see any proof of them existing here, there is some evidence they might be here but no proof - yet. You know, I want to see the body and all that silly evidenciary junk.

Condisering the variety and abundance of life here on Earth (which has been proven very very hard to kill off) makes my home special but certainly not unique. This place is infested with life, no reason to think that this could'nt happen in some form or fashion around another star and planet in the "special" zone. That just my intuition, tho...sure hope this isnt some stupid simulation, that would be a bummer...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Well you know what : there are two book about this and you add them in you first post.

And the probability in these books are scientific , your probilities are not , ok ? (sorry)

The probability of extraterrestrial life is 100%

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The readers of this thread might find this interesting.

361 Civilzations

Do we know there is life (as we know it) in our Galaxy?

Sure we do, at a minimum we have our own planet and all its various forms past, present and future. It also appears likely that life has sprung up on Mars in the distant past and can't be ruled out today. Now lets consider that there are several moons in our own solar system that are candidates as well. Hmm one solar system, 8 planets (sorry Pluto) and 1 positive for life and 3 "maybes". Now lets consider just for fun that we may not be the first or only sentient beings to of popped up on good old mother Earth.

Sounds like a sure case that our Galaxy alone is bursting with life and that we have more then a few neighbors and considering the age of the milk way they are probably more advanced then us to such a degree as to make us seem like something quite a bit less then worthy of the title civilized.

Think about it, we are on the verge of discovering other "Earths" with our current level of tech. That means that if there are other people out there we are without a doubt under observation.

Santa's watching and I think we are on the naughty list...

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Helmkat]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
1 out of every 10,000,000 video and eye withness account of a ufo. Not bad odds uh.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
100% in my opinion, although I doubt we are being visited and tend to believe that the new age und UFO cult are psychological warfare and propaganda.
Also there are a lot of adults who still want to play "Spaceship" (as long as its ok for them to be captain), which is ok by me.

I just cannot believe a civilization that is so high-tech would have not long ago destroyed itself or maybe its entire galaxy.
Our ability to travel long-distance is still very limited, but our ability to annihilate and poison ourselves has been around for quite some time now and surely as time goes by it will become more effective and lethal.

One thing that always bothers me, why would an enlightened race build spaceships rather than give it up altogether, realising its follies.

So if any aliens show up with their bling spaceships and vulgar technology, one could expect them to be similar to the sado-controlfreaks who work at NASA, Lockheed and co.
, maybe even sex-tourists.
and just in case you have a romantic alien encounter, don't forget to use a condom, you never know with conquistadors.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join