It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YOU HAVE 30 MINUTES TO PACK UP! What do you pack? (this is an emergency scenario)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

You do realize angel probably being one of the few females there would be another in-house lottery, With you as the main prize ?? ... LOL.
Then i would have to pack my cookery recipes and my Sharp cooking knives and my recipe for Potcheen (with honey), plus some Old spice aftershave, And not to forget the wife, A good buy letter... LOL..

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Toilet and Kitchen paper roll.

Essential comfort for me.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Hi all.

I thought people might like this guy's blog. He's an ex-pat living in Argentina, which as you likely know, suffered an economic collapse in the early 90's, and thrust the population from a high standard of living, into, well a survival mode.

When people discuss survival, the topic often focuses on extreme scenarios that involve a man with a pack and a gun. For the vast majority of us, that' not only unfeasible, but unlikely. More likely, and also dangerous, is just getting by where you live, when TSHTF. Sure, I have a bug-out kit, but I also have advanced arthritis in my knees, degeneration in my back, 3 dogs (one of whom is blind). I live very near to my family - my parents, my sister and her kids... no, I have no plan of running anywhere. I don't see that happening unless we find out a nuke is on the way (i store sodium iodide for that scenario).

I think that outside of these extreme scenarios - which will likely not go well for any of us - the thing that will give us the best chance, is to get to know our neighbors. I live in a safe, medium sized town, and I think I don't want to be anywhere else. As you'll read in the blog below, the cities become very dangerous, but so does the country. A middle ground gives you your best shot of making it, and staying sane.

That said, yes, he does discuss kits, and gear, and a whole lot more.

This blog is comprehensive, and constantly updated.

I hope you like it as much as I do, and find something useful in it.

ferfal.blogspot.com...

"Surviving in Argentina" -

[edit on 28-11-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueTruth

Hi TT, I have read his blog before and did not realize it was regularly updated (star for ya), And have practised his skills in peacetime scenarios ready for WTSHTF, I have amassed some items for bartering/trading and preselected items for home security (cant take them yet i would get jailed LOL) .. So well recommended for any serious survival citizens...

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
30 min is not a lot of time to do all that much. The first thing i would do is to try and get some information on what the heck is happening.

Why do i only have 30 min!

If i have to move to a different location. I would have to know if that location is safe to be at in 30 min. And after. So information is a must.

The next problem that i have to think about is. What is happening around me. Do i have time to prepare. Or do i have to get going because of traffic or other types of chaos.
Where i live there is not that many roads that lead away from the city. And you dont really get that far in 30 min if there is traffic. I might even have to bug of on my bike. How far can you travel on your bike in 30 min. Would it be far enough?

I always know where i keep my gear. But the first and only thing i would grab if i have to leave very very fast is my sleeping bag. It is light and easy to carry. As i said 30 min is not much time to get prepared. Not if you have to be far away from you current location.

What about family!

If they also know that we have 30 min. Its not going to be hard to prepare them. But our problem will be speed. Especially if we can't use the car as transportation. So again me and my wife have to make sacrificing choices on what to bring.

Our goal is safety. But we have only 30 min. What if i my kids are not at home?
I would call them if it is possible. In times like this the lines might be shut down because of the chaos or maybe for other reasons.

I would grab their sleeping bags and put them in my backpack. My wife would get food and water for a day or two if possible. Then we would have to leave. I would pray to God that my kids are either with us or at the location they have told us that they would be.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
A moustache on a stick!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/095339363a62.jpg[/atsimg]

Essential for all unplanned adventures and the occasional dental hygiene.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
as long as i can be with my lifpartner, i don't need anything else. if my love is not chosen to be rescued in the bunker, i refuse to go. same goes for my friends...
if it comes to what i'd choose as most dearly, i'd grab the hand of my lifepartner

you can replace everything in your life, except of your love/ soul, your knowledge/ abilities, your induviduality, and the ones you love. because although there's some things pretty handy, eg, my herbs and plants, my painting stuff, my powerbook, aso, they are all replaceable...

what do we really need? which is the most important in life? for me, it is def nothing 'material'...

best,
bertrand

uhm, sorry, sounds very kitsch... uhm

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Nothing....it's already all loaded in the camper, plus a camper bug out bag and a home bug out bag if we can't take the camper....if anything happened where I am though, pretty sure we would bug "in".....no shelters for us. Get me a chicken or 2 to live downstairs so we get lots of eggs, and stay at home.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by mellisamouse]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I already have a BOB (bug out bag). Although going to the bunker and not getting in would be a major waste of precious time. If the comet is going to kill us all anyways, I would probably just spend the remainder of my time with family.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wilt456

So the government are going to supply me with everything i need? In that case i pack my guitar and that's about it. If they are going to give me food, shelter, fresh air, water, heat and all of the other things i need to survive then i don't see what i need to take with me. Ok i could take a book but i'm sure they've made provisions for such things as knowledge would be a key thing to store. So my guitar to keep me and others entertained, maybe the harmonica as well as it takes up minimal space.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Some classic and not classic board games, some tarot cards, picture books
and or photo albums, music collection, joke books, famous quotaion books,
sock puppet and other various craft materials, nicotene patches of various
strenghts, a diary, portable exscorcise device, scionide pills, a pick...I'm
assuming that all these items'd be there already...as much as it'd be un-
comfortable, i'd try to 'smuggle' a mini flashlight in in case we lost power!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have evacuated very quickly in an emergency and I'd advise you all to just keep an organized home and you'll know what to do when the time comes. It really depends on what type of emergency you are facing. If you are in a hurry and your house is a disorganized mess you are going to have a very difficult time of it. Know where are your important stuff is and make sure you keep it in the same place at all times. Keep camping gear and survival equipment in your car at all times. If you care about your pets gather them put them in carriers as soon as possible because as soon as they sense that you are in a panic they will run off and be very hard to find.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

Originally posted by angelx666

i will pack a makeup bag nails and hair stuff, so the men then can worship me for the rest of the needs

ok there's men..women..and no laws...putting on makeup would be unwise...just and fyi.

i don't think insensitive people will make it there to be honest, for that part of populace is fema camps, no survivor boats, why anyone would want to safe an animal ~~

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I would laugh,then I would say thanks for the offer,tell them to let the first random person that shows up at the door to the shelter,in,they can have my spot.Laugh a little more and say "Have fun,good luck".

Then I would communicate to everyone relevant, the STHF and it's party time,joke about winning the lottery,and go back to what ever I was doing.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
Then I would communicate to everyone relevant, the STHF and it's party time,joke about winning the lottery,and go back to what ever I was doing.

This is my favorite answer.

This is absolutely hilarious, the answers thats coming out of people. Now I see why society finds it so hard to agree on one thing.

Fellow posters: The OP asked what would you take if you only had 30 minutes.
He didn't ask what could you take if you could find out how much more time you had. You have 30 minutes.
You have one suitcase and one backpack. Thats it. No more room. You can't pack people.
No food or water needed, I imagine you wouldn't need toiletries (including make-up) :facesmack:
People aren't going to kill each other. The gov't is going to be there. Millitary presence is key here.

I used to give logic questions to people all the time, and when you're given a scenario, you have to answer with the given info, not some whipped up idea you added to the question.

Hey, I'm just trying to be logical. Not funny.
OP I believe you had the most sensible answer, your books and family memoirs. As I read, I guess we are trying to be funny. Oops.

But, in all honesty, I would give my spot to someone who wanted to go. I sure wouldn't. I'd rather try to stick it out somewhere else or die trying.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

This forum is called survival techniques.
Not exploration into what stuff you take in a "imaginary" scenario.

This thread belongs in the psychology forum.
It is a post in my thread "thread".

There will not be a lottery.
There is no lottery provisions in any preparedness plan.

If there is a a major meteor strike,like the "hypothesis" that one killed the dinosaurs,you will know well in advance of 30 mins, or not at all.

This scenario is flawed.

I wish ATS had a main survival forum with sub forums.
So that these "poo" threads could be composted and contained in the imaginary scenario forum.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well, I am sure they would not be planning on sending out any invites at all. The bunkers are for the ones picked long ago. I am sure most of us are not on that list. So, No packing for me.....I would be on my own trying to survive along with the majority of us. So I will not waste time making a list and checking it twice! Ha Ha

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Fellow posters: The OP asked what would you take if you only had 30 minutes.
He didn't ask what could you take if you could find out how much more time you had. You have 30 minutes.
You have one suitcase and one backpack. Thats it. No more room. You can't pack people.
No food or water needed, I imagine you wouldn't need toiletries (including make-up) :facesmack:
People aren't going to kill each other. The gov't is going to be there. Millitary presence is key here.

I still want my toothbrush.

In a case of emergency and chaos the military will surely shoot the people holding guns instead of the people with shiny teeth holding a toothbrush.

"Relinquish your toothbrush or we open fire!" - is something no human being will ever hear I am sure.

And then when I'm thrown in the refugee camp I'm sure no one will bother to gang up on me to steal my toothbrush. This is in jest of course but one personal rule of survival that I always think about (ignorant of survival techniques and strategies as I am) is that in dire circumstances not owning anything others would kill for just might keep you alive for another day.

EDIT to add:

... and mind your teeth. You don't want to eat that dog food through a straw

[edit on 29-11-2009 by InTrueFiction]

[edit on 29-11-2009 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wilt456
THIS IS A FICTIONAL SCENARIO: Okay. So a meteor is going to hit earth in approximately 48 hours. The meteor is about the size of the one that wipe out the dinosaurs. The governments of the world has just announced this. Each of them has built a huge underground bunker that will house a select number of their populations. After several years, when things on the surface recover (assuming that they do), these survivors will rebuild civilization and re populate the globe. When the announcement of the coming disaster is made, an announcement about a lottery program is made as well. Each person has a chance to survive in the bunkers. If you are chosen, you will receive a phone call or email notifying you.

Well, you just got the notification. You have 30 minutes to pack up one large suitcase and one small backpack before the helicopter comes to get you. You will not need to bring food or water because they will be supplied at the bunker. So, the question here is, what would you bring (pack)? Will you bring family photos? Your jewelry? Your ipod? The choice is yours-but remember that what you pack might be the only one of its kind to survive the disaster.

For me, I would bring several sets of clothes, my ipod, my favorite books (Harry Potter, Alas Babylon, Tom Sawyer, ect.), digital camera, batteries, precious family memorabilia, and my laptop.

for us it is easy... we already have the shelter built so moving things is not an issue.... we have the trailer and the vehicles all loaded (even right now) and we are out of the city in a matter of 2 hours and in the safest place we can be...
see ya in about 10 years or so when alot of the crap has floated back down....

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hi! Everyone in the family has an index card for filling up a back pack with survival gear. Otherwise clothes, photos, cookbooks/ how to books/ history books, games, art supplies, my dog. I would try to buy a male dog of her breed to take along. Everyone loves puppies! Great way to pass the time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join