It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Different Kind of Christian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I am not an evangelical Christian, I am not a turn the other cheek kind of guy. I aspire to be a better person and so I try to be kind to others and treat them the way I would want to be treated etc. I do not go out of my way to try to tell anyone about Christianity, if they ask me I will tell them what I know, but I really don't care if they know or not. If Hell is real I really don't care if you go to it or not. I couldn't care less if some mouthy atheist is saved and I couldn't give a damn if they go to Hell when they die, in fact sometimes I hope they do. I would never go out of my way to save them and I am not the kind of Christian that would allow myself to be a door mat, I am not Christ and do not hold myself to that standard. If you are a Christian hater then why would I ever want to save you. Be damned if you will, it means nothing to me.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by factbeforefiction]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by factbeforefiction

I think you just defined me.

Definetly a man after my own heart.

At least up to the hoping some people go to hell part. That's a little harsh for even me partner. I don't think you really mean it the way you said it?
Or I disagree with that anyway.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

So?

Why is this in Conspiracies of Religion?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Could you please tell us exactly what Church you belong to, if any? Your theology interests me. It seems to me that many many of the thousands of Christians denominations currently existing in our country today have spent countless man-hours in expunging almost all of Christ's teachings from their doctrines. It would also seem that you, sir, have done the same where your own philosophy of what constitutes a true Christian attitude is concerned.

As you might have gathered from my nickname I am not a Christian. I have found that I do not require either the aid or the forgiveness of a "space daddy" to be successful in life or a functionally decent human being. However I am a student of religion. I think that religions are fascinating. I can honestly state that I, unlike so many of the proudly proclaimed Christinas that I have encountered in my life, have actually read the Bible. I can also state that, atheist that I am, I have based much of my morality upon Christ's Sermon On The Mount.

So much of the New Testament is pure twaddle, don't you think? The Virgin Birth, The Ressurection, and so on, are really silly stuff. They are retreads and copped from older religions. But the Sermon On The Mount, now here is something new! Here is something radically different from anything seen in Levant theology before it was presented way back in whatever A.D. THIS sermon is the true teaching of the guy we now call Jesus. In point of fact, copies of this sermon are the most prevalent scripture to be found in archaeological digs that predate the compiling of the Bible. This sermon predates the Gospels by many many years. To my mind, it was this text, delivered by someone who we now call the Christ, that formed the very nucleus of what would one day become the Christain Church(es).

And what a text it is!! What gets preached in it's lines are still as radical today as they were 2000 years ago! God is not to be seen as an all-powerful, wrathful destroyer but, instead as a kind and loving father. All men and women are borthers and sisters and they should be treated as such. The bounty that earth produces is intended by God to nourish and benefit all people, not just a few. Charity and forgiveness are the keys to Heaven. In point of fact, if most people practiced what the Christ ( or whoever) wrote in this extraordinary sermon then we would all now be experiencing heaven right here on Earth.

So, you see, I may be an atheist, and I may have no functional use for organized Christianity, but that doesn't mean that i do not have the utmost respect for the founding principles and ideas that, at the time of their birth, set this religious philosophy apart from virtually every other religion being practiced in the Middle East at that time. Charity, Forgiveness, Faith, Love, Sharing what we have so that ALL might have, Mutual Respect, these were notions that were destined to set the Roman World on fire. They were notions that the men and women of the time were willing to die for. Isn't it a pity that so many of our modern Christians seem to have nothing but contempt for these self-same ideals?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by factbeforefiction

... I am not Christ and do not hold myself to that standard.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by factbeforefiction]

Isn`t that "standard" , the whole point ? Or at least an honest endeavour to hold oneself to that standard.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I believe that most Christians feel the same way you do, they are just painted differently by the anti-religious.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I do not go out of my way to try to tell anyone about Christianity

I see. Then what was the purpose of this thread if not to tell us about your perspective of christianity?

[edit on 28-11-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
At least you are being honest about your feelings on the subject. That's a different perspective.

Live and let live but if they damn themselves then so be it...seems to be what I get out of your post.

I don't see any argument here.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I find it rather strange too.

Especially since he started THIS topic on religious intolerance. ANd he bitched about that post being put into the rant section. That is most intolerant of him.

I believe this OP belongs in the rant section too, where it can be more easily tolerated. Except by those that are most intolerant. They don't tolerate ANYTHING!

And I find this "I am not a turn the other cheek kind of guy." to be highly if not extremely intolerant.

@ OP

Be damned if you will, it means nothing to me.

How very tolerant of you.

But the word damned simply means judged. Everyone is going to be damned including you. Tolerate that.

[edit on 28/11/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

A Different Kind of Christian

Your message is refreshing regardless of what category it was born into here in what could easily be referred to as a Roman arena.

In truth, you are beyond condemnation because even if your personal adherence to the faith is not entirely in keeping with some standard concepts, it does withstand the test of scrutiny in a place where open, admitted Christianity is like a bullseye for adolescent booger-slingers and anti-Christian snipers.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Your not a ANY kind of Christian. Your a self centered hypocrite.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Firstly...agreeing with Hank, why did you post this in a conspiracy forum?

Really?

Secondly...what you describe is "not" a new form of Christian, in fact; it is the oldest form of sinner right next to the "thief, murderer and adulterer"...what you are claiming to be is "the liar" or "the false one". No...I do not think you are "lying to us", but instead- lying to yourself.

Look...you have fooled yourself into thinking "Christ" would accept the "soul" of a man who "doesn't care about other humans". That just won't work...not in the "Christian sense of things".

Now I am not defending or debating the validity of "Christ"...what I AM saying is, if you "have" Christ in your heart, there would be no "not caring" for all those people "without Christ" or "lost".

Again...I am not trying to begin a combat session of "how do YOU know Christ wants what!?" or "Christ is fake, duuuuuude". I am just putting the facts down.

If you do not care about the people around you, on this planet, even if you deeply dislike them for who they are and what they do...then you are not "with Christ"

If you are not struggling to "over come" your apathy and hate, then you are not "a new type of Christian". You are a disgruntle human with a lack of "love" for our messed up brothers and sisters.

Imagine being the KKK guy who thinks white people are scum, that black people should rule the world, voted for Obama and has a white, homosexual husband.

Now picture him saying "I'm the new wave of KKK".

Wow...what a crazy picture to paint! No?

Well...saying you are of Christ's flock, while saying "you don't care who goes to hell, who lives or dies or what anyone does" is just not "Christian".

Don't get me wrong...I'm not defending no organized church of anything.

I am simply saying, what you wrote as "your new Christian way", Christ would take as a slap in the face to everything he "supposedly" taught and died for.

I don't blame you for wanting to bump Christ as your personal symbol/bumpersticker. He is an awesome weapon/idol! Cool name to! But seriously, finding him is not as easy as just "saying you are a new form of his people".

Having Christ in your heart is impossible if you truly feel how you say you do in your OP. Sorry...that is just how it is.

So now, if you think Christ is real, and truly believe that, then we have to figure out WHO is in your heart this day, if it isn't the True Christ.

Hmmm...gotta be a bad guy somewhere in the bible. Pick him and just assume.

Good luck...hope you get past this.

top topics

join