It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spin Polorization Achieved at Room Temperature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

A group in The Netherlands has achieved a first: injection of spin-polarized electrons in silicon at room temperature. This has previously been observed only at extremely low temperatures, and the achievement brings spintronic devices using silicon as a semiconductor a step closer

Spintronics, or spin electronics, is an emerging field of electronics that aims to be able to represent digital information by using the spin of electrons as well as their charge. When fully developed, spintronic devices could profoundly change data storage devices, computer architecture and so on, and they could reduce energy use to ultra-low levels.

www.physorg.com...

This is exciting. . . here is a small introduction to spintronics

Almost infinite storage space would be fantastic for me, I detest having to buy new hard drives every few months.

This besides the fact that its a great application of quantum physics makes for very interesting science.

Perhaps were not that far from building apllicable devices operating on spintronics

[edit on 27-11-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Amazing! How did using spins of electrons to encode information never crossed my mind! haha
Argh I have to be more observant and practical... (just ramblings of a scientist in formation
)

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This will be great news for Gordon Brown, the UK Prime Minister - his whole Government depends on spin.

new topics

join