It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazilian president says 'gringos' must pay to protect Amazon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Brazilian president says 'gringos' must pay to protect Amazon

www.guardian.co.uk

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva was speaking before an Amazon summit at which delegates signed a declaration calling for financial help from the industrialised world to halt deforestation, which contributes to global warming.

"I don't want any gringo asking us to let an Amazon resident die of hunger under a tree," Lula said. "We want to preserve, but they will have to pay the price for this preservation because we never destroyed our forest like they mowed theirs down a century ago."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
LOL!!

Has this guy been talking to Hugo Chavez?

On a serious note, what needs to be done is REMOVAL of all of these greedy mega-corps who are raping and pillaging the region and the earth in general. These companies are like flesh-eating bacteria that are chewing away at the flesh of the planet and contributing to the illness of the entire organism.

But I'm sure the pres' commentary will cause a few eyebrows to be raised...Which may be a good thing. This de-forestation and destruction needs to be altered and put under the microscope...The very fate of humanity may depend on it.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Cattle ranching is the leading cause of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon. This has been the case since at least the 1970s: government figures attributed 38 percent of deforestation from 1966-1975 to large-scale cattle ranching. However, today the situation may be even worse. According to the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), "between 1990 and 2001 the percentage of Europe's processed meat imports that came from Brazil rose from 40 to 74 percent" and by 2003 "for the first time ever, the growth in Brazilian cattle production—80 percent of which was in the Amazon—was largely export driven."

www.mongabay.com...

Recently, Brazilian president,Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva led a delegation of several government representatives and hundreds of business leaders to China to encourage closer ties. After five days of talks on trade and diplomacy, a growing alliance was in the works. Brazil will supply the goods China requires and in return, China's companies are positioning themselves to provide capital to help Brazil achieve massive expansion in its crumbling road, rail and port infrastructures. The Chinese interest is not limited to Brazil however, and this is where Peru, the Transoceanica and the controversy come in.

news.mongabay.com...

yep, Gringos must pay

Brazil and Brazil alone has the power to stop the damage being done to the amazon.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

gringo: derogatory term for white people source

gringo, 'n-word', spick, honkey, cracker, zipper head, gook, spook, zip, zeeb, heeb, greaser

all words that - in and of them selves - are completely harmless...although the language filter only filters one of them

But name another foreign leader who would dare use one of them without extreme whiplash from the global community for doing so.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Didn't you know that it is ok to make fun of us White Devils as long as you don't insult any outer groups.

I say screw him. I am not paying a dime for him to not cut down another tree. Oil up your chainsaw buddy and keep cutting, because if you are waiting for us gringos to pay you are going to be waiting forever.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It would be a shame for the Amazon to be destroyed bit by bit.
It is their country so they are responsible for allowing it.
Everybody wants the money.
I do hope they stop the de-forestation.(sp)

S&F DD as usual a good thread.
I need some of your flags, comeon share.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
w t f
why is it ok to say gringo?
racist and reported.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

lmao

reported for what? It was the article that said gringo - not the poster

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
the gringos want the amazon u know why?

because there is oil in it !!

haahahhahahah

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

lmao

reported for what? It was the article that said gringo - not the poster

He's reporting the brasilian prez to the mods.

On a serious note though, I am sure there will be some repercussions of this, and I would not be surprised to see him tame down the rhetoric somewhat. Not a wise idea to use slang towards others as a figure head. Just my .02. though.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
It seems like the US is always the focal point when somebody wants money, ...

US Must Pay for Climate Change Impact of Its Goods Produced in China

Philippines' Foreign Secretary Insists U.S. Must Pay More for Bases

U.S. must pay for trade-busting gambling law

'US AND EUROPE MUST PAY REPARATIONS TO VICTIMS OF SLAVERY AND COLONIALISM

EU says rich states must pay up to save climate agreement

Yep, when in fact, little do they know but China is actually paying these cause WE AIN'T GOT NO MO MOOLAAAA!!

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
i dunno, i can see his point. the amazon is a world resource, maybe the whole world should take an interest in it's preservation. if i've to pay $50 a year to do it, i can live with that.

we're all spending trillions on protecting banks and big business, gringo or not, i'ld rather have a beautiful, precious, life giving forest than another greasy stain on wall street.

you guys would have to pay more for your broadband service every month than you'ld need to pay to protect the rain forests for a year ffs, how could you take issue with it?.

[edit on 27/11/09 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally said by this President matey
"I don't want any gringo asking us to let an Amazon resident die of hunger under a tree," Lula said. "We want to preserve, but they will have to pay the price for this preservation because we never destroyed our forest like they mowed theirs down a century ago."

Aside from taking offence at being called a "gringo", i also take exception to his logic that because we cut down our forests (did we?) we should pay them stop cutting theirs down.

First of all, Englands forests were whittled down over the course of several centuries. Brazil has deforested an area the size of England many times over in just a couple of decades.

Secondly, our "deforested" land is still arable and productive. Their deforested land winds up as just short of desert after a few years, unable to grow anything or support any farming.

Thirdly, we are planting trees at a much greater rate than ever before, at least in the UK.

I'm sick to death of all these poor as arse countries, some of which seem to be able to have space programs yet also have crippling poverty, saying us "white" people should pay them to stop ruining their own country.

Its like your neighbour insisting you pay him £100 a month just to stop him taking a dump on his own carpet. Where's the logic in that? Why the hell do I care if he craps in his own home, he has to live in it.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Its like your neighbour insisting you pay him £100 a month just to stop him taking a dump on his own carpet. Where's the logic in that? Why the hell do I care if he craps in his own home, he has to live in it.

thats fine in week one, in week two, week three....... by week twenty eight the whole street stinks of crap and the kids have dysentery.

what do you think you pay council tax for?basically, it's to stop your neighbours crap swilling past your front door.

the world is an interconnected system.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So funny to hear a president say that."Pay is to stop cutting down our tree's. They are cutting them down, let them figure it out. Im tired of them always blaimin us. And you know sarcozy was not there for the climate talk. He was wanted to get some brazilian tail.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Da Silva can kiss my gringo ass.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So basically this guy found out that they now hold the proverbial golden egg and he's decided to hold the enviroment hostage and demand a ransom demanding that the white man pay it because everyone knows that the white man is responsible for all the worlds problems
. What an idiot

Maybe someone should explain to him that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Anyone with a brain doesn't want anymore of the rainforests cut down, they're important to the whole world, but he's going about it all wrong. If his country needs help he'll find more understanding and cooperation with a request than he ever will with a demand. And using a derogatory term is definately not going to help the situation, all that does is alienate people.

[edit on 11/27/2009 by chise61]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
In portuguese "gringo" has not the same insulting conotation.

It is simply a word for "foreigner" , just more popular. Prety sure whoever translated it did not have this in mind. Go get a portuguese diccionary

gringo (grin-go)
s. m.
Bras. Deprec. Estrangeiro

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Haha I had never thought of making money this way. I wonder if there is any rich environmentalists I know that this would work on. Give me money or I will cut down all the trees in my backyard, run all the electrical appliances in my house 24/7 and buy the most gas guzzling clunker car I can find! Environmental terrorism? Pay me or I will destroy the environment?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join