It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesuit Colleges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
My son has recently applied for acceptance in a post-graduate program at University of Detroit Mercy. This university is apparently one of the 28-member Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in the U.S.

One year ago, my niece was accepted into this same program there. While keeping in touch with her, my son was alarmed and dismayed to discover that within a couple on months of attending this institution, she was "seriously into the Bible". What was so disconcerting about this was that prior to attending this school, she demonstrated nothing but indifference toward religion and the active practice of one.

The Mission Statement for this university can be found by clicking on this link:

University of Detroit Mercy Mission Statement

Do Jesuit universities, in general, have a reputation for trying to force their belief system on unsuspecting, non-Catholic students as some sort of twisted way of "integrating" the spiritual development of students as mentioned in their Mission Statement?

Should my son have cause for concern that this is a Jesuit institution from the standpoint of their reputed links to the carrying out of a Vatican NWO agenda?

I was personally creeped out by the appearance of "666" at the end of the URL I copy/pasted for the Mission Statement Link.

Does anyone out there have any personal experiences to share either from having attended a Jesuit backed college yourself or of someone you know who did?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I went to a jesuit-backed institution and found it to be an exceptional education. Standards for work quality were high, and they absolutely took plagiarism seriously. The few jesuits that I had as professors were true scholars and didn't mess around. They encouraged free thinking, and disagreement with course content, provided you fulfilled the requirements of the assignments. The jesuits seemed to enjoy debating and were very respectful when making counter points. The benefit to the small class sizes (20-30 students) was that while you could sit in the back of the class and coast through, it was much more fun to become engaged.

The only creepy thing about going to a jesuit institution was the social aspects outside of class. There were many clubs and student groups, but all of them were pretty tightly monitored and controlled by administration.

Over a 4-year education, I think there were only 3 or 4 required classes in religion, and only 1 of them mentioned the Bible (the required version of the Bible for this class was "The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Expanded Edition, Revised Standard Version"). The remainder of the religion courses covered the writings of St. Ignatius Loyola, as well as other classical and contemporary christian philosophers. Within the required religion courses, there were electives, so you always had a choice between 2 or 3 classes to meet the requirement, and some of those classes didn't place as much of an emphasis on christianity or catholicism.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I graduated from a Jesuit University and found the education second to none! At no time during my 4 years was I forced or coerced into Catholocism. Like the other poster wrote, you are required to take some theology courses, but they weren't specific to Catholics or even Christianity - the courses I took discussed and explored all major religions.

What makes a Jesuit education so valuable is the critical thinking skills it teaches - logic, language, philosophy, ethics etc. And, as the other poster pointed out, the smaller class sizes make becoming engaged in the course material very easy and enjoyable.

Perhaps your niece was looking for answers to life's more complicated questions and found answers in the Bible. Stuff like that happens, especially when young people venture out on their own for the first time.

As for the rest fo the stuff, like the Jesuits being a part of the NWO and all of that - well,
Whatever. I don't buy it.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MKULTRA

Thanks for your reply. I'm pleased that you had a generally positive educational experience.

I would like to think that any Catholic institution of higher education that would accept non-Catholic students would be above endeavoring to influence any student on matters of religion.

I feel particularly uneasy about my niece's situation since her 'transformation' coincided with her attendance at this school. Her program is in a medical discipline where there would be absolutely no reason for religion of any kind to come into play unless it was obliquely tied in with the teaching of an ethics course that deals with the issue of showing respect for a patient's religious persuasion.

I would be highly enraged and offended if I spent big bucks funding my son's education in a secular field of study only to discover that there are some subliminal attempts being made to sell the school's religious affiliation on him.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoneGrey
I would be highly enraged and offended if I spent big bucks funding my son's education in a secular field of study only to discover that there are some subliminal attempts being made to sell the school's religious affiliation on him.

You needn't worry - it won't happen. But you must understand that as a liberal arts college, he will be required to take some core courses in theology. Nobody escapes the requirement. However, these are academic courses on religion, not brainwashing sessions.

new topics

top topics

join