It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Letter to Obama from a WWII veteran

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This just more mindless bitching from the right. No solutions, no ideas, just mindless thinly veiled prejudicial bitching. Even if this is a legit letter, who cares... there's nothing there that means anything.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

You don't have to justify your wasted years my friend; the fact you did not have the courage to, speaks volumes.

Semper

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

And as soon as the author of the letter in the OP (or anyone else for that matter) can explain to me which of our freedoms were threatened by the following wars:

Lebanon Conflict
Cuban Conflict
Vietnam
Second Dominican Republic Conflict
Operation Powerpack
2nd Korean War
Contra War
Libya Conflict
First Action in the Gulf of Sidra
Second Action in the Gulf of Sidra
1986 bombing of Libya
Third Action in the Gulf of Sidra
Grenada
Operation Urgent Fury
Iran/Iraq War
Panama
Gulf War
Iraq War (bush sr.)
Somalia Civil War
Haitian Rebellion
Kosovo
2nd Iraq War (bush jr)

i'll give you eternal gratitude for fighting for my freedoms.

Until then - you get zilch until you earn it. Putting on a uniform and carrying a weapon does nothing for you. You say it takes guts...i say it doesn't. You get a paycheck, meals, signing bonus, to play with cool guns and weapons, and a career.

Yes...you get shot at...but Police officers as well, so do Repo men.

What sets a soldier apart should be their humility and humanity. Something i see a lot less of from our modern soldier.

You all seem too eager to shove it in the rest of our faces that you think we're lesser Americans because we didnt' "serve"

I serve my country every April when i pay for your salary.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

How can you, who has never been patriotic enough to risk anything, qualified to question those that have?

Typical mentality

Semper

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

There are of course even cowards in uniform.. I've known a few, you should be able to recognize them easily enough..

Semper

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

How can you, who has never been patriotic enough to risk anything, qualified to question those that have?

Typical mentality

Semper

Its striking...the complete disregard for "denying ignorance" that comes from your condescending tones and mannerisms. Someone doesn't matter unless they served in the Military?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
While I would prefer to see well documented research posted on ATS like it used to be, (instead of unverified chain letters), I feel the need to point out that Harold B. Estes is a real person. You can easily find his address and number to verify it.

While you are doing that you will perhaps notice that he elected to serve in the Navy, not just in the WWII, but he continued to serve the country until he retired in 1955.

During WWII he was placed in a highly respected position on the USS Missouri. The battleship that served as a platform where Japan surrendered.

After his retirement he contined to earn respect within the Naval community. You can verify this respect by noticing that he was given multiple awards from the Secretary of the Navy even after his retirement.

He earned so much respect by his actions that a few simple spoken words from him provided the catalyst to move the USS Missouri from an out of sight mothball dock in Washington to a public museum at Pearl Harbor where you can now visit the USS Missouri to this day.

In 2004 a local TV station did a documentary on him, and the US Navy held a special ceremony for him aboard the USS Missouri.

[edit on 11/27/09 by makeitso]

link   

Because I went to college, got involved in business, make a very nice living, and never wasted my time with being an indentured servant for the rich and the elite carrying a rifle to oppress people. I know you're all excited because you came from a rural background where all of that is drilled into you. However, in the real world the military is just pawns to an insidious group of the elite who war, oppress, and destroy in the name of profit and gain. Wow... you're so awesome to have wasted your time being a nameless faceless pawn, and I'm sure you're rich and well-taken care of because of it.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

link   
reply to post by Snarf

Lebanon Conflict
Cuban Conflict
Vietnam
Second Dominican Republic Conflict
Operation Powerpack
2nd Korean War
Contra War
Libya Conflict
First Action in the Gulf of Sidra
Second Action in the Gulf of Sidra
1986 bombing of Libya
Third Action in the Gulf of Sidra
Grenada
Operation Urgent Fury
Iran/Iraq War
Panama
Gulf War
Iraq War (bush sr.)
Somalia Civil War
Haitian Rebellion
Kosovo
2nd Iraq War (bush jr)

Oh that's right...

You were not at any of them...

As expected

Semper

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by Snarf

There are of course even cowards in uniform.. I've known a few, you should be able to recognize them easily enough..

Semper

So then anyone in uniform who agrees with the radical right wing agenda is a true patriot worthy of praise and admiration.

Anyone in uniform who goes against the right wing agenda is a coward

Im so glad that the ENTIRE military doesn't portray this ignorant line of thinking.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Oh that's right...

You were not at any of them...

oh...thats right....you can't tell me a single freedom of mine that was threatened by them - as to justify our involvement in that war....just like i expected

well - i guess you get no gratitude from me then.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

You are THE MOD for this thread?
Geez, could ATS have picked anyone MORE prejudiced?
So, I take it you were in the military?
And this somehow makes you superior.....how?
This gives you more insight....how?
This give you more knowledge of foreighn policy....how?
This makes you some kind of ultra patriotic super citizen ....how?
jeez H ! you are really something!

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Oh that's right you dodged the question because you can't accept the reality. Unless you were in the revolutionary war, the civil war, or world war two... what are you talking about? Oh yeah, you're trying to justify your wasted life and putting that on all of us. As if we should look up to you or care. Well good job solider, congrats for serving the same groups that have gotten us into the same mess we are now.

And for the record, I truly believe those people in Panama were threatening out freedom of speech.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It is not those whom did not serve that have and get no respect..

It is those with no respect that get none.

Understand that?

You obviously got turned down for some reason, I can only imagine what that might be, and now you hate all things better than you.. ie.. military people.

My guess is you are a Cop hater as well.

You have no respect, so you can expect none; especially from those that stood up when you did not. (Speaks volumes yes)

That letter is from a man you don't deserve to shine his shoes; simple and factual. Not because you did not serve, could not or were afraid to, but because you have no respect for what he did.

Proof?

Your very existence is proof. The fact you have the freedom to disrespect that which you know nothing about, is proof. The fact that you hate that which you can not do, is proof.

You my friend, are living proof that this man deserves the respect he gets from those that have the courage to stand up, speak out and respect those that have served.

Semper

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have a SOURCE for you skeptics on the authenticity. It's the same letter.

www.snopes.com...

[edit on 27-11-2009 by av8r007]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
[
I guess the 300 million non-military Americans in this country should just stop paying taxes then....see how many people sign up for the military if they're not getting paid for it

Hurrah to the old guy !
and
Double Hurrah to "stop paying taxes"...
but a huge thumbs down to disrespecting elders, and Vets.
That's just asking for really bad karma to hit a person real fast.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Let's break this down every military action of the last 50 years...

Some people in a third world country get pissed that their resources or culture is being controlled or manipulated by Western Influences

Political Negotiations fail or we just want to try out our new toys

The military invades and drops bombs on the people who are annoyed they're being manipulated by outside influences in their own land.

We murder anyone who doesn't agree with our point of view or are willing to submit to us.

And then the ones who contributed to the murder and coercion come back here and rant at us about freedom.

Makes sense to me

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Your very existence is proof. The fact you have the freedom to disrespect that which you know nothing about, is proof. The fact that you hate that which you can not do, is proof.

no. My existence is proof that my mother and father had the tools to procreate.

World War 2...Revolutionary War...THOSE WERE WARS that the U.S.of.A was fighting for her very life.

All of those others that i listed were wars i asked you to tell us what freedoms were threatened ...and you STILL can't do it.

I love my country, and FYI - i am a police officer, have been for four years. I didn't try out for the military...its not my thing. I have family in the military, and love them dearly, just like i love my country.

What i don't like is seeing pissed off old veterans telling regular citizens that they are worthless pieces of crap because they never served.

You represent your country, military, and self with about as much respect as you represent the motto of this website.

And that is very, very, poorly.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Makes sense to me

It wouldn't

Please don't feel troubled, I petition you to relax in your confusion...

You can not possibly understand, it is simply not within you.

Semper

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I have told you what freedoms were threatened..

I am sorry that in your anger and frustration over not having stood up, that you can not read comprehensively what I have written.

That is a common thing however and you should not worry too much about it either.

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join