It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto Humane Society officials arrested, face animal-cruelty charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
When the Humane Society fails to do what is expected, it comes as a hard blow:

The Toronto Humane Society’s president and chief veterinarian are facing criminal charges of animal cruelty for running a dysfunctional shelter where animals were allegedly denied food and water and left to die suffering in their cages.

The charges against volunteer president Tim Trow, veterinarian Steve Sheridan and three other senior officials came six months after a Globe and Mail investigation uncovered widespread allegations of problems at the River Street facility.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

I understand we are in difficult times, but there is no excuse for inaction. If the money to care for abandoned pets has run out, the ideal method is a cry for monetary help, not hiding animals which were suffering from neglect or silence on the issue.

There is no justifyable excuse.

Yes, I support hunting and do eat meat, so I'm not an animal activist. On the other hand, I despise cruelty to animals whether it is happening in factory farms, slaughter houses or even trapping practices.

Pets are a special case. These animals are bred and raised to live in close proximity to us. The Toronto Humane Society has dug a deep hole for themselves and I sincerely hope that they are able to explain what happened ajnd have the charges dropped.

If not, my faith in them will be severely diminished.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
There can be no excuse for this. It sickens me to see neglect from the very people charged with the care of these animals.

It's my hope that this can be cleared up and the proper care given to these animals. I too, am far from being an animal activist but there can be no excuse for cruelty to animals whether in homes, slaughter house or shelters. If they were so short on money then the proper course is to ask for help from the public. I'm certain they would have received it. Our local shelter is always asking for help and always receives it.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
When the Humane Society fails to do what is expected, it comes as a hard blow...

The Toronto branch has been 'running rogue' for some time now, based upon an anti-euth policy laid down by the board. All this is just the logical extension, and amongst caring people, things got out of hand.

I don't think anyone was intentionally cruel...just brutally naive. They still need to take their smacks for the consequences...IMHO.

join