It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. man jailed after housing homeless on ranch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

A California rancher who houses homeless people on his property chose to serve 90 days in jail rather than accept probation after being convicted of misdemeanor safety violations.
Dan de Vaul says the terms of probation offered Monday would prevent him from sheltering about 30 people who reside at his ranch and participate in a substance abuse recovery program.

The 66-year-old de Vaul says he is proud to go to jail for housing the homeless. About 30 supporters applauded as he was led out of court in handcuffs.

Judge John Trice says officials have offered to help de Vaul bring his property up to code, but he would not accept assistance.

A jury in San Luis Obispo convicted him of two misdemeanors for violations of building and safety code.

www.elpasotimes.com...

I don't get Cali

First the state goes bankrupt
so what do they do? They make garage sales unlawful
then a huge garage sales occurs in Cali and people get reprimanded in various forms

and now this
doesn't make much sense

It's like "we are bankrupt so you must stay that way"

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I don't live in california, but the general idea I get from people who have is this" If the state doesn't specifically say it's right , then it's always wrong."

They don't seem to like people thinking for themselves.

When they want your opinion, they will give it to you.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
If we help each other - then we have found a way to escape
the "social prison" that has been put in place to keep us under control.

BS

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Nail on head ,spink.

Well said.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The other point is it was a jury trial. The point of civil disobedience we can control in a jury trial should not be lost.

I'd have never been able to convict a man for helping others.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
There are good people in California. Hopefully they can turn some eyes and hearts with their charity.

San Luis Obispo County juror bails out rancher she helped convict

After Dan De Vaul was sentenced to 90 days in jail for illegally housing tenants on his sober living property, Mary Partin felt guilty about her votes -- to the tune of $5,000.

It won't be three hots and a cot on Thanksgiving for San Luis Obispo rancher Dan De Vaul, who was sentenced to 90 days in jail earlier this week for illegally housing tenants on his property.

De Vaul, 66, will enjoy turkey with all the trimmings after being bailed out Tuesday by one of the jurors who convicted him of two misdemeanor violations. Mary Partin, who posted De Vaul's $5,000 bail, told reporters that she regretted her guilty votes and wanted to help him.

SLO businessman makes De Vaul challenge

SLO businessman Kyle Wiens made a public pledge Wednesday night to donate $4,000 to Dan De Vaul and Sunny Acres, challenging 99 other local businesses to match his gift.

Wiens is founder and CEO of iFixit, a local company specializing in Mac and iPod repair. In a widely-circulated email, Wiens expressed disappointment over De Vaul’s being sent to county jail Monday morning.

“Sunny Acres is one of the best examples I’ve ever heard of for work-based rehabilitation and has achieved a remarkably low recidivism rate,” said Wiens in his email. “They are a model that should be supported, encouraged, and emulated. Instead our county government has shut him down.”

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
After Dan De Vaul was sentenced to 90 days in jail for illegally housing tenants on his sober living property, Mary Partin felt guilty about her votes -- to the tune of $5,000.

Good! If Guilt works...
And - yea what about that conviction by trial of his peers? Whoa.
Nothing like turning us against each other.

It should have never come to this.
The state raped someone for 5,000 for what?
For helping?
Despicable critters.

We need to remember.
We are not someone elses property.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I don't know the whole story, but despite the rancher having presumably good intentions, there are ways to do what he intends to do within the bounds of the law.

Granted there may be certain zoning laws against lodging thirty people on his ranch for drug rehab, but even if that is true and I don't know that it is, there are plenty of ways for those who feel compelled to do so to help people with problems in living.

It is possible to have good intentions and still run afoul of the law.

It is good that a juror was able to see both sides and had the means to bail the man out.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I applaud his intention, but there are codes for safety reasons. Had this been a story about a lady giving 30 cats a home, but the conditions were not good, people would be all over her, that she should not have the cats.

He has been offered help to code, but refused. Why? Pride ? Well now he goes to jail and the 30 are homeless again.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Okay, so I'm guessing the charges were for "code violations" for "occupancy" on his property, and he subsequently refused to fork over (at least) a few 100 thousand to "bring it up to code".

Funny, how that works. A man can't utilize his small private property to help those in need, and the state of California does nothing about it's overwhelming homeless population. Where people live on the streets and die on the streets, where they don't have to worry about "occupancy code" BECAUSE THEY LIVE ON THE GOD DAMNED STREETS.

So how does that work? I'm pretty sure California probably holds one of the nation's worst homeless rates, and it has always been famous for the place where dreams go to die. Where is the Federal Government on this one? The state of California cannot properly house it's homeless and obviously exceeds it's occupancy quotas... Where are the fines and arrests? Shouldn't the governor be arrested for failing to provide the state with emergency programs instead of corporate back-scratching programs?

Shouldn't people be hanged for spending money on "parks" and "litter programs", etc., when people are dying on the streets of California because of a failing preventative welfare infrastructure and a complete lack of lower and middle class support...? Yeah, must be the Mexican illegal immigrants fault...

[edit on 26-11-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Yeah, he didn't meet "code" and had "safety violations". Now the homeless are going to live on the streets, or wherever they end up. Some use that "safety code" did, huh?

That's what it's about..? The safety of the occupants.. Really? That's the major concern? Safety for the residents?

Glad California intervened on this one, or else the unsafe structure could have collapsed and left everyone without a place to live.. oh wait.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Yeah, he turned it down. But for what reasons? You can't automatically assume that what he's done is negative, especially considering all the good he's apparently done. They don't offer the terms of their proposal for everybody to see, it could of been anything.

Pride isn't always a bad thing. Having pride in something right, and good isn't a bad thing at all.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Alesanjin

My guess is that he turned money down from the government because it comes with all sort of new requirements and stipulations for him to follow. You don't think he is going to get governmet money without them getting their beloved control do you?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I applaud his intention, but there are codes for safety reasons. .

So the streets are more up to code and "safer" than a ranch and someone who is giving them a place to sleep and the opportunity to get clean?

Sorry I don't see how living on the streets is acceptable but this is not.
It's nonsense.
It's control.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

A California rancher who houses homeless people on his property chose to serve 90 days in jail rather than accept probation after being convicted of misdemeanor safety violations.
Dan de Vaul says the terms of probation offered Monday would prevent him from sheltering about 30 people who reside at his ranch and participate in a substance abuse recovery program.

The 66-year-old de Vaul says he is proud to go to jail for housing the homeless. About 30 supporters applauded as he was led out of court in handcuffs.

Judge John Trice says officials have offered to help de Vaul bring his property up to code, but he would not accept assistance.

A jury in San Luis Obispo convicted him of two misdemeanors for violations of building and safety code.

www.elpasotimes.com...

I don't get Cali

First the state goes bankrupt
so what do they do? They make garage sales unlawful
then a huge garage sales occurs in Cali and people get reprimanded in various forms

and now this
doesn't make much sense

It's like "we are bankrupt so you must stay that way"

illegal to open up your farm and sell eggs and lettuce and such.....
youll get a 1500 fine and go to jail. Breaking tax laws, breaking saftey laws, food regulation...

its not just cali. its coming to you

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
There are good people in California. Hopefully they can turn some eyes and hearts with their charity.

San Luis Obispo County juror bails out rancher she helped convict

Please excuse my language -- this freakin' bitch had a chance to do the right thing and vote "not guilty". She decided to play along with the gov and brought the power of the state down on a citizen. Now she wants to do the right thing??? WTF is wrong with these GD people?? Seriously.

We are living at the the end of the American empire. The very least we can do is to keep the system from screwing innocent, justice-minded Americans. Does that make any sense to you??

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Originally posted by amatrine
I applaud his intention, but there are codes for safety reasons. .

So the streets are more up to code and "safer" than a ranch and someone who is giving them a place to sleep and the opportunity to get clean?

Sorry I don't see how living on the streets is acceptable but this is not.
It's nonsense.
It's control.

I completely agree with you on that
and it's not only control, seeing some how are responding it may also be about conditioning.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Its a crime against humanity to punish someone for helping his felow man.
The California judicial system should be put on trial.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

What a stupid lady! Oh she bailed him out after feeling guilty so that makes it ok? Pathetic. The scariest thing in the world is being tried by your average ignorant American citizen.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Or it just could be that this man has been preying on homeless and drug addicted young people for years and keeping them isolated on a remote run down ram shackle ranch far outside the city proper, taking what little money and what else they may have and make or provide and not providing a safe place or a steady diet in return.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join