It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many here belong to 12 step programs???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I would be interested in hearing from people such as myself who are currently active in 12 step programs.. I am a member of AA and have been clean and sober for 20 years now. I have met a lot of interesting people in the "program" and have also met lots of people from all walks of life and from all over the world. AA saved my life, and it introduced me to a journey I couldn't phathom at the time and that was a journey into my spirituality which has been one of wonder and beauty so far. My questions to you are these...

How has the 12 step program you are in changed your life??

What would you have done differently in your spiritual journey up til now??

Do you have any regrets??

The program has saved my life like I said. It has turned my life right around. At the time, my buddies were dreaming fast cars,women and money. I was dreaming of having a normal life..Wife, kids, house with white picket fence etc...I got all that now. The only thing i would do differently up till now ould have been to listen to my gut instinct and not rushed into certain things. Other than that i have no regrets. I am hoping to genereate some serious discussion about this...talkin to ya soon....

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ARNOMANNN

I'm in AA but I'm far from being a poster boy for the program because
I still battle the demons and slip from time to time. Still It's so much better than being in jail, trouble, sick and tired, poor, scared & lonely all the time. I give all the credit to AA for helping me gain some perspective and by and large, able to go thru life with a little grace and style.

Before I was so self absorbed with my addictions; there was no room for anything else in life. Now I know what "Easy does it" really means.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well, you are here and you are alive. Keep coming back my friend. Maybe I will see you at a meeting If you are ever in the Niagara Falls area. As for slipping, I can't talk to that since I haven't since I came around to AA. I hope and pray you find contented sobriety

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Thank you my brother. And thanks for starting this thread and please allow me to join with you in inviting anyone struggling with substance abuse to join hands with us and take 12 short steps to sanity and into reality.

I resisted the program thinking I could think myself sober. I couldn't.
There is something about the fellowship that makes it work. Put aside you
preconceived notions and allow the magic to happen.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
what makes it work is the act of freely giving the gift of life that was so freely given to us. There is strength in numbers and knowing you are not alone helps......I tried to quit once and it was as futile as trying to hold back a team of horses from pulling me. I couldn't do it. One of my favourite slogans is " I didn't quit I surrendered" Most of the happiest people I have met are in the program, which is kinda sad actually in a way. It seems we have to go through so much pain and suffering to find our true selves and become happy with who we are and what we have

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

My best friend (we have known each other all our lives and are more like brothers) struggled with alcoholism for most of his adult life.

At first I tried to help him but after about ten years I was simply at a loss as to what to do... When sober, he is the best friend you could ever have... kind, generous, thoughtful... When drunk, he was a completely different character. It got to a point were alcohol had consumed him... even when sober it was all that was on his mind. He would turn up at my house drunk, full asleep on the sofa for a while, and then wake up and ask me if I wanted to go to the pub with him.

I am deeply ashamed to say that eventually I turned my back on him... I cut him off and refused to contact him for years. I had a family to think about, so I guess I was being selfish, and I didn’t want a negative influence in my life.

Anyway about a year ago I received a phone call from him... immediately I could tell there was a difference. It was like talking to my old friend again.

Turns out that he had joined the AA and was on a 12 step programme... Part of his programme was to confront the demons from his past and say sorry to people he felt he had hurt. I couldn’t believe it... There was I thinking it was me who had been the lesser friend and my friend was convinced it was him.

Since that phone call we are closer than ever... we often meet up for chats and go shooting together... I have learnt so much about the 12 step programme that if ever I knew someone else who was having trouble I would recommend it to them immediately. Like you, ARNOMANNN, it has saved his life.
What I have learnt about the 12 step programme, through my friend, has also made me better equipped to deal with this issue should anyone else I know suffer from Alcoholism.

He has come so far since those early days and everyone is extremely proud of him.

It has also given my baby Son the best Godfather anyone could ever wish for!

whaaa

Sorry to hear that you are struggling my friend... Stick with the programme... it REALLY does work.

I know I am not in the Brotherhood... so i apologise for busting into your conversation like this... but just wanted to tell the story in case anyone else out there is having problems.

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

No apologies required my friend. That is why I posted this....

People often turn to drugs and alcohol when times get tough....Like right about now. Add to that the holiday season for some can be depressing and you have a recipe for a personal disaster. I posted this to learn from others in a 12 step program....and also to teach those who may need help themselves or know someone who does...Glad to hear about your friend, that's awesome. You did the right thing by turning your back on him. Once a persons score card reaches zero that is when they usually realize they need help. Friends often stick around trying to help but more often than not they become enablers for those who are drinking....

top topics

join