It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abstinence and the development of intuitive gifts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I have a recently renewed interest in spirituality. Was inclined towards being spiritual, like most, as a child and growing up. I had a falling out in recent years. Without getting into that part, lets just say that recently I've been opening back up to this path.

Some people insist that becoming sexually abstinent is essential for developing spiritual gifts into adulthood. I had out of body experiences, far sight, and spiritual understanding as a kid that I want back and am willing to take this step if necessary.

The question is if anyone has gone this route, and if they've personally experienced a fruition in spiritual gifts, or intuitions.

edit to: add the specific act to be abstinent of; sexuality.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
As a Hindu astrologer, I can say it works for some people. Me included. The important thing is to abstain from something that would matter to you and especially from one that dissolves your boundaries. Like pot, for example - naturally heavier drugs would not even come to this topic.
I benefited greatly in spiritual ways - including intuition - when I decided it was long overdue for me to stop that altogether. It' already almost ten years and I think it is OK for others to smoke around me. I like the fragrance but I do not want to give up my status as a nonsmoker. After some years, my intuition and states of mind really developed differently than before. There are short-term sacrifices and long-term gains which accumulate.

Alcohol never did it for me - so it does not matter greatly if I drink a glass of wine or not. I never enjoyed being drunk so it is not a great temptation for me. If it is for someone, they can practice becoming non-drinkers and find happiness tha way.
It is an eighth-house matter to realise your intuition and to give up addictions.
Sex - in some years it is important, then it is less so. Anyway, I recommend trying to learn tantric sex if you have a partner. Anyway, it is a matter of connecting to people and to your partner - if you have children, the whole thing is different with awareness. If you do not have a partner, and decide on serious spirituality, it is a good idea to abstain. All writings say that. This does not mean you should not have sexual thoughts but that you can stop acting upon them. They pass away if unnourished.

For me quitting accepting joints was a big thing and ever since then I am enjoying the fact of choice. Before I did not have a choice over my own mental states, and pot was the most friendly one to me. But such friends are dangerous. It is better to feel less great in the present and try to have those non-smoking states of mind evolve...

My two cents.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just remember that you become extra sensitive down there and any loose clothing could cause spontaneous ejaculation. I believe it might actually be unhealthy not relieving ones self. I heard it leads to prostrate cancer but I have seen no medical evidence of it.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperFoxBat

I've read mixed reports on the prostate cancer. Some say it increases it, while others say there is no increase or actually a decrease. As weird as it may seem, I'm willing to take the risk if there is benefit. I used to be highly intuitive, and am still somewhat so, but not nearly as I used to be. I miss that side of me dearly.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kokatsi

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific, this was meant towards sexual abstinence. I have recently been going on and off certain herbals due to being on probation for a DWI. That has given me a greater respect for myself and increased motivation overall. I use to be unable to not partake in certain rituals on a daily basis without drastic negative reactions. My biochemistry seems much more stable these days, and I'm thankful for that.

Alcohol has never really been an issue for me. I have drank heavily in the past, but also been able to go long periods of time without it and not have it be a bother. Interestingly, I'm the same way with cigarettes. I smoked daily for 7 years. One day, I just said no more. That was that. I still smoke on occasion when I get a buzz from alcohol, but the addiction never was.

Astrology interests me. I u2u'd you some personal information. Was wondering if you could post a report here, if you don't mind. If you haven't the time, no biggie. Was just curious to see if my eighth house is a noted strength, or something to be particularly focused on.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
You might reach a point where you see the allure that lust has and see it for what it is, like an addiction. Sure its fun and pleasurable, like any addiction if you know what I mean.. but it sort of has a sour after taste for me. I don't engage in sexual activity that is solely centered on lust, for one I don't like it, and I can do without it. I almost encourage you to see how far you can take lust while trying to be aware of how it affects you, i'm a bit of an extremist that way... if you aren't that self-aware as you'd like to be, it makes it easier.

Anyways.. i've found that like an addiction there is like a threshold.. like 3 days... after that lust doens't have its allure.

I was having this discussion with a friend, he thought I was crazy and resisting something. I was explaining that I was ignoring, and there was no struggle. Another thing is if I don't have an orgasm or we'll say like a week, there will be a certain different appreciation of beauty..hard to explain, but its good, and there is no struggle. If you are struggling, fix it, whatever it takes, meditation or the "old fashioned way".

But yeah there deffinately are benefits I must say. I notice an increase in energy and confidence that is signifigant... and also a certain creative energy.. you think about how people are tired after sex.. its like a big impulse has been fufilled..the need to exchange "creative energies".. actually on that note, I find when there is no'one to exchange it with that therein lies a reason of dissatisfaction as well.. its like subconsciously knowing the energy was wasted. But I find I'm less creative, more passive and docile, etc etc..

Basically.. try it as an experiment, for me, i really like it but i don't follow it seriously. But i'll go for weeks until "novelty" wins. But in that time I feel amazing,.. like confident, energetic, and creative. I know there is a well of energy down there. I knew that when I started qi gong and felt strong electrical shocks and bubbling just as the lessons described. There is a well of energy, SOMETHING.

But yeah.. for me, its not hard.. I mean, I don't get carried away with lustful thoughts but it took some understanding to get to that. It comes simple, with little resistance. Don't torture yourself. And if you feel like its too much, see if you can distribute that energy throughout you. I actually find that below the navel, when charged has this effect that really charges all the chakra areas. Qi Gong in particular is the best way for me to meditate personaly, with the certain breathing and energy circuits.

Also, when I went to peru we were told to keep in our sexual energy before taking part in a certain ceremony. There is some hardcore shaman training down there. These guys identified as true shamans go like a year without any sexual activity of any kind. And yes.. supposedly it opens them to certain "gifts" on occasion.

I just see it as an overflow of energy, superchargeing and expanding the energy body.. we're so used to just dumping this energy.. but its hard not to when you let it get stagnant and really attached to the material.

Anyways, thats my rambling rant.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have to disagree. Abstinence is torture for most men. Our biological, physiological and psychological functions begin to take strain and this affects our mood and cognitive functioning. There have been tests conducted that found men are generally more alert, more patient, less violent and happier when their sexual urges have been resolved. The big misconception is that we desire sex and want it only for pleasure. The truth is that the biological factor (testosterone build-up) plays a huge role in this.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Sexual activity does drain more than the body. It is also a debilitating problem to those who seek things beyond the physical veil. When sex is combined with real love and healthy attitudes towards physicality, it can also be a transcendant experience. It is both a path and a stumbling block to those looking for visions or the paranormal. What important is that you do not dwell upon it, mentally it keeps you grounded to the physical realm and keeps your spirit bound within. When love and sex happen mutually, abstinence would be a senseless denial of bliss for both you and another person. Only avoid sex is there is not a deep, mutual love between you. Self-denial is a whole different kettle of fish altogether.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

And a damn fine rant it was too. You described my personality to the "T". Run with it as far as it will go, it's a hard way to learn sometimes but man, it's a rush to get out on an edge where you've never been before.
People (americans, in my experience - which is limited) have the most unhealthy, hung-up attitudes about sex. People aren't creative or daring enough, and also have too little regard for their partners wishes as they're too worried about gettting "theirs". At any rate you struck a chord with me. Great post.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Depends what 'system' you are practicing, and why you feel the need. Personally, I think it's a form of extremism. Sure, some say that you can channel that 'energy' upwards and awaken the chakras, but I really don't know about that.

I had one of my most amazing spiritual encounters of my life when I was making love. We had a simultaneous out of body experience, where we were just 2 balls of light, hovering in space.... it was fantastic.

Nothing is more life affirming than sex. It is how life (in the form of us) perpetuates.

Like with so many things, it all comes down to balance, and the acceptance of consequences.

If you want to try it, there's nothing wrong with that. But I'd hate to see you make a decision you feel like you SHOULD do, not that you WANT to do, just based on some crazy yogis who may have just been rationalizing some aspect of their antisocial personalities.

I'm an acupuncturist. In Chinese Medicine, the belief exists that some of the body's essense, or Jing, is released when we ejaculate. They literally think that too much sex will for that reason hasten death. (for the record, I think it's a silly concept). They don't at all advocate abstinence, however. Just moderation. Eating can be overdone, as can exercise, or other things that are fundamentally good, or even necessary.

Dunno man. Sorry if this comes off like crapping on your idea. Once upon a time, I was pretty devoted to yoga, meditation, vegetarianism, living without any mind altering substances, etc.... and after a couple of years, I was miserable. I woke up one day and realized that there is nothing at all wrong with sensual pleasures. You wouldn't exist if it weren't for their existence. It was like I just found myself on a nude beach wearing tighty whities... so I freed myself.

Good luck.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueTruth

Oh it's cool No crapping on my idea. I don't hold onto the belief that it will do much of anything. It was just an experiment. I am somewhat antisocial. Haven't had a relationship in a long time. Don't plan on having one anytime soon. I lack social intuition, and most people bore me.

I've tried this before actually. Twice. First time I lasted two weeks. Last time I lasted three weeks. Thought maybe that wasn't long enough for the intuitive effects to come about. I did notice an increase in energy. At first it was very pleasant, but after a couple of weeks each time it became very frustrating. The release was amazing each time. Lets just keep it at that!

I want to experiment and see if I can make it a few months this time. If I start getting frustrated, I'll just spend some time meditating. Luckily, I'm priveledged to be without a job. I can spend as much time as necessary to meditate, alone, in darkness and silence.

Funny you mention mind-altering substances as a means to free ones self. I find the exact opposite to be true! Before I started using certain herbal substances, I had oobe's, and sipiritual understanding. Shortly after I started, that went away. So much that I entirely forgot about them for years! Now I'm trying to be entirely drug free and remain sexually abstinent in hopes that I can free my mind once again.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I'm glad you didn't take what I said badly. I have a habit of offending without really meaning to. It's just my personality to be a bit blunt.

I respect what you are desiring to do, and who knows? You may get something out of it. I can't really know, as I never tried it.

Also, I don't mean to laud the use of drugs....but I DO think there's room for it in this life. It's like a gift from nature. It's ok to embrace a little hedonism from time to time. And yes, it can interfere with certain things; certain subtle perceptions....The worst for me is the way pot makes it impossible for me to remember my dreams, which is my primary link to my higher mind. I can't have that as a normal state of being - makes me feel lost.

I guess I've just lost, for now, the interest in the pursuit. I got so busy and drained with school (the acupuncture program) that I just didn't have the energy to care. And, I think that just engaging in the struggle of trying to manifest this dream of mine IS my spiritual struggle; there's no true contradiction between the physical and the spiritual; they are one. I'm sure there will come a time when I desire it again, but no more forcing it. I was driven my too much 'should', and I was far to defferant to guru types. I learned a lot, I'm glad I did it, but it needed to come to a close for a time.

As Merton said, faith waxes and wanes. It's a natural cycle, like the tides. We all have a foot in two worlds, whether we know it or not. At times, demands of one or the other demand our total focus.....or, maybe I just suck at balance. (well, THAT much i am certain of).

Well, I wish you all the best in your experiment. If nothing else, those kinds of things strengthen our will, and clarify our purpose in the process. I hope it brings you joy.

be well!!!

[edit on 27-11-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
Just remember that you become extra sensitive down there and any loose clothing could cause spontaneous ejaculation. I believe it might actually be unhealthy not relieving ones self. I heard it leads to prostrate cancer but I have seen no medical evidence of it.

I firmly believe that males need to relieve themselves for there own health. This energy i feel turns negative to your body if you do not.

On the op question, yep it helps, but i never really wanted a gift per-say, you just have something. But most are like me and do not try to push it further.

In teen years your sexual energies first start obviously and this si where you will find any gift may come to the fore. People usually end up having some sort of sex life, so the energies responsible for this normally is put to one side.

But this is why you find the idea of ancient cultures sacrificing kids as they enter puberty and babies who do not have the sexual energy but alot of life force.

Alot is hidden from the public in regard to this stuff, but its a personal thing, whether you want to do this path. This is why you will find the best priests are the ones who can be abstinent and ok with it at same time. If your not sexually active most people do lose alot of there drive, but some do not.

But i would advise any male, relieve yourself often if you do this, as the energy like i said can turn negative, and its bad for you.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueTruth

I'm glad you didn't take what I said badly. I have a habit of offending without really meaning to. It's just my personality to be a bit blunt.

As do I! It's part of the socially inept aspect of my personality. I actually greatly appreciate honesty. I would rather someone tell me I smell like trash, and look like #, than tell me I'm some beautiful, perfect eternal soul, destined for greatness. The latter seems like a form of control, while the former is much more real and caring.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Same with me too, just rather me up front, and also cannot stand two faced peopel and remarks, why not just say it.

Also on compliments, i absolutely hated them all my life, and people noticed this in me, and i am glad. I do not want my ego given anything, i would rather people just be sh1t with me, then pay me compliments. I am sure there is a term for this as there are for so many, but i do not care.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I like both. I like honesty and integrity and a commitment to truth. Me and my wife can get incredibly angry with each other from time to time - we don't see eye to eye when it comes to things like, spirituality or topics like the NWO...and her insistence on finding the weakness in my position used to infuriate me.

But you know what? Often, she was right. And ultimately, I'm glad. I'm a lot less paranoid in my confrontation of these topics now that I've learned to realize more that I may be mistaken, or taking things too far.

And, we manage to have these disagreements without ever resorting to cussing or yelling at each other. There's a line that we will not cross, and it allows these arguments to blow by quickly, no matter how intense.

Compliments are important. Short example: a study done by behaviorists involving kids in a home for juvenile delinquents was used for the research. it was observed that simply by giving a child 3 compliments per day, no matter what about, their behavior demonstrably improved. I'm big into behaviorism. Without praise, people never figure out what to do. It's essential in the process of shaping desirable behaviors, and helping people to recognize and unlock their talents.

So..... good for you that you value truth! That's an admirable quality!

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

for a bunch of years i remained abstinate... because that part of life was a distraction.
but then again i was into Yoga & fitness & training for a possible Olympic position on the US wrestling Team...so i had a lot of physical release for those energies.

As for using Celebacy or shorter term Abstinance as a keyway for developing things like intuition... i think that attribute is something one is born with...whereas becoming a developed Empath is something one has to constantly work on -> and that attribute may well need Celebacy as a condition for Empathy to become one's driving spirit.

Intuition does need a clear concise mind uncluttered with 'stuff'...
so if sex or sexuality becomes a driving force, for whatever reason or whatever rationalization, One will deviate from their primary path.
~however long that 'path' may last~

repeat until you have reached the right consistancy

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Let me try to be as Concise and Unambiguous as possible with such a subject.

No1 can Love You like You Do, until you find Someone that is willing to Learn.

There was that so hard? I really don't believe it is. That applies to Males, Females, and Undecided. It also applies to Homo-, Hetero-, and Bi- sexuals.

I certainly don't intend this post to be Hostile, so please don't Misinterpret it. Just remember that it takes Different Strokes

And now I think I've finished my thinly veiled sexual references.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I don't believe in spirituality. But I've gone through this process & I'd say it helps develop intellectual talents. Eventually, you get to a point where you aren't attracted to anybody that's stupid or assertive & wants you beween their legs like female gorrillas wanting to reproduce with male gorrillas. Of course, such people most often have health issues, hygiene issues, urges to have control over others, etc.

I remember since i was a kid I was manipulated very often by people I didn't even like. They'd just start bluffing about having ailments, gossipping, hinting at others about me, giving me indirect hints, using wits, using assertive whims, & using innuendos to manipulate me or make me look any way they wanted (even if they failed to befriend, attract or seduce me). It was done so they could rise up the social ladder, improve their own reputaton, etc. I'd say what affected me wasn't abstinence as much as having to learn to be cautious in order to stay alive & not be preyed upon. Even a few months ago I was asked to leave my family to meet some chick I don't even know. But I've learned long ago how dangerous sich encounters are from neighbors & relatives who were played by females that way. They got their own hard earned stuff usurped, or it turned out the girl belonged to some criminal gang (in some cases, the gang leader's own girlfriend) who got the guy to the place where they wanted him, then beat him halfway dead, then robbed his stuff (his motorcycle, wristwatch, credit cards, any gold/silver), then left him for dead, & then used that money to keep running their black market business. In many cases, the victim ends up dead. And the big loot is carried out on that specific night because the guy was told to bring money or other things to help the girlfriend for some problem that came up.

I'd say I'm now trained against getting into most of such situations. Except sometimes people can make me look like I'm their friend or am attrcated to them. Even if they're people who I consider really nasty, physically/sexually unattractive, & hardly pay attention to. Also, people can sometimes make it seem like they are very successful at seducing me or being smarter, healthier or stronger than me in many ways when they're still failing miserably at whatever they're trying. In such cases, until recently, I didn't figure out what can be done. But to sum it up, it would require me to stop ever contributing anything to their wellness & be willing to outshine them as strongly as they would enjoy overshadowing or manipulating me & others. I don't think its celibacy alone that helps develop the logical way of thinking. Its the use of caution & avoiding too much sympathy, trust, kindness, etc.

But I'm not into spirituality as much as science. Most people I know who are into spirituality & religion get laid more often than those they preach into celibacy, matrimony, engagements, commitments, moral obligations, behavioral standards, emotional standards, & other nasty control mechanisms. If we put it in the most simple words, these control mechanisms are just masked forms of their mating competition.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by killyou]

[edit on 29-11-2009 by killyou]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well I must admit I lasted exactly one week!
Interestingly, what ended it is that I got laid for the first time in nearly two years. I have still not masturbated since I started, and plan on never doing it again. Going without for a certain amount of time increased my testosterone, focus, drive, etc..I became a magnet for certain types of girls.

I can say that going without release for a solid week also greatly improved my ability to perform. She literally remarked that I was amazing and she hadn't a clue how I was able to do what I just did!

The last thing I noticed, is that my dermatitis and alopecia (hair loss) ceased. I read this happens when DHT gets too high, and testosterone get's comparably lowered. Masturbation will do that! Everytime we release DHT skyrockets.

Back on thread, it did help my intuition in certain ways. I play chess, as does my new companion. I was able to focus incredibly well after only 6 days without release. Not only that, I could make out big-picture connections that I would most likely never have seen without. I also intuited the moment I met this girl, that she was someone I wanted; even though she was wearing a thick social mask. I saw the fire in her eyes, and she in mine.

So concluding, I've half-assed abstinence. I gave up masturbation, and will keep sex to once a week. I think this is more than good enough for myself. I have seen definite benefits in a short amount of time.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by unityemissions]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join