It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish Church accused of abuse cover-up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Irish Church accused of abuse cover-up

news.bbc.co.uk

A damning report into child abuse in the Dublin archdiocese has criticised the Catholic Church hierarchy for covering up the abuse.

The report investigated how Church and state authorities handled allegations of child abuse against 46 priests.

It found that the Church placed its own reputation above the protection of children in its care.

It also said that state authorities facilitated the cover-up by allowing the Church to operate outside the law.

Reacting to the report, the current Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said "no words of apology would ever be sufficient" and offe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The "Report of the Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin" covered a period from 1975 to 2004.

It has laid bare a culture of concealment where church leaders prioritised the protection of their own institution above that of vulnerable children in their care.

Victims

The report said the avoidance of public outrage, which would inevitably follow high-profile prosecutions, appeared more important than preventing abusers from repeating their crimes.

Victim Marie Collins: "This is the end of a very long road"

Instead of reporting the allegations to civic authorities, those accused of horrific crimes were systematically shuffled from parish to parish where they could prey on new, unsuspecting victims.

The report stated: "The Dublin archdiocese's pre-occupations in dealing with cases of child sexual abuse, at least until the mid 1990s, were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the Church, and the preservation of its assets."

It also said that the archdiocese "did its best to avoid any application of the law of the state".

It found that four archbishops - John Charles McQuaid who died in 1973, Dermot Ryan who died in 1984, Kevin McNamara who died in 1987, and retired Cardinal Desmond Connell - did not hand over information on abusers.

The report said that authorities in the Dublin archdiocese who were dealing with complaints of child sexual abuse "were all very well educated people".

It added that, considering many of them had qualifications in canon law, and in some cases civil law, their claims of ignorance were "very difficult to accept".

Above the law

Civic authorities in Ireland, especially the police, were also criticised for their cosy relationship with the Church.

Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern: "Persons who committed these dreadful crimes...will continue to be pursued"

The report states that senior members of the force regarded priests as being outside their remit and it claims some police officers reported abuse complaints to Church authorities instead of carrying out their own investigation.

The commissioner of the Irish police, Fachtna Murphy, said it made for "difficult and disturbing reading, detailing as it does many instances of sexual abuse and failure on the part of both Church and State authorities to protect victims".

He added: "The commission has found that in some cases, because of acts or omissions, individuals who sought assistance did not always receive the level of response or protection which any citizen in trouble is entitled to expect from An Garda Síochána (the Irish police).

He said he was "deeply sorry" for the failures.

Cardinal Sean Brady said he was 'deeply ashamed'

The Irish Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern, whose department commissioned the report, called it a "scandal on an astonishing scale" where the "welfare of children counted for nothing".

He vowed to bring those who had carried out the abuse to justice, regardless of the amount of time which had passed.

The Commission's work concentrated on a "representative sample" of complaints made by 320 children against 46 priests, 11 of whom were convicted of sexual assaults on children.

The number of complaints of abuse made by boys was more than double those submitted by girls.

The Commission said it was satisfied that "effective structures and procedures currently in operation" and that all complaints of clerical child sexual abuse are now reported to police.

Thursday's report comes six months after the publication of the Ryan report in May, which took submissions from 2,000 people who said they had suffered physical and sexual abuse while in the care of Catholic-run institutions.

The Ryan report, also known as the report of the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse, found church leaders knew that sexual abuse was "endemic" in boys' institutions.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just remember people not to blame all priests. i lived in ireland for a time in my childhood in the 80's, and our priest was a very nice man, and i was an alter boy, so i knew him quite well.

Remember people do not label everyone as a paedo, like some seem to do.

[edit on 11/26/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i was going to post this earlier but didnt have time...i live in n.ireland and the outrage this has caused can be heard in every where.. the abuse of these children is just terrible..
the fact that the police turned a blind eye to what was happening appalls me..
everyone involved from the priests to the police that covered it up should be named and throne in jail...
throwing money at the victims to # them up is not enough, they need jailed...
when i was young we where always joking if you dont stop messing about you will end up in a home, if i new the horrors that where happening inside this homes i would have cryed my eyes out...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Though i would add that anyone who is guilty and is sure, should be prosecuted.

I do not understand like many how any one could do such things, but thats the world we live in, and this happens all over the world,a nd just remember this is not about only ireland and priests.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I find it absolutely disgusting, that the Catholic Curch has went out of its way to cover up, these appaling abuses, or even went out of its way to try and keep those victims quiet.

What Moralle Authority does the Catholic Church have any more?

None as far as I am concerned.

As for the Police, well it does not surprise one at all that they were complicit in the cover up. Scum as far as one is concerned.

My Heart goes out to those Victims, whom have had to live with this. Or whom have occuring nightmares as a result.

No amount of money cannot heal the wounds of those abused. Those invovled need to be brought to justice.

Willl it happen, sadly no, the Vatican, plus those inpower will make sure this does not happen.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
im wondering how many of these abuse victims committed suicide or went on to abuse others because of the horrible things done to them..
to be abused by those representing god must rip apart your grasp on reality...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
the house of satan has been exposed on a grand scale and not before time. i just wonder if there will now be a domino effect with other countries now.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by william76

The same comment could be added to other religions, not just the Catholic relgion.

I am in no way sticking up for them, but how many other religions have covered up similar abuses.

That needs to be investigated, these abuses are just the tip of the ICeberg, of the abuses, which have occured over decades within churches, religous run homes, state run homes etc. This is massive.

It is not until the Victims of the abuses come forward, will they investigate.

Most Victims of abuse, are afraid to come forward, either they do not want to relive the trauma off the abuses, or they do not want the stigmatization that, "they are the abused". Or " They are falsley accused of making accusations".

Those in power within religious demonations, need to be prosecuted also, for trying to cover this up.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

From what my mum tells me, priests in ireland cannot be alone with children today, you know the alter boy thing and all. I think thats sucha shame, like i said i was an alter boy in ireland and we had a very nice man as priest and trust me, most priests are like him, nice people.

This ireland thing has been going on for ages, with people trying to get truths out and i think ireland like england has lost the need for the church, as many today are just into the material wealth they can get.

Sad stories, but thats life, and remember this is something the society at whole all jobs, deals with.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
my earlier comments may seem provocative and i know most catholics are good people. check out this interesting site.

LINK

Mod Edit : fixed link to remove page skew

[edit on 11/26/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

With all due respect, for anyone who has been following this horror show over the last few years the facts are clear. The church has not merely been accused of covering up endemic child rape and sadistic violence but has been EXPOSED AS GUILTY but the weight of evidence and victim testimony.

This CRIMINAL organization should be loose their tax exempt status & be forcibly disbanded for their CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY (SPECIFICALLY CHILDREN). Full stop.

We are talking about systematic complicity in covering up & protecting predators & CHILD RAPISTS!

WTF!

PS - Not only in Ireland. Boston diocese anyone.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It is not normal day catholics whom is being trageted, it is those whom were in the position off religious authority, whom carried out these abuses, and managed to get away with it. And the Catholic Church were involved with the cover up. Really does not say alot with regards to them being the true, religion now does it!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It is disgusting and truly horrible the way they covered this up... and not only covered it up but really, really went out of their way to cover it up.

Sick, sick people.

That's those who abused and those who just covered it up.

They are all complicit and all as sick as each other.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Never mind

[edit on 26/11/09 by blupblup]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Nevermind?

Something on your mind there Blurp?

Why dont you u2u me with that comment, it seems tome you have and see if One has a responce! If you dare to that is

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

It is not normal day catholics whom is being trageted, it is those whom were in the position off religious authority, whom carried out these abuses, and managed to get away with it. And the Catholic Church were involved with the cover up. Really does not say alot with regards to them being the true, religion now does it!

i know it's the religous aithority who are being targeted. incidently i think man has corrupted all religions.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I thought I would let you know this incase you think that you as a follower of a religion is at fault. Off Course you are not at fault what so ever. It is those whom deem to have autority over your religion, that is whom has responsibility for the actions fo thier priests, and bishops.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

a lot of people covered it up victims families, police, politicians, government....it's messed up. that generation have a lot to answer for.

Originally posted by Laurauk
It is those whom deem to have autority over your religion, that is whom has responsibility for the actions fo thier priests, and bishops.

there were a lot of lowly people that covered this stuff up aswell, don't doubt it.

[edit on 26/11/09 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Would you not like to have the opportunity of challenging the, head of the Catholic Church over these abuses?

I for one would like to, in open public.

It is the same with every religion, weither islam, judiasm, christianity, there will be abuses and coverups! Should it be allowed, the ANSWER NO!

Missplet christinaity sorry!!

[edit on 26-11-2009 by Laurauk]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join