It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Id deadline looms 36 states not ready

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The REAL ID Act of 2005 is U.S. federal law that imposes certain security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for the state driver's licenses...

A snipped of this law read's

prohibiting all federal agencies from accepting any non-compliant drivers license or state identification card for any official purpose (e.g. boarding an airplane, applying for Social Security benefits, student loans, opening a post office box, entering a federal building, etc). This raises questions regarding the rights of the physically challenged, children, poor, and the elderly who receive benefits or services from federal government agencies. There are reasons why each may not hold a federally sanctioned, state-issued identification document. The PASS ID Act does not specify limits on the requirement of an approved identification document to access federal government services, benefits, or meet with federal employees in official settings. In effect, individuals will lose some level of citizenship and rights should they not hold a PASS ID.

This law takes effect Jan 1 2010...
Did you know, in the United States after Dec. 31, most people will need passports to fly anywhere, including inside the USA? Yep, the RealID mess - 36 states driver's licenses are not in compliance with federal law and will not be a legal form of ID. So if you want to fly or gain entrance into a federal building, you need a passport.

Many Stories

My state New Mexico is one of those 36 and unless congress extends or repels I too will need a passport

[edit on 26-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Last I heard, OR will refuse to comply.

Oregon State House passed Senate Bill 536 (SB0536), which “Prohibits state from expending funds to comply with federal Real ID Act of 2005 unless certain requirements are met.”

Lawmakers Say No

Ah well, I've got my micro-chipped passport, guess I don't need a "valid" I.D.

Lame.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I really don't want to have to go through all the hassle of getting a new Lic. I have a CDL, you know truck drivers Lic. this past Feb I renewed and thanks to the new TSA rules not only did I have to submit to a Homeland security background check... I had to pay for it $129.oo on top of the normal Lic fee's...

there's safe then there's unreasonably paranoid they went to far with this new ID

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
36 states aren't ready and another 13 states are refusing to comply.

What does that say about this Act?

Washington. Homeland Security.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

That says the act is DOA.

To bad this won't spread through the media. Once people figure out they can tell the federal gov where to stick it they wouldn't have any power left. Yes I know I'm dreaming.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

DOA? ya think it'll happen?

I wonder how it's going to work out? Will the states hang tough? Give in? Go into even more debt to finance this change-over? It's a huge mess. What a waste of time, dollars, focus and energy.

ed:
my response
was confused.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

What is the fed going to do if 49 of the 50 states are not ready, effectively not complying by default? I really don't see anything the federal government can do. Of course the TSA could refuse to allow people to board planes and all, but I believe the airline industry will have something to say for that.

People don't have to fly, not to mention it is getting rather expensive to fly with the economic downturn. Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

No, I misunderstood your meaning when you said the Act was DOA. My bad.

I agree, I hope the State Legislatures continue to fight this by whatever means they deem appropriate. As DaddyBare wrote above, they went too far...

ed: for spelling
lack of coffee.
Cheers

[edit on 26-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I agree, They have gone way to far.

What would be really nice if the states decided to not pay federal tax until the federal government decides to return to full constitutional authority. I don't see that happening though. One can dream though.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Another way to look at it is to say 36 + 13 states
are saying they are not willing to put up with that level of government intrusion?

either way DHS is screwed come Jan ! when most of the country is not in compliance

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think it's good move, more security for people.

Make two lines in an airport boarding, one line does not require any ID, any security checks, none at all....whereas 2nd line requires security check, ID Check etc. Which one will people opt for? One that is more risky or more safe? The more security the better in my view. Good move by the govt.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yet they say it is discrimination to expect people to show any kind of ID to register to vote?
Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?
On the plus side according to one of those articles Obama could never get a Florida drivers license because to date he will not show any of the required papers to qualify.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Just like electricity people will take the path of least resistance. And this move is what is called "security theater". In other words they have hired a bunch of low skilled employees to dig into your personal belongings and order you around just so you can "feel" safe.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

It's no longer an issue of good idea or not what we're face with now is being sandbagged...

Ask LadySkadi
how long it took her to her passport? that wait is going to get all the longer with more than half a nation with no choice but to apply. why would they... ever go to a post office? yes that too is a federal building and by this new law you'd need the Real ID to enter and my state ID is soon to be no longer valid...

if they really wanted to do this the feds never should have felt it up to the states, they should have coordinated this program themselves. now because of piss poor oversight people like me will be put out forced to wait months when we never did anything wrong... how is that fair or just

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
I think it's good move, more security for people.

Make two lines in an airport boarding, one line does not require any ID, any security checks, none at all....whereas 2nd line requires security check, ID Check etc. Which one will people opt for? One that is more risky or more safe? The more security the better in my view. Good move by the govt.

The no ID line. I don't think people should need an ID to travel anywhere.. who you are isn't relevant to where you're going, unless its private property. If the airlines decide they require people to show id then that is their right, but the federal government has no business mandating such a thing, it should be up to the states and the airlines.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by angrysniper]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't plan on getting a new Real ID even when and if my State has them available.

Federal Building? Drats I can't get in to see the IRS oh well!

Airports, you have to have pretty low self esteem to go anywhere in that system of suspicion and paranoia.

Drive, bicycles require no gas and no insurance.

The Federal Government can stick it's Real ID up it's Real______ I think they will all accept and agree when I am in their face even without an ID!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
My state is against the real ID and so far it has been not effort to comply with the federal guidelines.

As the states run out of funds due to the economic crisis the cost of the real ID surpass state funds so its relegated to a none necessary expense.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper

The no ID line. I don't think people should need an ID to travel anywhere.. who you are isn't relevant to where you're going, unless its private property. If the airlines decide they require people to show id then that is their right, but the federal government has no business mandating such a thing, it should be up to the states and the airlines.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by angrysniper]

Who you are is very much relevant. You can't let parole offenders, criminals, terrorism suspects, illegal immigrants etc travel freely thru state borders. No one can be judged their their face and skin, one should have a proper legal document to prove who you are. And people who have done nothing wrong would not be afraid to come in front and provide ID.

Federal govt. is involved because this plan works over different state boundaries and state govt. does not have jurisdiction over a different state. So they cannot enforce a central rule over several territories.

You mean you wan't Private Airlines to put rules for people covering state borders? This is a no brainer. When something goes wrong/illegal/accident etc on a plane or across state borders Airlines don't make decisions, Govt. does.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

It's no longer an issue of good idea or not what we're face with now is being sandbagged...

Ask LadySkadi
how long it took her to her passport? that wait is going to get all the longer with more than half a nation with no choice but to apply. why would they... ever go to a post office? yes that too is a federal building and by this new law you'd need the Real ID to enter and my state ID is soon to be no longer valid...

if they really wanted to do this the feds never should have felt it up to the states, they should have coordinated this program themselves. now because of piss poor oversight people like me will be put out forced to wait months when we never did anything wrong... how is that fair or just

State ID should only be valid within the state it is issued in. I'm surprised why it was not done before. Coordinate among themselves? How by making ID's of people on their own and keeping it with themselves? How will that help a person who would need to present the ID?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Who you are is very much relevant. You can't let parole offenders, criminals, terrorism suspects, illegal immigrants etc travel freely thru state borders. No one can be judged their their face and skin, one should have a proper legal document to prove who you are. And people who have done nothing wrong would not be afraid to come in front and provide ID.

It's no one's business who I am unless I am violating a law. I have no constitutional obligation to identify myself to anyone including Law Enforcement Authorities who can only hold me for 72 hours trying to figure out who I am if I choose not to tell them. At the end of 72 hours if they can't prove I am some one wanted or make a case for criminal wrong doing a Judge considers strong enough on it's face to continue detaining me and charging me officially with it, I go free.

I have no obligation or burden to prove to anyone I am not doing anything wrong or who I am.

That's the way it should be too. People so worried about their security and who everybody else is should either A. Stay home all the time, lock their windows and doors and carry around a shotgun in their home...or B. Invite everyone in the nation over for Thanksgiving and Christmas so they can personally get to meet everyone in a proper and sociable way not a POLICE STATE WAY.

I am not afraid of anyone or anything. America isn't about fear, it's about the land of the free and the brave and one of the things you are free to do at all times is protect your annonymity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join