It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Election - What are the issues?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by queuepolitely

A large portion of my view has been shaped by George Orwell's analysis of the political landscape in the 1930s.. And I really do concur with him on many levels..

It is the political will of the people that drive those who represent us, without it the Establishment can do whatever they wish..

The last few decades and certainly the current system of social engineering and media spin has created a situation where by the establishment, whatever colour tie they wear can do as they wish.

I'm not suggesting the establishment are trying to create a WW3, but feel the political landscape is very similar to the confused and hypocritical policies of the 1930s, which is in itself is very dangerous as it opens the door to extreme views.. and currently the establishment is the root cause of these extreme being part of the current political landscape.

I hope that we find the will to voice our needs to drive the policies of our nation, but the fact is we have to be engaged with the system to get it to work for us, until we do.. little can be done to change the status quo,

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Indeed well put but I can not see any of the discuss we are having appearing in any MSM soon which is wherin the danger lies, we need a full tilt shift of the reality that is being created for us, not on our behalf.

I thought V Cable is the only man talking an ouch of sense.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
British PM weeps on TV recalling daughter`s death.

The first issue that needs to be tackled is getting rid of New Labour and Gordon Brown at any cost. If they get re-elected this country is doomed.

The lengths this man will go to to hold onto power is truly disturbing. At least now we know why he's so bitter and twisted. This man is not mentally fit to be running this country and should resign or be forcibly removed.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Gordon Brown wept in public this weekend when he talked of the death of his daughter Jennifer and spoke of facing up to the possible premature death of his son Fraser, who has cystic fibrosis - and his hope a cure will be found.

He also spoke of his agony at the knowledge that his three-year-old son Fraser may have a 'poor life expectancy'.
A member of the audience said: 'It was remarkable to hear Mr Brown talk like that.
'He said he was the one who could tell Jennifer wasn't going to make it and he described how he held her tiny little hand until the very end.
'He was asked if he was angry about his son's illness and said, "We sometimes ask, why us? But we try not to be bitter.

Spare us the sob story, Gordon, we don't care.

With his one good eye on events the other side of the Atlantic, Gordon Brown has decided to share his personal 'story' with us.

He has convinced himself that if he reminds us about his rugby injury and his dead daughter, we'll forget about his incompetence, deceit, duplicity, dishonesty, downright lying, bullying, cowardice, volcanic temper tantrums, vanity, sulking, unjustified sense of entitlement, betrayal, bungling and boasting.

We'll be so overcome with emotion, empathy, sympathy and admiration that we will overlook the fact that this is the Man Who Stole Your Old Age, who shamefully sold out our sovereignty to unaccountable foreign politicians and judges, flogged off our gold reserves to the lowest bidder, destroyed the Union and taxed us into penury.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 7-2-2010 by kindred]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I find it interesting on this thread that we have not seen any discussions on energy security, its such a non-issue but probly one of the greatest problems that will affect this nation for the next 50years. Its the reason we are in Iraq and have been messing up the middle east for a 100years. Its the reason we are in Afganisthan supporting the ex CEO of an oil company that has been trying to run pipes across its country.

Were all too busy fighting over class issues that are set out to divide the country.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Maybe you British might like to consider Voting 1 China!

Personal Disclosure: I explain in detail why its a good idea, on ATS Here!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I think the issue is more around the divisive strategies and social engineering used over the last decade that has left the UK in a position where by important issues are left as side issues since no one really knows how to start and maintain a discussion about those issues..

The social stigma and labeling (social reaction) that has taken place over the last decade has reduced most discussions to no more than a few words before Godwins Law kicks in..

Until we get over that hurdle we are stuck in the limbo of discussing the MSM approved topics.

Godwins Law

[edit on 9/2/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
@ last news.bbc.co.uk...

We are hoplessly prepared for this and my belief is that we are peaking now, not in 2015 so this will be faced in the next parliment.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

We are as hopelessly unprepared for the day when the failing infrastructure of this country starts to give out.. the small amounts being invested in green tech is no way going to close the gap between the failing systems and our every day requirements.

All coming to a head and no discussion will ever take place while we are being manipulated by the Establishement via the MSM.. all spin and lies..

troubling days ahead

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm old enough to remember the previous 18 years of Conservative government AND the last 14 years of Labour.

Neither party deserve to be in power at the next election... NEITHER of them. They are both two sides of the same corrupt, useless, self-serving political coin.

This country needs a complete and MASSIVE political overhaul, and a HUGE reassessment of it's priorities.

We need REPRESENTATIVES in Parliament, not an old-boy's network whose sole purpose is to look after big business and their respective parties.

We need to get the state out of our business... Out with the whole 'Big Brother' crap.

We need to put a halt to immigration IMMEDIATELY... We're full, NO MORE ROOM!

We need to invest in our armed forces, but keep them for defence, and ONLY for defence... No more invading countries we have no business being in. No more 'Yes Sir, No Sir, 3 Bags Full Sir' to the USA.

We need to take back the issuing of our currency... Why the hell should any nation have to borrow money that is created expressly for that purpose out of thin air (and backed up by the fruits of our labour). Create your own money, cut out the middleman, stop paying interest and get some honesty back into the currency.

We need to invest in future modes of energy, transport, and general infrastructure... the country's falling to bits

I could go on with the 'We Need's', but you get the general idea.

Is any of this going to happen after the next election?... Most surely no

Are the Conservatives going to be in power after the next election?... Most likely yes

Will anything change? ... No

Are the majority of people going to be more interested in the latest Reality TV show, rather than doing anything to change the calamitous direction we're heading in?... Are they heck!

I've said it before and I'll say it again... We are soooo screwed!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dagar

Yes me to, but I also remeber that this country has been lurching from economic disaster to boom ever since WWII when we took one for the old boys network.....stiff upper lip Britian cracking on without complaint.

Total agree that we need to take our money back, how the people can accept the fact that we borrow and pay interest on our own money and the total lack of understanding of what inflation really is....a stealth tax is remarkable, yet the people I discuss this with, usually fairly comfortable middle class people just dont care as long as they are saving for a porchse.

I only disagree that we are 'Yes Sir' to the US. The US is now taking the crap that the British once did all those years ago, with Hitler for example. Lets not forget that BP and Shell have huge pay days from the Iraq war, we went in not to support the US but to continue our commitment to a structure that exists for the Brits and the US to continue to dominate world affairs.

We need massive investemtn in green energies and non centralised energy systems. Wont happen though, dosen't centralise power but gives it back to the people and we wont that will we.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Yep, I posted on another thread that we where still playing the Great Game in the ME.. he who controls the ME controls the world, absolutley regardless as to whether this country is falling apart or not, Their first call of duty is cash rewards for themselves...

It is begining to remind me of the 1830s when the SE went into open rebellion.. what people miss is that even at the Height of Empire, Englishmen, women and children where starving and being driven out of their homes due to under Employment..

The rich line their pockets and keep us divided along lies colour and where we live.. just look at the false North/South divide that exists to keep us split us as a nation..

We need a refresh of the whole system, it's broken, and although it has been broken a while now, the current level of greed is getting astounding.

I am really not sure how they will get people to repay the bailouts without causing a lot of unrest.. my guess is that is why they are dragging their feet on actually informing everyone how they are going to go about the task..

Oh well, interesting times ahead I guess.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
1. The economy- How to create more jobs, i.e. green technology, manufacturing increase? How to cut the deficit, how to regulate the City effectively.

2. Education system- A comprehensive strategy to keep up with the rest of the World.

3. NHS- Whether to cut or not? More Privatisation?

4. The Benefits system- Cut programmes or keep?

5. Foreign policy- realignment with Europe or continued 'special relationship' with U.S. Liberal Interventionism?

6. Armed forces- Trident replacement? Aircraft Carriers? F-35? Pay?

7. Controlled immigration? Cap on E.U workers? Points system?

For me anyway.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

"UK General Election - What are the issues?

We all know that there has to be a general election in 2010 so what are the issues that will vex the British voters?

Some ideas:

MPs expenses? [looked pretty cross-party and systemic to me - no sorry]

The war in Iraq? [Quite possibly given Gordo's senior role in that war cabinet and Chilcot]

The war on Terror and operations in Afghanistan [War on Terror not great for Labour IMO given their clumsy meddling with civil liberties, terror laws, policing, secret service and human rights stories, etc...ops in Afghanistan - again, Labour oversaw terrible mishandling of defence acquisition, safety and communications IMO]

Climate change [Demoted for many as a priority: a) Recent confusing 'climategate' stories b). Economic woes c). Tory/Labour/Lib all essentially likely to do very similar things IMO not different enough to matter - any chance of a Green co-alition anyone? That might spice things up a bit?].

Banking crisis [And the rest - economy is No. 1 IMO. But the banks...? Any which way you cut it it's a giant mess and the horse has bolted, all major parties will now struggle more with domicile tax/jobs/income retention more than voters grudges now IMO]

Economy climate" [no.1 but..]

I think there are other things:

The ethos and culture of the Labour legacy after such a long time in office: (Have enough people had a gutful of the negatives?) e.g. Over legislation everywhere, intrusive legislation, basically too much being told what and how to live our lives, erosion of civil liberties, cumulative spin disasters (lying), a repeated inability to pre-emptively route out corruption and/or other abuses of office (Nimrod, Chinook, Childrens Protection, Financial Sector, Secret Services, etc....) a fulfilment of many cliched labour characature features such as over-spending, the evolution of a bloated convoluted tax system, inability to prevent approaching crises in power/energy supply, immense growth of a restrictive and inflexible management culture that over-bloats the public services sectors...[bureaucracy]

Also, although the looming crises in pensions and demographic change to our population surfaced recently with that spat over elderly care, I doubt any party wishes to have the real meat and bones discussed more deeply or to be thought about too much by the electorate before the election, as it's too much of a hot potato. The problems are vast and many. How do you squeeze a quart (income required for services and pensions) from a pint pot (the dwindling percentage of young and pre-pension age workers). Now excacerbated by our debt problems. Oh, by the way, one of Gordo's key 'failings' even pre-global financial crisis, was widely agreed as being his decimation of pension funding in the UK. I'd like more debate around that*, for one...
[*that a growing elder percentage of voters have increasing demands, and influence, whilst a dwindling percentage of younger and working voters are required to prop up and re-build the former sectors needs and desires (high housing prices, high quality personal care and public services, pensions) ]

[edit on 16-2-2010 by curioustype]

[edit on 16-2-2010 by curioustype]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
As much as i dislike labour i do not like tories at all.

I think they will finoish the job of ruining the UK.

I would focus my efforts on Jobs, NHS and getting the people the power back.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
LEADING INVESTOR WARNS OF UK POUND GOING INTO A TAILSPIN

Billionaire financier Jim Rogers has predicted that the British Pound could completely collapse within weeks, sending shockwaves throughout the global economy and heralding the beginning of a downturn that would make the recent economic crisis look tame in comparison.

“Other currencies aren’t strong and the Euro has real problems, with cracks much wider than Greece beginning to show,” Rogers said.

“But it’s the Pound that’s most vulnerable. In real terms, it’s already devalued against virtually every currency barring the Zimbabwean dollar and it’s especially exposed over the weeks running up to the UK election. In a basket of currencies, the Pound is potentially a basket case. And that will put Britain in an extremely bad position for the shakedown.”

“The last few months have seen a ‘false bounce’, shorn up by massive short-term injections of government underwriting,” Rogers, the former business partner of George Soros, said.

“But it can’t last. We’ve been applying temporary sticking plasters, not long-term cures. Later this year we’ll see the start of the real recession, with more Lehman-scale disasters and a fallout which won’t stop until the underlying malaise is genuinely cured.” he added.

Rogers was quoted in a press release ahead of a keynote appearance at next month’s Global Trading Day seminar in Westminster along with investment advisor Dr Marc Faber and British trader Vince Stanzione.

Prominent Investor: Pound Could Collapse Within Weeks FOTR 340x1692

The British economy is facing a “double dip” after January figures put the idea of a recovery firmly on the backburner.

Rogers’ sentiments echo those of Swiss Bank UBS, which this week speculated that there could be a run on the pound if the government too aggressively tackles Britain’s huge deficit, projected to reach £178bn this year.

Last week, Sterling hit a nine month low against the dollar, falling to $1.05, and slumping beyond parity for the first time against the euro.

An announcement yesterday by Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, that the bank was ready to print more money and “do whatever seems appropriate”, sent the currency sinking once more.

Sterling fell sharply, from $1.5529 at 9.13am, just before King began speaking, to $1.5398 at 10.30am, when he finished giving evidence to MPs.

The stark downturn has led Jim Rogers and Marc Faber to predict a currency crash foreshadowing a full scale global “shakedown”.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join